Fly on little birds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly on little birds!

Around 2015-16 I picked up a PRS SE Custom 24. It played great and had a beautiful quilted maple veneer. I realized that I do not like the sound of a 24 fret guitar. I tried several modifications to see if those could possibly change my mind. But, even with the modifications it wasn't happening. I listed it for sale but only received a couple replies.

On Friday, I got a trade offer on my PRS SE for a 2009 Fender American Special Strat. I'm thinking this guy is trying to slip one by me or he's under the influence! I decided to meet with him yesterday to see the guitar. Besides a couple of bumps and bruises the guitar was in very good condition. Without a doubt it needed a full set up. The intonation was out, the bridge saddles looked like a roller coaster and it needed a cleaning. The guy tells me he picked it up in a trade on Thursday from some 17 year old who states the guitar has hardly been played. It was true. The frets were in immaculate condition. No wear, divots, nothing. No sign of a refret either. I think if the guy had taken the time to have it set up properly he would of kept it. I believe that's the whole reason he was looking to get rid it.

It was a huge relief to finally get rid of a guitar that I truly did not like and ended up with a guitar that I will want to play.

cool, enjoy the new guitar. what color is it? i think i remember them doing some sweet custom colors on those

Comment

It's the two tone sunburst. I've got a Screamin' Demon full size humbucker that I'm going to throw in it. I've always wanted a HSS Strat for a long time so now I have the means to do just that. I hope the Screamin' Demon will work with the Texas Specials that's are already in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
        The guy tells me he picked it up in a trade on Thursday from some 17 year old who states the guitar has hardly been played. It was true.
        17 year old took it out of case at his dad's house, traded it to some random guy for some MTG cards, then he traded it to you.

17 year old got some new MTG cards.
        Random guy gets your SE 24 Custom and his hands are clean.
        You get an American strat.
        Kid's dad gets the shaft.

Seriously, though good find. It does sound of dubious origin but you didn't steal it. I just wouldn't try to trade it in at a GC or play out with it for a few years.

Comment

I don't blame you- I don't like the sound of 24 fret guitars, either.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
            17 year old took it out of case at his dad's house, traded it to some random guy for some MTG cards, then he traded it to you.

17 year old got some new MTG cards.
            Random guy gets your SE 24 Custom and his hands are clean.
            You get an American strat.
            Kid's dad gets the shaft.

Seriously, though good find. It does sound of dubious origin but you didn't steal it. I just wouldn't try to trade it in at a GC or play out with it for a few years.

My take on it was the Dad buys his son the guitar. Son realizes that he has to actually put effort and time into learning the instrument. Son loses interest and trades the guitar for whatever piques his interest for the next several minutes. I don't believe anything was or is shady about the guitar or the trade. Besides, the Random guy listed the guitar with the serial number on a public platform. He's the one that made the initial contact. He's the one with "intent". I have no worries. I don't think these guys had a clue how good this guitar really is. It was so out of whack that they probably thought the guitar was defective! As far as trading, it's not going to happen now or in a few years. And yes, I get an American Strat!

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post

My take on it was the Dad buys his son the guitar. Son realizes that he has to actually put effort and time into learning the instrument. Son loses interest and trades the guitar for whatever piques his interest for the next several minutes. I don't believe anything was or is shady about the guitar or the trade. Besides, the Random guy listed the guitar with the serial number on a public platform. He's the one that made the initial contact. He's the one with "intent". I have no worries. I don't think these guys had a clue how good this guitar really is. It was so out of whack that they probably thought the guitar was defective! As far as trading, it's not going to happen now or in a few years. And yes, I get an American Strat!
              What dad buys a 17yo kid a 2K guitar as their first guitar? What dad wouldn't be mad if the kid traded it for some MTG cards?

I don't think its illegal, just playing around.
              Last edited by Top-L; 10-01-2023, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Glad you got a better guitar out if the deal. Hope it's great after a setup.
                I bet the Demon will be good in that.

I traded my only SE (plus some cash) for a much nicer core model PRS.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Sounds like you got the better end of that deal. Congrats.
                  The Demon should be great. Add a p/p to split the Demon or put it in parallel (for some great Strat in-between quack).
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

What dad buys a 17yo kid a 2K guitar as their first guitar? What dad wouldn't be mad if the kid traded it for some MTG cards?

I don't think its illegal, just playing around.

I’m not sure if you’re referring to the guitar that I got in the trade as being 2K. It wasn’t even $1000. The Strat that I got was around $800 brand new back in 2009. Apparently, the build quality of the Special is in between the Highway 1 and a Standard. Supposedly, from the information I could find there was only a $200 difference between each model. The prices today……ridiculous.

Comment

Nice trade. Yeah, the Screamin' Demon will be fine with the Texas Specials.

Comment

[QUOTE=eclecticsynergy;n6251206]Glad you got a better guitar out if the deal. Hope it's great after a setup.
                        I bet the Demon will be good in that.

I traded my only SE (plus some cash) for a much nicer core model PRS.
                        [/QUOTE

Thanks! This guitar plays great after the set up. I still need to do some final tweaking to the bridge. Right now it’s decked but I’m going to set it up to float. I’m really pleased with this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Sounds like you got the better end of that deal. Congrats.
                          The Demon should be great. Add a p/p to split the Demon or put it in parallel (for some great Strat in-between quack).
                          Thanks! To be honest, I got really lucky with this trade. It only took 7-8 years to get it!

I’ve heard the Screamin’ split and it didn’t sound too bad. But, I’ve got another Strat for the quacks. I appreciate your suggestion, though.

Actually, the Texas Special pickups don’t sound bad at all. They’re very clear sounding and handle overdrive and distortion pretty good. I do admit that the bridge pickup is bright but I back off on the tone knob anyways so that’s not too much of an issue.

I’m pretty excited to hear what the Screamin’ Demon sounds like in this guitar. If it doesn’t work, I’ve got a few other humbuckers I can try.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            Nice trade. Yeah, the Screamin' Demon will be fine with the Texas Specials.
                            Thank you! Appreciate the vote of confidence about the Screamin’ Demon. Looking forward to it.

Comment

It is likely that the Demon is out of phase with the Texas Specials, so you'd have to reverse the black and green wires if you get a thin, hollow sound when the middle pickup is on with the bridge pickup.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X