Kirk Hammett strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I was more referring to the construction and components, but I also said YMMV
    No, yeah. I understood you. What I meant is that the components on an EVH might not be Soldano-good, but they're not Bugera-cheap. Yet, it still hisses. That's what I meant.

But regardless of components, cheap or not, all amps hiss more the more you turn the distortion up. The only exceptions to that rule are amps with built-in noise gates. And like I said, most amps don't have noise gates in them.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-26-2024, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      No, yeah. I understood you. What I meant is that the components on an EVH might not be Soldano-good, but they're not Bugera-cheap. Yet, it still hisses. That's what I meant.

But regardless of components, cheap or not, all amps hiss more the more you turn the distortion up. The only exceptions to that rule are amps with built-in noise gates. And like I said, most amps don't have noise gates in them.
      Actually, that's not been my experience. I've owned and experienced amps that you didn't know they were on until you hit the strings. Usually when they were brand new. After years and components aging/overheating, then hiss comes in.

Comment

Actually, that's not been my experience. I've owned and experienced amps that you didn't know they were on until you hit the strings. Usually when they were brand new. After years and components aging/overheating, then hiss comes in.
        Maybe you've not noticed. Like I said, some amps are quieter than others. But it's unvariable that as you add more distortion (you're adding more gain, which just means you're amplifying past what the first few stages' headroom is), you're adding more noise because well... you're making things louder inside the amp.

Try it. Set the gain to 0. Hear how much hiss. Set the gain to max. Hear how much hiss. There is more, regardless of which amp. This is with ANY high-gain amp. Wether it's an issue or not for you is totally up to you, I agree, but even the fanciest components are not 100% noise fre. And as you turn the gain knob up, you're just amplifying the noise, little as it may be, that you're catching from the first few stages.

I don't know how much gain high-gain amps have on tap nowadays, but I bet they're amplifying the input signal tens if not hundreds of time.

You're right in saying "YMMV" in that some amps have cheaper components that are less noise-rejecting. Some amps circuits are more prone to noise than others. And some amps are higher gain than others. But no circuit is ideal and 100% noise-free unless you're using like an Axe FX or something like that. That is not really "YMMV".

What I do think "YMMV" is how tolerant you are of noise in your loud high-gain amp.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-26-2024, 07:21 PM.

Comment

This is the only KH tone I would ever be interested in..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240128-105918.png
Views:	47
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	6268600

....And I sure as heck wouldn't pay anywhere near 9k for it.
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Actually, that's not been my experience. I've owned and experienced amps that you didn't know they were on until you hit the strings
            Same here. I am pathologically obsessed with amp and line noise. My rig is super quiet and I am using 2-3 gain stages.

Comment

Expensive signature gear should always be exactly what the artist uses- that’s what you pay for.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X