This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

This is normal for almost any guitar maker. The final adjustments to the action are based on player preference, string choices, and so on. That's why most guitar repairmen do setups on new guitars.
    Well aware. But the "full-on" aftermarket "plek" treatment sees to it that the nut slots are at the correct height. I was just saying that it's not a "full-on" plek job.

They could very well do it for 10's, honestly. Most people who play Gibsons use 10's, no? And nut slots cut for 10's work fine for 9's in case someone likes lighter strings.

I used to complain about almost everyone's usage of light strings because I use 12's, but I just got some nut files, and I'm used to having to widen nut slots by now.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-06-2024, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      You know what, Goober is spot on with his comments about pleking and quality issues. (yeah, I know, I'm totally agreeing with Goober...the world is coming to an end!).

Just because a guitar is pleked doesn't necessarily mean it's any better than a guitar that hasn't been pleked. And a guitar that has had a fret job by a person who knows what they are doing is going to be better than anything coming from the factory.
      do you own plek'd and non-plek'd guitars? if you don't own any plek'd guitars how would you know?

Comment

I own no Gibson guitars currently. I have been doing guitar repair for a living for 45 plus years. I was an authorized Gibson service guy for a long time. Many of my clients own and play Gibsons.
        is it fair to say you're biased about quality since you don't see Gibsons that are perfectly fine?

Comment

To be completely honest, my Gibson plays great (or as great as a guitar with a fat neck and tiny frets can) and the frets are perfectly level. The action can be set nice and low (1mm on the 12th fret on the high E), and all the notes ring true, the bends don't fret out and whatnot.

But I've had guitars just receive plain (non-plek) setups, and have got results as good as with the Gibson.

Even my non-plek'd LTD's have all had great setups from the factory. Even my Fender neck came ready to play even if it wasn't plek'd.

So even if the plek setup is good, I don't think it's necessarily that much better than what a fret job performed by a competent person can achieve.

Comment

Plek machines don't learn from experience, or have intuition.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Plek machines don't learn from experience, or have intuition.
              Plek machines are operated by humans, though.

I honestly see both sides of the coin here. But in my experience, I'm going to side with you in saying that you don't need a plek job in order for a guitar to play amazing.

Comment

So, in the end, a skilled worker uses them to save a little time.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

since the thread got sidetracked by the discrediting or dismissal of PLEK's advantages...in my experience, with almost half of my guitars being plek'd at the factory, they all have things in common:

-no feet buzz anywhere
                  -no dead/stifled bent notes
                  -low action

i can't say this about a single one of my non-PLEK'd guitars without having the action high.

I see it as a value added service with no drawbacks. the arguement about the PLEK operator not doing it right is ridiculous. ok I get it, you repair lots. your war stories are anecdotes that do not represent the vast majority. yet you have a sheepish following here.

it would be appreciated if this got back to building a list of PLEK'd guitars. jackson? charvel? bilt? nash?
                  Last edited by esandes; 02-06-2024, 11:46 PM.

Comment

since the thread got sidetracked by the discrediting or dismissal of PLEK's advantages...in my experience, with almost half of my guitars being plek'd at the factory, they all have things in common:

-no feet buzz anywhere
                    -no dead/stifled bent notes
                    -low action

i can't say this about a single one of my non-PLEK'd guitars without having the action high.

I see it as a value added service with no drawbacks. the arguement about the PLEK operator not doing it right is ridiculous. ok I get it, you repair lots. your war stories are anecdotes that do not represent the vast majority. yet you have a sheepish following here.

it would be appreciated if this got back to building a list of PLEK'd guitars. jackson? charvel? bilt? nash?
                    Okay,,, NOW who's biased? (and a little jealous)

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      So, in the end, a skilled worker uses them to save a little time.
                      Yep, that's about it.

It's like doing construction with hand tools vs power tools. An idiot will drill a hole poorly with a hand cranked drill bit . . . or drill a hole poorly with a handheld battery operated drill. A skilled craftsman can drill a perfect hole with either, but the battery operated drill will increase his productivity massively.

An idiot operating a Plek machine isn't going to to a significantly better setup than an idiot without one. A skilled person doing a hand setup can make a perfect playing guitar . . . but the same dude operating a Plek machine should be able to create that perfect playing guitar in way less time.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Don't know other Gibson models but only the nut was plek'd on my 2014 Les Paul LPJ USA.

Comment

What do people charge for a PLEK these days? Are only manufacturers using them or are they making their way to busy luthiers? Aren't the machines pretty expensive?
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            What do people charge for a PLEK these days? Are only manufacturers using them or are they making their way to busy luthiers? Aren't the machines pretty expensive?
                            Sweetwater does it as an add on for $300
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                            Originally posted by Securb
                            The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

A local shop here has a PLEK machine now. Not sure what they charge.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post

Sweetwater does it as an add on for $300
                                That's expensive. Long & McQuade do it for $255CAD.

Comment

Working...
                                X