Fly on little birds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    It is likely that the Demon is out of phase with the Texas Specials, so you'd have to reverse the black and green wires if you get a thin, hollow sound when the middle pickup is on with the bridge pickup.
    Yes, good point. If wired to split in the 4 position with the middle pickup, definitely do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      It is likely that the Demon is out of phase with the Texas Specials, so you'd have to reverse the black and green wires if you get a thin, hollow sound when the middle pickup is on with the bridge pickup.
      Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Yes, good point. If wired to split in the 4 position with the middle pickup, definitely do this.
        Wait, I thought the Demon was going in the bridge. Bridge plus middle is usually the #2 position on a 5-way.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Wait, I thought the Demon was going in the bridge. Bridge plus middle is usually the #2 position on a 5-way.
          I've seen it counted both ways. 1-5 from neck to bridge and 1-5 from bridge to neck.

Comment

Wanted to write an update. Well, I didn't care for the Texas Special pickups after all. They were too bright for me and there was something going on with the bridge pickup that I couldn't quite figure out. I had a set of Eric Johnson pickups sitting in a drawer and installed them. They sound great in this guitar. Definitely better. But, before I install the Screamin' Demon I think I'll load up a SSL-5 (bridge) to see how it matches up with the EJ's. I had to install better tuners on the guitar also. The stock tuners had too much slop which I think was one of the factors with tuning instability. Luckily, I had a set of tuners from a 1996 American Standard that I used to own. They're staggered so I should be able to get rid of the D and G string tree. Maybe both of the trees. So it seems that everything is falling into place with this guitar. The only cash investment I'll have with this guitar is the cost of a new HSS pickguard if the SSL-5 doesn't work out.

Comment

I've never been able to get along with PRS guitars, and I've probably played 40 of them. I don't know if it's the neck, scale length, neck shape, or what, but it's something. Anyways, I'm glad you got something that you can enjoy.

Comment

No pics of the old or new guitar?

THIS THREAD IS LIES!!!!!! ALL LIES!!!!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  I've never been able to get along with PRS guitars, and I've probably played 40 of them. I don't know if it's the neck, scale length, neck shape, or what, but it's something. Anyways, I'm glad you got something that you can enjoy.
                  For me, it's the sound of a 24 fret guitar. I can't really explain or pinpoint it. It just sounds odd to me. Yeah, I'm glad I got something better! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    No pics of the old or new guitar?

THIS THREAD IS LIES!!!!!! ALL LIES!!!!
                    Hahaha!!! Do I have to upload pictures to another "host" in order to post pictures here?

Comment

No, you can upload them directly as an attachment.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks Mincer!
                        Watching the Bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
                          Thanks Mincer!
                          Watching the Bolts?
                          Indeed. I also go to several games a year. Nothing like watching live.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	6253819

This is how the guitar looked when I got it. I'm not a fan of the white pearl pickguard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	6253820

The EJ's were already loaded on the pickguard so I just went ahead and installed it. I'm still on the fence about the black pickguard. I'm thinking of either a parchment, which was stock, or tortoise colored pickguard.

Comment

Working...
                            X