banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you could'nt care less about that the vast majority of guitar players luv...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    They all use theory. Some have it mastered up and down from the conservatory etc, some picked up a bit when they learned naturally.
    I'm talking about studying theory out of a book like a dork...
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

• My whole point is you don't need to only study it from a book if you play by ear. That will tell you just as effectively what goes w/ what and what does'nt..you don't need boxes and circles of fifths..

Harmony is harmony. You can HEAR it...

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-06-2024, 07:31 PM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        You cannot get into music college without taking a test or making an audition before.
        I took music theory at the local community college
        what are you going on about??
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

• They all know theory

Practice to the point where you aren't thinking about the theory
          Just the music

Like athletes do

Dang
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

• Knowing theory and getting it all out of a book are two different things. If you're able to follow a tune using your ears you're probably doing what's theoretically right. Does'nt mean its something you formally studied. You can just as effectively come about it using the practical route (ie. by practicing/playing your guitar) which is what a lot of "greats" have done in their own words..
            Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-06-2024, 07:47 PM.

Youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
              The truth is there's no time for thinking when you play very fast.
              This is pretty silly. When people are improving and "thinking" about theory, they are not thinking about every note or interval, especially on fast runs. They are thinking about scales and patterns at a more macro level. Going through an octave or two-octave run gives you plenty of time to THINK about where you are going next with an improvisation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                Knowing theory and getting it all out of a book are two different things. If you're able to follow a tune using your ears you're probably doing what's theoretically right. Does'nt mean its something you formally studied. You can just as effectively come about it using the practical route (ie. by practicing/playing your guitar) which is what a lot of "greats" have done in their own words..
                That's true. And also by listening and learning stuff from the record.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

• @Securb: Well here's the thing that Matteo Mancuso says in multiple interviews. He preffers "not to think, just play" He also mentions using only instinct (ie feel)..ie your mind is on the tune and you are NOT THINKING about the next improvisation cuz in the time it takes you to do that your flow gets buggered up...

Youtube

Comment

• Cuz he's practiced his theory so much that it's instinctive.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 03-06-2024, 08:03 PM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Cuz he's practiced his theory so much that it's innate.
                      Everyone uses muscle memory. You give someone who's never played guitar before a guitar and tell them to just follow tunes ..they can't However tell him to mess about/familiarise himself w/ it first for a couple of years w/o ever having opened a theory book or taken lessons and he will probably get by just fine.

Youtube

Comment

• Well if your only goal is to be mediocre, ok. If you want to be good, it requires knowledge and a minimum of theory, unless one is a savant.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Well if your only goal is to be mediocre, ok. If you want to be good, it requires knowledge and a minimum of theory,
                          Never said basic (very basic) theory is bad...

unless one is a savant.
                          Or has great instinct/feel/technique etc...all of which can be come across using the practical route..

Youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

I took music theory at the local community college
                            what are you going on about??
                            Me? I'm trying to more or less indrectly defend the notion that EVH new some music theory. Although Clint told me you don't need to know it to enter community college. I honestly don't even know what community college is. I didn't go to college in the US.

I think you might have quoted the wrong post?

I like music theory myself. I find it interesting although I don't know a lot.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-06-2024, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Well if your only goal is to be mediocre, ok. If you want to be good, it requires knowledge and a minimum of theory, unless one is a savant.
                              Also "good" is subjective. I happen to think Angus Young sounds "good" & Alan Holdsworth sounded "bad" ..it's called "personal taste".

Youtube

Comment

• ^ Angus Young probably knows more than zero theory.

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                                Never said basic (very basic) theory is bad... Or has great instinct/feel/technique etc...all of which can be come across using the practical route..
                                That's true. I understand your stance sir. The vast majority of musicians need a minimum of theory to sound good. There are some musicians around, pro or amateur, who sound good with little theory and who built their knowledge mostly practically. However, I have never come across a verifiable case of a musician who plays a melody/harmony instrument and sounds very good with zero theory. They probably exist, but are extremely rare.
                                Last edited by Clint 55; 03-06-2024, 08:34 PM.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X