I'm out of tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm out of tune

When I played a perfect fifth up the neck it sounded out of tune. I then checked the intonation on both the G and the D strings. According to the tuner, the fretted G string at the 12th fret is quite a bit sharp when compared to the 12th fret harmonic.

Problem is I can't turn the intonation screw on the G string any further back. The G string saddle needs to go further back in order for me to get that string better intonated.

What is the solution?

Put in a shorter spring?

Should I just take the current spring and a pair of wire cutters and cut some of the spring off to make it shorter?

Put on a fresh set of strings and go from there.

Comment

No. The strings are fresh. The saddle needs to go back.

Comment

Is the action high? Can you lower the action at all?

Comment

The action sits pretty well where I like it. Not sure why you guys are recommending this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
            The action sits pretty well where I like it. Not sure why you guys are recommending this stuff.
            Because I've never in 45 years had a G that had to be that far back that you couldn't adjust it.

Comment

I had a Carvin Les Paul copy that also had a G string that would not intonate properly. The G string is usually the string that has to go the furthest back.

Comment

I got it a little better now. But it should go just a little bit further back.

Comment

Can you find a smaller spring?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

When I played a perfect fifth up the neck it sounded out of tune. I then checked the intonation on both the G and the D strings. According to the tuner, the fretted G string at the 12th fret is quite a bit sharp when compared to the 12th fret harmonic.

Problem is I can't turn the intonation screw on the G string any further back. The G string saddle needs to go further back in order for me to get that string better intonated.

What is the solution?

Put in a shorter spring?

Should I just take the current spring and a pair of wire cutters and cut some of the spring off to make it shorter?
                    Did you check the crown of the frets -are they Jumbos? Ive seen this probably on big fat miscrowned 6000 and 6100 fret wire sometimes.

Also, is the nut slot perhaps cut wrong compared to the others.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I had a Carvin Les Paul copy that also had a G string that would not intonate properly. The G string is usually the string that has to go the furthest back.
                      On none of my guitars is the G string farther back than lowE or A. This has to be user error.

My guess is that your tuner is not accurate enough to set intonation. Of my tuners, only the Korg Pitchblack is accurate enough to set intonation. There are harmonics which could trick the tuner or your ear.

Also, you shouldn't be intonating the 12th fret to the 12th harmonic. Instead, intonate the 10th fret to the 22nd fret, or the 12th fret against the 24th.

If the string is legitimately back too far because the guitar was built wrong, you can use a different gauge of string (smaller, larger?) to change string length at a given tension.

You are getting all this free tech advice yet you don't seem thankful. This is my last freebie.

Comment

Another question: What brand of strings? I ask because in the past I gave DR a shot on one of my guitars, my #1 in fact, and it was perfectly intonated with the Dean Markley's I had on it. As soon as I put the DR's on (same gauge), it was all over the place and I could not get it to intonate for anything. I yanked the DR's and put a fresh set of Dean Markley's on and it was perfect as it was before. I've been using Ernie Ball strings for a long time too and never had an issue with those. So, yeah, that's why we are asking. We've been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

You are getting all this free tech advice yet you don't seem thankful. This is my last freebie.
                          I get that vibe too, but sometimes in the past it was someone who isn't a native english speaker and when they scribe in english a cultural norm in their language it comes out harsh...

not sure about this case.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            Another question: What brand of strings? I ask because in the past I gave DR a shot on one of my guitars, my #1 in fact, and it was perfectly intonated with the Dean Markley's I had on it. As soon as I put the DR's on (same gauge), it was all over the place and I could not get it to intonate for anything. I yanked the DR's and put a fresh set of Dean Markley's on and it was perfect as it was before. I've been using Ernie Ball strings for a long time too and never had an issue with those. So, yeah, that's why we are asking. We've been there.
                            Yes -I had that experience with handmade/wound strings like DR as well.... I avoid them now -the variation is too great

Comment

It's the nut. NOT the bridge.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X