NGD: neon yellow Solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: neon yellow Solar

The other day I was thinking I wanted a really obnoxious pointy metal guitar. A trade later, and here it is. Tried to capture how brightly it almost glows. Out in the sun it’s ridiculous.
    Attached Files
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Well done on all purchase goals!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Well done on all purchase goals!
      I figured you'd like it.

Incidentally, when you're shopping for your 1 guitar a year, don't sleep on these. Sets up really nicely, can go stupid low if that's your thing. The Duncan Solar pickups are great, too. Based on a C5 and '59, great clean or with ignorant amounts of gain. I'd definitely buy another Solar.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Nice one! Even better done as a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Nice one! Even better done as a trade.
          The trade was with a 20 year old dude. He was driving an hour to meet me, so we decided to trade a bunch of crap (several guitars, a bass, a modeler, a rack EQ, and an amp were involved). He commented that he really appreciated a smooth transaction. I said, "Not to get all old guy on you, but back in the early Craigslist days, ALL the deals went like this one." He had a hard time believing that lol.

Comment

That's bright, alright! Totally 80s throwback. Nice score.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Now *that's* pointy! Congrats!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What’s the story on this brand? Did a quick look at their site - seems like a lot of guitar for the money. Pretty reasonable prices.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  What’s the story on this brand? Did a quick look at their site - seems like a lot of guitar for the money. Pretty reasonable prices.
                  Basically, Ola helped design a couple of the "Parallaxe" series guitars for Washburn as his signature models and was then able to keep those designs (and factory contacts) once he parted ways with Washburn, which he later used to launch Solar.

In my personal experience with both, Solar guitars are nearly identical to their earlier Washburn counterparts in terms of feel, build quality, design, etc. However, Ola has heavily expanded the Solar range with some very unique finishes and more premium options than Washburn would ever have offered. Obviously, the brand has been quite successful for him (due in large part to his "influencer" status and strategic marketing, of course).

Comment

Don't like the pointy or the reverse headstock but LOVE the color. Killer!
                    The color actually suits and compliments the pointy style, but I'd like to see what that color does to a more "conventional" shaped guitar.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                      This is the only Solar I've seen in person, let alone played, but if this one is any indication, they're really nice guitars. I'm particularly impressed that the switch, pots, and tuners don't feel cheap. The tuners in particular are very good. 18:1 and they feel like something you'd have bought as an upgrade. The bridge is a very good Hipshot copy, the matte finish doesn't stick to my hands or forearm... there's a lot of positive things to say about it. The only thing I replaced was swapping out the buttons for a DiMarzio Clip lock. I don't love the top button being on the back of the horn, but the guitar doesn't tip forward like other guitars I've played with a button on the back.

If you care about guitars being lightweight, it's well under 7lbs and balances well. With a 3" leather strap, it would probably feel weightless.

Comment

Working...
                      X