• PLEK'd guitars

As far as I know, the following makes and models are PLEK'd:
    -G&L US models
    -Ernie Ball US models
    -Gibson US models
    -Suhr
    -Emerald Acoustics
    -Taylor

Is this accurate? Are there more makes & models? I'll keep updating this list.
    Last edited by esandes; 02-05-2024, 08:48 PM.

I think all Gibson USA are PLEK'd. I know my 2009 Les Paul Trad Pro was.

Comment

Suhrs are also plek'd.

Comment

Plek'd doesn't mean perfect.
        Otherwise, I wouldn't have clients bringing me plek'd guitars to fix.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Emerald Acoustics are Plek'd too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Plek'd doesn't mean perfect.
            Otherwise, I wouldn't have clients bringing me plek'd guitars to fix.
            If the guy operating the machine knows what he's doing, it should be pretty darned close to perfect afterwards.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If the guy operating the machine knows what he's doing, it should be pretty darned close to perfect afterwards.
              Sounds like a quality control issue for Gibson. Retraining is in order, perhaps? Or just more experience?

Comment

Sounds like a quality control issue for Gibson. Retraining is in order, perhaps? Or just more experience?
                It's supposed to take readings of all the frets under string tension, then adjust the truss rod to optimize those, then re-take readings of the frets based on that. Sometimes this needs to be repeated several times to stabilize everything. Then it does fret adjustment based on that good reference. Bad strings can cause problems with the initial readings, not allowing the guitar to sit for long enough after adjusting the rod can also cause problems, or failing to re-do readings can cause problems. All of which take time . . . so I could see how someone in a hurry might just try to jam everything through and hope for the best giving a ****ty end product.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure how Gibson does it, but it's certainly not the full-on Plek job.

I have a Les Paul Tribute. The frets are perfectly level, but the nut was certainly too high from the factory.

No biggie, though.

Comment

The frets are perfectly level, but the nut was certainly too high from the factory.
                    This is normal for almost any guitar maker. The final adjustments to the action are based on player preference, string choices, and so on. That's why most guitar repairmen do setups on new guitars.

Comment

what Gibson do you have that's lacking quality? mine is flawless. what is lacking in yours? did you buy it new or used?

Comment

I own no Gibson guitars currently. I have been doing guitar repair for a living for 45 plus years. I was an authorized Gibson service guy for a long time. Many of my clients own and play Gibsons.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Awe, there's the key!

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You know what, Goober is spot on with his comments about pleking and quality issues. (yeah, I know, I'm totally agreeing with Goober...the world is coming to an end!).

Just because a guitar is pleked doesn't necessarily mean it's any better than a guitar that hasn't been pleked. And a guitar that has had a fret job by a person who knows what they are doing is going to be better than anything coming from the factory.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

And a guitar that has had a fret job by a person who knows what they are doing is going to be better than anything coming from the factory.
                              PREACH!

Comment

Working...
                              X