NGD - Charvel DK24 in Satin Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Charvel DK24 in Satin Black

This beauty came yesterday. Full Shred and Alnico II Pro pickups. Pretty well-setup and playable out of the box. Strings don't even feel too old.

I was concerned about the amount of treble in the FS, but so far, I'm pleased with the sound. Will probably need to tweak my metal settings to get a bit more of the chug I need, but otherwise, it's fine -- articulate as advertised, crisp without being shrill in the upper end. Lead playing is addictive. The Alnico II Pro sounds remarkably nice on the clean channel (cue ominous acoustic intros to thrash burners!).

The satin neck is 100% my cup of tea. Love how it feels, and how it looks too -- the maple neck against that dark ebony fingerboard.

First guitar I've owned with the combination of a Fender scale and 24 frets, so my fingers are still getting used to things being a touch off from where they are on my other guitars. But that's not really a criticism.

Pretty stoked to own this!

Needs a Floyd

J/k..to each their own. Looks like a killer axe. Congrats & have fun

I love my Charvel ..it's probably one of my fastest playing axes along with my Saber's & my Jackson Dk2.

Personally I have'nt really cared for the Full shred in every axe I've tried w/ it. I prefer warmer & rounder tones..

If you think a Fender scale w/ 24 frets feels odd...you should try a Gibson scale w/ 24 frets (my BC Rich Ironbird Pro)

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      Needs a Floyd

J/k..to each their own. Looks like a killer axe. Congrats & have fun

I love my Charvel ..it's probably one of my fastest playing axes along with my Saber's & my Jackson Dk2.

Personally I have'nt really cared for the Full shred in every axe I've tried w/ it. I prefer warmer & rounder tones..

If you think a Fender scale w/ 24 frets feels odd...you should try a Gibson scale w/ 24 frets (my BC Rich Ironbird Pro)

Haha, I am NOT a Floyd Rose fan at all. Much prefer hardtail bridges.

Oh, I know all about 24-fret Gibsons. Got two other guitars with that fret/scale. Then a 22/Fender. Now this 24/Fender Charvel. It is truly amazing how just that little bit of a change makes a difference at first. Muscle memory needs a refresher.

Comment

Interesting choice in pickups, did it come that way from the factory? I'm with you on Floyd Roses, 95% of the time I do a whammy bar noise, there was something better I could have done instead. Not really the best tradeoff when you consider you need a set of hand tools to do any adjustment beyond a slight retune.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          Interesting choice in pickups, did it come that way from the factory? I'm with you on Floyd Roses, 95% of the time I do a whammy bar noise, there was something better I could have done instead. Not really the best tradeoff when you consider you need a set of hand tools to do any adjustment beyond a slight retune.
          Yep, those are the factory pickups. If I'd had my choice, I would likely have preferred a more standard combo (JB/59, etc.), but so far I am digging these pickups.

I agree with you on whammy bar usage. It's just not my thing. I guess if I were trying to replicate Slayer leads, I'd need one, but I have no interest in that, though I do enjoy playing a lot of Slayer rhythm.

Comment

I love Charvel's satin finishes. More companies should do them. Congrats on one mean guitar!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
              This beauty came yesterday. Full Shred and Alnico II Pro pickups. Pretty well-setup and playable out of the box. Strings don't even feel too old.

I was concerned about the amount of treble in the FS, but so far, I'm pleased with the sound. Will probably need to tweak my metal settings to get a bit more of the chug I need, but otherwise, it's fine -- articulate as advertised, crisp without being shrill in the upper end. Lead playing is addictive. The Alnico II Pro sounds remarkably nice on the clean channel (cue ominous acoustic intros to thrash burners!).

The satin neck is 100% my cup of tea. Love how it feels, and how it looks too -- the maple neck against that dark ebony fingerboard.

First guitar I've owned with the combination of a Fender scale and 24 frets, so my fingers are still getting used to things being a touch off from where they are on my other guitars. But that's not really a criticism.

Pretty stoked to own this!
              They didn't include the Series/Parallel switch!! That is one of the best features on my DK24. Still a great guitar but that is such a cool feature...

Comment

That is beautiful. I love everything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

They didn't include the Series/Parallel switch!! That is one of the best features on my DK24. Still a great guitar but that is such a cool feature...
                  Ah yes, no switch, but this is going to be less of a versatile guitar than others in my inventory, so I don't think I'll miss it much. Will be used mostly for metal and hard rock. Maybe a bit of blues.

Comment

The thing just screams ROCK ME HARD!!!!

Awesome.

BTW - what you RELLY want, weepingminotaur, is a Charvel Fusion. Carvel awesome, but Gibson scale.

That one is stunningly cheap...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      The thing just screams ROCK ME HARD!!!!

Awesome.

BTW - what you RELLY want, weepingminotaur, is a Charvel Fusion. Carvel awesome, but Gibson scale.

That one is stunningly cheap...
                      That really is absurdly cheap, wow! Good-looking axe. But the Fender scale is a feature not a bug on mine. I specifically went for a 24-fret Fender for the extra room up high on solos that need the full two octaves.

Comment

Each day I get closer and closer to buy a new Charvel.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I played a DK24 when I was beta testing the Hyperswitch, and would own a Charvel in a heartbeat. 22 frets, though.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I played a DK24 when I was beta testing the Hyperswitch, and would own a Charvel in a heartbeat. 22 frets, though.
                            I remember you saying that you're strictly a 22-fret guy. Totally fair. I don't have a particular preference, except when a solo demands those extra two frets.

Comment

Losing some of the bassiness to the neck pickup is a helluva price to pay for two extra notes.

That's a pretty cool instrument though, there is a used one selling near me with a double cream pair of Bluesbucker neck and Super D bridge that I've been debating adoption.

Comment

Working...
                              X