Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they have the same relief?

Comment

Probably not. I suspect my Player Strat's neck is more straight than my Hendrix Strat is. Actually the more I play my Player the more I'm getting used to it. Happy to have two Strats which are great guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        Neck shape, radius, nut width all make for very different feeling guitars. FWIW, I can happily get along with just about anything except narrow nuts or very thin necks.
        By "narrow nuts" are you referring to the width of the neck at the nut (ex: 1 9/16", 1 5/8", etc.)?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

By "narrow nuts" are you referring to the width of the neck at the nut (ex: 1 9/16", 1 5/8", etc.)?
          Yeah . . . for me, nut width is really important to how a neck feels in the hand. 1 11/16ths is where I'm happiest. I've learned to tolerate 1 3/4 on my Taylor but it's not my preference. Smaller is a real turn off when I pick up a guitar.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Well now I'm having buzzing problems on my Player Strat. This Strat I bought from Sweetwater and it had a Plek job. Played beautifully when I got it and for a short time afterwards, but now the neck has moved or shifted and I'm getting buzz.

I will see what I can do to get rid of it, but I may need your help.

Comment

Is it buzzing on open strings as well as fretted notes?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Buzzing on fretted notes and possibly the open E string (high E). I think I may have it playing better now. I have to play it more to come to a solid conclusion.

Comment

Any environmental changes lately?

Comment

Honestly, and without meaning any offense, you need to learn to measure and set up your own guitars. Every player really needs to be able to do that. Measurements allow you to get the 'feel' the way you want it on almost any quality instrument. I, like many, started here: https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Ele.../dp/0879309989

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
                      Well now I'm having buzzing problems on my Player Strat. This Strat I bought from Sweetwater and it had a Plek job. Played beautifully when I got it and for a short time afterwards, but now the neck has moved or shifted and I'm getting buzz.

I will see what I can do to get rid of it, but I may need your help.
                      Plek job is generally a waste of money on a new guitar. If the neck is changing, the accuracy of the plek job is lost. Obviously try a truss rod adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                        Honestly, and without meaning any offense, you need to learn to measure and set up your own guitars. Every player really needs to be able to do that. Measurements allow you to get the 'feel' the way you want it on almost any quality instrument. I, like many, started here: https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Ele.../dp/0879309989

Larry
                        This is a great book that should be in every guitarist's library. It is more useful to the electric player than his other book 'Guitar Player Repair Guide'.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Yeah . . . for me, nut width is really important to how a neck feels in the hand. 1 11/16ths is where I'm happiest. I've learned to tolerate 1 3/4 on my Taylor but it's not my preference. Smaller is a real turn off when I pick up a guitar.
                          Agreed 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Agreed 100%
                            It seems to be a grown up thing. . .

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

It seems to be a grown up thing. . .
                              I don’t get it…..?

Comment

I am trying to set up my own necks. I have to now that my technician passed away. But it's going to take time like everything else in the world takes some time to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X