No announcement yet.

Dead Sounding Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the half rounds on mine round wound with the outaide flattened to feel like flats
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      No the strings are nickel wound, Im talking pure stainless
      Oh, so you DO have steel strings on (nickel wound steel).
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Oh, so you DO have steel strings on (nickel wound steel).
        Not necessarily, I could of been using pure nickel strings like the String Joy Broadway Classics, D'Addario Pure Nickel, GHS R+RL Pure Nickel, amongst a few companies that make pure nickel strings but yes I am using ss core, nickel wound strings.
        Last edited by Hsb; 09-12-2023, 10:59 AM.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Not necessarily, I could of been using pure nickel strings like the String Joy Broadway Classics, D'Addario Pure Nickel, GHS R+RL Pure Nickel, amongst a few companies that make pure nickel strings but yes I am using ss core, nickel wound strings.
          You realize that "pure nickel" is only referring to the wrap/winding on the string? The core in pure nickel strings is still steel (either round or hex) like other strings. (So, technically, "pure" nickel strings are actually nickel wound strings).
          And "nickel wound" strings have steel cores with 92-98% steel winding (2-8% of the winding material is nickel).

Comment

You refer to the String Joy Broadway strings...just so you know, here is what THEY say about their "pure" nickel strings...

"In our Broadways, we used a round steel core underneath the pure nickel wrap wire in order to give them a distinct character and feel when compared with the hexagonal core we use in our Signatures".

It is nice to be informed, and to understand the instrument you are playing before you start arguing with someone who knows better.

In your defense, however, there is a lot of advertising hype that doesn't tell the whole story. Manufacturers LOVE to deceive potential buyers in order to promote sales. It's all about money. Don't believe all the advertising hype you read. It's all very superficial.

Comment

Im not arguing anything and you knew exactly what I was talking about when Infirsr mentioned the strings, as everybody else.

Now back on topic at hand, new switch, tone block, claw and strings came im while I was away for a few, Ill see if I can get it all installed this weekend and see what happens
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Block, claw and new strings are on, little bit of an improvement in tone, has a little more breath to it.

Ordered the wrong pot, needed short shaft and ordered long shaft, will get a new one and give that a try also.
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Block, claw and new strings are on, little bit of an improvement in tone, has a little more breath to it.

Ordered the wrong pot, needed short shaft and ordered long shaft, will get a new one and give that a try also.
                  Which value did you get? For an M400 without a tone control, I found it needed a 250K to sound normal.

Comment

I ordered a 500k but but long shaft wont work, just ran over to my local shop and picked up a short shaft p/p pot
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I ordered a 500k but but long shaft wont work, just ran over to my local shop and picked up a short shaft p/p pot
                      I used resistors to simulate a tone control on mine. with a 500K PP.

Comment

How did this guitar turn out with the upgrades?

I forgot to ask how heavy it is? I just weighed my 2019 M400 and its a hair over 9# which is what I expect for a full depth mahogony body, maple neck, and floyd.

But I see the satin black ones on SW are 7-7.5#. So they are 1.5-2# ligher than mine. I imagine they sound very different. I didn't know a mahogony M-shape could be that light.

Comment

Its better but still feels a little compressed and restrained. I can live with it this way a bit more than before but if the right opportunity came along to trade it in something I want, Id probably make that trade.

One other mod I did was put the BW in a pickup ring, didnt like the direct mounted pickup in the bridge. Still need to do the neck, just need to get a new neck pu.

As far as weight Im not sure, havent weighed but out of the three guitars I have its def the heaviest with my Iceman being the lightest and the MH1000 right in the middle.
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                          X