So I'm getting an SG... but which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

Well it's your call obviously but why would you want that? I mean, won't that make it sound like a banjo/be really tinny sounding?
    I'm down to two guitars right now. A Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. I'm struggling with the Strat because the bridge pickup is really far away from the bridge itself compared to the Les Paul. I recently swapped the pickguard to something where the bridge pickup is a bit closer than it used to be, and it helped A TON, but it's not the same. I'm contempt to where the tone of the Strat is with a Duncan Distortion, but in order to get a similar kind of bite and aggression, I did have to drop a 1 Meg pot. Yep. 1 Meg volume, no tone with a Duncan Distortion. Whereas with the Gibson, whatever I drop in there, I immediately like.

I also used to have an Epiphone Les Paul that was very similar to the Gibson, but Epis for some reason have the bridge pickup further away from the bridge itself than Gibsons. I've been *****ing and *****ing about that for ages now, LOL.

I like my bridge pickups bridge-y, personally. Keep in mind, I'm playing mostly downtuned Death Metal rhyhms. Smooth is the last thing I want.

Also, if I got an SG that didn't sound like an SG... well... what's the point of getting an SG, then?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-09-2024, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I agree, the point of an SG is a brighter Les Paul, what's the point of Epiphone putting the pickups in a spot that turns it into a slightly different looking LP?
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Have you physically measured the bridge pickup distance from the center of the bridge, or are you going by visible appearance? The Nashville style bridges are wider than the ABR-1 style, which reduces the gap between the pickup ring and the bridge on the Nashville. My Epiphone G400 has a thinner bridge than my Gibson LP Studio. The bridge pickup on the LP looks closer, but it measures about the same from the pole pieces to the line drawn through the centerline of the posts.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
          Have you physically measured the bridge pickup distance from the center of the bridge, or are you going by visible appearance? The Nashville style bridges are wider than the ABR-1 style, which reduces the gap between the pickup ring and the bridge on the Nashville. My Epiphone G400 has a thinner bridge than my Gibson LP Studio. The bridge pickup on the LP looks closer, but it measures about the same from the pole pieces to the line drawn through the centerline of the posts.
          I have not, but I posted a pic in this same thread of two Epi SG's with the same bridge where one looks clearly further away from the pickup than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I just saw the SG Custom... it doesn't have the bridge pickup as close to the bridge as the 1961. So that idea is scrapped too.

I don't get why they do that, TBH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_3948e5019317fdfb041a39f712101fd1.webp
Views:	182
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	6269545

Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_74a9c8e7e021638c25afb658cf666368.webp
Views:	176
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	6269546
            This.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
              Also, yes. Current Gibson USA Les Pauls have the bridge further away from the bridge pickup than Gibson USA SG's. So then, what you wrote confirms my observation that Epiphone SG's have the bridge further away from the bridge pickup than Gibson SG's if they have it on the same spot as a Gibson Les Paul.

Comment

Working...
              X