I got to buy a straight edge for looking at neck relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
    I don't want a notched straight edge. I got a straight one.
    Well then, I guess this whole thread is moot.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      There are very few Luthier specific tools that cant be easily built or modified at home or accomplished by using another method,
      My strait edge is a piece of steel bar I got at Home Depot for $5, I cut it to my desired length.

Comment

One thing folks aren't talking about is 'problem' necks. I use the string to set relief all the time, but not every neck makes a smooth and even curve like we want them to. There can be small imperfections because of the nature of wood itself that make the response to the truss rod non-liner, as well as truss rod issues in installation or operation. It's when you're trying to sort out one of those that higher-precision tools become valuable.

I built a number of guitars with a 36" ruler from Home Depot, and always got them playing well eventually. Having precision machined straight edges (.0005 per running foot accuracy) in several sizes now lets me make necks with fewer issues to begin with, and to decipher problem necks more quickly.

Like most jobs, there are proper tools for the 'standard' fix and more sophisticated tools for the complex cases.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
          One thing folks aren't talking about is 'problem' necks. I use the string to set relief all the time, but not every neck makes a smooth and even curve like we want them to. There can be small imperfections because of the nature of wood itself that make the response to the truss rod non-liner, as well as truss rod issues in installation or operation. It's when you're trying to sort out one of those that higher-precision tools become valuable.

I built a number of guitars with a 36" ruler from Home Depot, and always got them playing well eventually. Having precision machined straight edges (.0005 per running foot accuracy) in several sizes now lets me make necks with fewer issues to begin with, and to decipher problem necks more quickly.

Like most jobs, there are proper tools for the 'standard' fix and more sophisticated tools for the complex cases.

Larry
          But if you've got one of those "problem necks", the best solution is to take the frets out and redo/straighten/flatten the fretboard first. In which case a slotted/notched straightedge doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

But if you've got one of those "problem necks", the best solution is to take the frets out and redo/straighten/flatten the fretboard first. In which case a slotted/notched straightedge doesn't help.
            And if the straightedge shows the frets are level, how would you know you have a problem neck? It's entirely possible to get frets level without addressing the underlying causes of a problem neck, at least for a while. The notched edge can help with that.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post

And if the straightedge shows the frets are level, how would you know you have a problem neck? It's entirely possible to get frets level without addressing the underlying causes of a problem neck, at least for a while. The notched edge can help with that.

Larry
              If the frets are level and the guitar plays fine, it doesn't matter if there are some irregularities in the wood. You "know" if there is a "problem neck" if you have a problem with the way it plays, and/or with a straight edge.

If the frets are level (and have been level) then you don't have a "problem neck", even if there is a bow in the neck itself. I have had necks where the frets have been leveled even though the neck had a slight bow. They were perfectly stable.

But IF you do have a neck where there is a bow in the neck (or a back bow) and the frets are not flat then you either need to just level the frets or do a refret after straightening the neck. In either case you don't really need a slotted straight edge. With a straight edge on top of the frets you can determine if the frets are flat and if the neck is straight.

I've been working on guitars to some extent for over 60 years, been making and repairing guitars for nearly 20 years and have NEVER had the need for a notched straight edge. I've thought about getting one several times, but after giving some reasonable thought, realized that I couldn't imagine any scenario (even the one you just gave) when I could actually use one.

You can either believe the advertising hype or you can use your logic and reason. Think about it.
              I'm perfectly fine with whatever you choose. I choose not to buy one.
              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-22-2023, 08:00 AM.

Comment

If the frets are level and the guitar plays fine, it doesn't matter if there are some irregularities in the wood. You "know" if there is a "problem neck" if you have a problem with the way it plays, and/or with a straight edge.

If the frets are level (and have been level) then you don't have a "problem neck", even if there is a bow in the neck itself. I have had necks where the frets have been leveled even though the neck had a slight bow. They were perfectly stable.

But IF you do have a neck where there is a bow in the neck (or a back bow) and the frets are not flat then you either need to just level the frets or do a refret after straightening the neck. In either case you don't really need a slotted straight edge. With a straight edge on top of the frets you can determine if the frets are flat and if the neck is straight.

I've been working on guitars to some extent for over 60 years, been making and repairing guitars for nearly 20 years and have NEVER had the need for a notched straight edge. I've thought about getting one several times, but after giving some reasonable thought, realized that I couldn't imagine any scenario (even the one you just gave) when I could actually use one.

You can either believe the advertising hype or you can use your logic and reason. Think about it.
                I'm perfectly fine with whatever you choose. I choose not to buy one.
                Amazingly, I'll use logic and reason (such as 'a neck which can be made to play with level frets can STILL have serious issues') AND consider a notched straight edge useful in specific cases.

Larry

Comment

I can turn most nuts with an adjustable wrench
                  but you would be amazed at how much easier task is when you use the correct tools

If you want to use a steaight edge without notches
                  Cool as long as you are happy with the results
                  Who are we to fault you

If you find it easier tonuse a notcjed straight edge
                  Sweet there are people who find this easier as well
                  i am one of these people

I find i can use the notches to check the fretboard with the frets installed
                  or move it so the notches dont align. And che the top of the frets

the notched edge isnt much more than the flat one

Its up to you

Have fun

Turn up loud
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Oh they are much cheaper on amazon

Guitar Neck Notched Straight Edge Luthiers Tool with String Action Ruler Gauge for Gibson 24.75" and Fender 25.5" Electric Guitars https://a.co/d/fXhQ1QL
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

No newbie to intermediate guitar tinkerer is going to do jack crap with a notched straight edge. Say a newbie uses a notched straight edge and finds the neck has a slightly different bow than the frets. What then is he going to do with that information? Lol. The only possible use is the one Ehd mentioned where before you begin a fret level, you want to make sure the neck itself is perfectly straight.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

If the frets are flat, and you can play without fret buzz, and you need a notched straight edge to see that the neck is not straight (because you can't see it by looking down the neck), then the amount that the neck itself is bent is so slight that it is insignificant and it doesn't need straightening.

Now I admit that I'm OCD about things being perfect in a guitar, and I would personally want the neck to be absolutely straight/flat when the frets are perfectly flat, but really, for most "normal" people, that tiny amount (that you can't even see with the naked eye) is not in need of fixing.

Now, if the neck is warped and out of flat by 1/8" or more, then YES, absolutely fix the neck before doing a fret job. BUT, you'd easily be able to see that without a notched straight edge.

Look, I'm not trying to force my opinion an anyone, I'm just trying to explain my reasoning. I certainly respect anyone's desire to buy the darn thing if he wants to and knows how (and when) to use it.

So I have to admit that I totally agree with Clint on this one.

Comment

(Oh no! What's happening to me?! I find myself agreeing with Clint almost all the time lately)!

Comment

(Oh no! What's happening to me?! I find myself agreeing with Clint almost all the time lately)!
                            He's always been smart but he acts with much more maturity since he stopped working at Walmart.

Comment

^ There's that.

I got my act together and learned stuff!
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 06-28-2023, 06:40 PM.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                                ^ There's that.

I got my act together and learned stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X