No announcement yet.

Fender gets sexy right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are those single coil or humbuckers? I know nothing about gold foil pickups...are they a brand or a style? General sound?

For the record, that Jazzmaster is the first one I've ever seen that I actually want, hence the questions.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      the look or something else? i like the look in some cases
      I've never warmed up to the look.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
        Are those single coil or humbuckers? I know nothing about gold foil pickups...are they a brand or a style? General sound?
        They are Fender-branded humbuckers, but I imagine someone else is making them for Fender, seeing this is a limited run. Gold foils were mainly in student guitars or imports in the 60's and had a garage rock, surf, tone to them. They were also used a lot in blues also. They do not have a traditional tone. They are very lo-fi but very desirable for a lot of different styles and tones.

While the two electrics come fitted with Gold Foil mini-humbuckers – along with their own range of model-specific controls – the Jazz Bass offers a Gold Foil single-coil, which is at the mercy of master volume and tone knobs.

Comment

gold foil pups are a catch phrase these days that has everything to do with look, and little to do with whats under the cover. the original 50s models were bright and very low output, typically a bar magnet adjacent to the coil, with either pole pieces or a steel bar bringing the magnetism to the coil. weird and cheap to produce design but it does have a certain tone to it. modern ones can be almost anything as long as they have the gold foil look

Comment

gold foil pups are a catch phrase these days that has everything to do with look, and little to do with whats under the cover. the original 50s models were bright and very low output, typically a bar magnet adjacent to the coil, with either pole pieces or a steel bar bringing the magnetism to the coil. weird and cheap to produce design but it does have a certain tone to it. modern ones can be almost anything as long as they have the gold foil look
            I am going by what they were traditionally. Like lipstick pickups, it was more about the look than the tone. You are right though, these days, it can be anything, but it does limit what you can replace them with if you don't like them.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The ones that I've seen used that weird rubber magnet stuff (like what lace sensors use) instead of a typical bar magnet.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

rubberized ceramic

Comment

Working...
                X