No announcement yet.

Most "traditional" 5 way HSS Strat setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mincer , sounds like traditional Strats are more complex than I thought. I considered them the P Bass of guitars before this thread.

As far as the switching positions, some of the Ibanez schemes on the 5 way seem pretty complex. Variations on a 5 way import style switch made me hesitant about starting this project.

I'm reaching out to various companies for a 3 hole pickguard with DPDT on on on option predrilled that with fit the SDX. If I can't find that, I may do a concentric tone on the front pot (singles and bridge) and a push/pull phase on the volume going to the center single like beaubrummels suggested since this guitar is going for a vintage flavor.

I'll probably go this route because SD has a tone/tone/hum diagram. I always start with SD and then go from there. Sometimes one diagram will help me wire an individual pot but I'll have to find another diagram to help me connect components correctly.

Interesting that you mention the Classic Stack. I think those were replaced by the Plus version, weren't they? I have the Classic Stack in the middle position of my Jackson DK2S built around 2008. I wired it to split. Not sure which coil I did as I was doing the minimum amount necessary to avoid messing up the Sustainiac.

Can't say I used it much but it sounded fine in the middle with the Sustainiac as a single coil neck humbucker.

All I did was replace the stock JB with a Distortion in the bridge and wire that to split on the back coil along with the Classic in the middle. I actually like a little bit of noise and hiss. Reminds me I have a single coil.

I probably seem strange for liking single coil noise and hiss. Maybe to make this make more sense, I always considered a Vox AC30 to be a brittle/shrill/bright amp with a lot of hiss (I associate its clean sound with U2 but it is tamed by all the delay they use). Yet, if I were to use a noise gate on it I think it would kill the character of the amp.

I'm the same way with single coils. That said, I wouldn't want radio stations coming through my pickups. I'd probably prefer hum canceling singles if I played live more as well. Even true singles are fairly quiet where I record. I'm more concerned about picking up PC noise through vocal mics.

Comment

Oh, when I said Classic Stack, I mean the + version...sorry!
      Stacked singles won't stop radio stations, but they do stop hum. If I have at least 1 hum-cancelling pickup (like a regular humbucker, side by side little humbucker, or stacked single), then I want all positions to be hum-cancelling. I hate switching pickups and hearing hum in some positions and not others. But that doesn't bother some people, I guess.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This made me think another way I could do this and free up a slot would be for the middle toggle to be front single coil, middle single coil, humbucker rear single coil. If I made the concentric pots volumes instead of tones I could isolate the rear humbucker or the front two singles. I could have a single tone as the push/pull parallel.

I'd be giving up the 3 way on on on and killswitch, but depending upon how my pickguard quest goes this could be a solution.

Comment

Working...
        X