Dunlop Strap Lock Quality fading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop Strap Lock Quality fading?

I have been using Dunlop for years. They are installed on so many of my guitars and straps that it is a bit too late to change brands. I have been noticing on the last couple of installs the screws are now very cheap soft metal. You have maybe one shot to get them in. If you have to back them out and go back in they are pretty much stripped. The rest of the products seem to be the same quality. Some bean-counter probably saved 5 cents a unit swapping to the cheaper screws. Next straplock install I will go to the hardware store to get some real-deal steel screws. I just feel like some of these companies are nickel and diming us to death.

The one thing they did do I love is you can now buy the strap pins without buying the whole system.

They've always been that way. One shot is right.
    The key is to get the correct phillips head the first time.
    I always change the ball bearing part at least once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      I always change the ball bearing part at least once a year.
      Intresting, I have some that must be 20 years old and not swapped out. I do have to oil the bearings here and there, but I have never had a set fail.

Comment

i keep a strap on each guitar so almost never take em off. never had an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Intresting, I have some that must be 20 years old and not swapped out. I do have to oil the bearings here and there, but I have never had a set fail.
          Its a precautionary measure i replace the ball bearing part as thats whats gonna fail.
          Putting oil on those isnt a great idea as the oil will act as a cutting agent. IE Machinist "cutting oil."
          You dont want to make that connection any more slippery than it is.

Comment

I have a couple sets and not had any problems.

Comment

One set I put on my Carvin bass failed in a unique way

My buddy had purchased it some time back

And left it on a stand in the Livingroom because, gorgeous,

At some point we're think an animal peed on it

The release pin wouldn't let the strp go

It took about a month of tinkering with it to remove the entire assembly

The two parts never separated
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'm usually live and let live when it comes to strap locks, but I'll never understand picking Dunlop over Schaller, especially with the new S Locks
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  I'm usually live and let live when it comes to strap locks, but I'll never understand picking Dunlop over Schaller, especially with the new S Locks
                  I have always found Dunlop easier to put on and take off when switching guitars especially live.

Comment

I agree with Chris, Schaller S locks are the best. I wouldn't trust anything else.
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Schaller all the way. I've got them on about 50 of my guitars. I've tried a couple sets of Dunlop and didn't like them at all...I mean I actually hated them. Personally, I thought they were MUCH more difficult to put on and take off than the Schaller locks.

If you're hooked to the Dunlop, I totally agree about getting better screws. But do yourself a favor and don't nickel and dime yourself...get stainless steel screws. They are way stronger, will last a lifetime of screwing in and out (ok you guys, get your minds out of the gutter), are nice and shiny, and won't corrode.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        I have been using Dunlop for years. They are installed on so many of my guitars and straps that it is a bit too late to change brands. I have been noticing on the last couple of installs the screws are now very cheap soft metal. You have maybe one shot to get them in. If you have to back them out and go back in they are pretty much stripped. The rest of the products seem to be the same quality. Some bean-counter probably saved 5 cents a unit swapping to the cheaper screws. Next straplock install I will go to the hardware store to get some real-deal steel screws. I just feel like some of these companies are nickel and diming us to death.

The one thing they did do I love is you can now buy the strap pins without buying the whole system.
                        A friend of mine got a Gibson Flying V and the paint job was horrible.
                        Schaller's version of the Floyd Rose has declined, sent it back and got a Gotoh trem.
                        ​​​​​​​I noticed that Dunlops strap locks have gone down hill. The feel like aluminum with zinc .

Comment

Schaller/Dunlop is the same as the Coke/Pepsi, Chevy/Ford, and Gibson/Fender debates; both are great products. It just comes down to preference and familiarity.

Comment

Dunlop will on occasion let go if not connected properly
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              Dunlop will on occasion let go if not connected properly
                              Is that when the ball bearings freeze?

Comment

Working...
                              X