Selling my Epi LP... what to get next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Yamaha Revstar. Not a Gibson. Not a Fender. No vibrato. Solid colors. Pickups, bridge and tuner hardware are standard, replaceable, moddable. Under $1000.
    Interesting!

Comment

I never played an SE that I liked.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My only SE played well and stayed in tune just fine. But it'd had a PRS USA nut installed.
        The tuning trouble might not be mostly with the import trems, I think, but with the import nuts.
        The import humbuckers were definitely lackluster though.

Not necessarily saying the cheap trem sustained as well as my core models.
        But that's a more complicated issue since the neck wood is an important factor too.
        Body wood as well, I think, though to a much lesser extent.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I listened to all the SG/PRS yap.

Trade it on another real Les Paul.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Get a Mexican Tele, preferably a Classic Player Baja Tele. You will not regret it.
            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

If you don't care for what's on the headstock..something 'Cort' for maximum bang for the buck..

Cort Menace

{img}https://sirclocdn.com/nafiriguitar/products/_220528233220_Antique%20SB%20%281%29_full.jpg[/img}

Cort G300 Pro

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I listened to all the SG/PRS yap.

Trade it on another real Les Paul.
                Honestly, that's not a bad idea at all, LOL.

I'd love a Classic, but I wouldn't say no to a Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Honestly, that's not a bad idea at all, LOL.

I'd love a Classic, but I wouldn't say no to a Studio.
                  Said it before, I'll say it again; A Studio is all the Les Paul you really need.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you want a Gibson, you can't get a better one than the Studio. Best bang for the buck Gibson available. (Plus they don't have that stupid Gibson neck binding).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I like the neck binding. I don't need the neck binding. But I like the neck binding. I just don't like the burst finishes on the Standards, nor do I need the flamed maple top. I like the flamed maple top, but I think solid finishes are elegant as well. That's why I really want a Classic. It's got the body thickness of a Standard, but it's stramlined like a Studio.

But I also want a wine red Studio. Or a white Studio with the gold hardware, but I don't think those are being currently made?

Comment

Have a look at a used Ibanez SZ520. I got one for $350. I upgraded the pickups (Duncan Designed Distortion bridge and 59 neck) because I wanted something different.
                        Plays better than my LP and plays/looks as good as the PRS McCarty S2 that I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                          Have a look at a used Ibanez SZ520. I got one for $350. I upgraded the pickups (Duncan Designed Distortion bridge and 59 neck) because I wanted something different.
                          Plays better than my LP and plays/looks as good as the PRS McCarty S2 that I tried.
                          I used to have an SZ320 at one time. I loved it for what it was, but it didn't sound amazing. Played alright, but could've used a fret level. I think I'd prefer the 320 over the 520. Some 520's look great, but most of them have underwhelming tops. At least from the ones I've seen here locally. I'll keep an eye out, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            I used to have an SZ320 at one time. I loved it for what it was, but it didn't sound amazing. Played alright, but could've used a fret level. I think I'd prefer the 320 over the 520. Some 520's look great, but most of them have underwhelming tops. At least from the ones I've seen here locally. I'll keep an eye out, though!
                            I tried a Screaming Demon in the bridge, with A5, with A8, and with filter screws. It was not making it.
                            So I installed a set of EMG Retro Active Fat 55 and now my SZ520 sounds very good.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                              I tried a Screaming Demon in the bridge, with A5, with A8, and with filter screws. It was not making it.
                              So I installed a set of EMG Retro Active Fat 55 and now my SZ520 sounds very good.
                              Mine had EMG's back in the day. I just meant that mine was acoustically kinda dead-sounding. Not very fat as I would've thought with the fat neck and body.

The neck profile was REALLY nice, though. Kinda fat-ish, but slightly Ibanez-ish as well. Loved the bridge as well aesthetically and functionally.

Mine came stock with the no-name pickups before they put Duncan Designed Distortions/Demons in them. I did try a bunch of EMG's in the bridge, though. 81, 81X, 85, 81TW. I had a Super Distortion in it before. It was my first pickup swap.

I would love to find another one, though. I guess it's kind of a gamble any guitar, expensive or not, but many pros were palying the 320's back in the day.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-24-2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Mine is very lively acoustically. And such a joy to play.
                                EMG Retro Active are very different from other EMG pickups. Fat 55 are more like hot vintage passive pickups, in sound and feel. I have a set of 60/S/S and they sound like they're made from a different company

Comment

Working...
                                X