No announcement yet.

Selling my Epi LP... what to get next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling my Epi LP... what to get next?

So I'm selling my Epi LP 1959. Looks, plays, and sounds OK, but I can't help it but compare it my Gibson Les Paul Tribute, and it just loses in every aspect. It looks pretty, until you compare it to a Gibson, and the proportions are all slightly off (with an ugly headstock too IMO), it plays well until I compare it to the Tribute which has an ever-so-slightly thinner neck and plek'd frets, and it sounds decent until I compare it the Gibbo. That's the most drastic thing for me.

But it's a decent guitar still, so I figured I'd pass it on. Part of the reason is I want to get the funds for another guitar, but I don't know which.

I was thinking either an SG Tribute or a PRS S2. Those don't cover the same ground as my Les Paul Tribute, but I'm sure I'd get along with better as they're not directly comparable to the LP Tribute which for now, is the guitar I've bonded with the most.

However, I also have a Squier Classic Vibe Esquire that I also really like. Sounds... I mean, it's the way I expect a Tele to sound: thin and wiry. It has a nice neck profile. Problems I have with it are 1. the body is multipiece with a translucent finish, so it looks mega cheap and thrown together, and 2. the neck is slightly unstable and sensitive to temperature changes. I usually don't have a problem with that guitar the way it is since it was so cheap, but I wonder if I went for a Mexican Tele, I'd love it even more. I mean, after all, I could just transplant the upgraded hardware I have in the Squier to the Mexican Tele, move the cheapie Mexican hardware to the Squier, and sell it.

So I'm torn between those options: SG Tribute in red, although the local store only has a couple which have got a horribly sickly pale fretboard, a PRS S2, although I'm not crazy about it having a trem, or a Mexican Tele, which I'm not sure I love it having a 9.5" fretboard radius.

Opinions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-20-2023, 05:36 PM.

All those choices are terrible. Get a banjo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
      All those choices are terrible. Get a banjo.
      LOL, I'd assume your recommendation was a Paul Gilbert guitar?

Comment

I'd go PRS S2 McCarty. Excellent feel, comfortable to play. Can do SG/LP sounds, but also Fendery sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I'd go PRS S2 McCarty. Excellent feel, comfortable to play. Can do SG/LP sounds, but also Fendery sounds.
          Oh, I'd love one of those, but those are a bit over my price range. I was thinking about the S2 Satin.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            LOL, I'd assume your recommendation was a Paul Gilbert guitar?
            BANJO. FMD. Learn to read.

Comment

What is the price range, anyway? Are you looking to get something you don't yet have, or just a different version of what you already have & already know you like?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Get a V
                ​​​​
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  What is the price range, anyway? Are you looking to get something you don't yet have, or just a different version of what you already have & already know you like?
                  Um... around 1K? ish?

I just want to get something that I like visually and that plays well that I can grab as a second guitar that doesn't make me go "yeah, this sounds like my Les Paul, just worse". Hence why I like my Esquire. Because it's so different that I just don't feel like there is a way to compare it to my Les Paul. I mean, I probably won't use it to record, but it sounds nice to just break habit.

I play Metal, but as you can see, none of my choices are all that Metal. If I got a Tele, I'd drop a Super Distortion T or something in there. I just want it to visually look like a Tele, but I don't want it to sound like one. Same with the PRS. Or the SG. I certainly won't be playing AC/DC, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

BANJO.
                    No. I don't live in a ****ing swamp.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                      Get a V
                      ​​​​
                      I would if I played out, LOL.

I'd rather get an Explorer than a V, TBH.

Comment

Its time for a seven string.

Comment

S2 sounds like a great option for you. Bridges the tone gap between Gibson and Fender voicings nicely.
                          And IMO everyone should have at least one guitar with a trem. Adds another kind of expressiveness to your arsenal.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think it might be time to start playing lots of different guitars to narrow the choices down. Make a list of features that are important to you. Balance? Weight? Color? Ergonomics? Number of points on the body?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

One "point" (as in a "pointy" body) is 10 too many.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X