Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preamp/poweramp vs. head

Originally posted by dystrust
    The reason you crank one and scoop the other is because the rotary EQ is pre-gain and the graphic is post-gain. By cranking the rotary you get more gain and a thicker sound. You then scoop out the mids you don't need with the graphic to prevent the sound from getting muddy.
    I have to do that on my Mark IV. I keep the mids high on the dial to tighten the bass, but scoop them on the graphic eq (or rather boost the lows and the highs) to get a decent sound.

Comment

Ah-ha!

Learn something new everyday. Then again I've spent a grand total of zero time with Mesa equipment.

Comment

Sounds like the pre/poweramp is the way to go.

Any suggestions for a pre around $500. I was thinking a voodoo modded ADA MP-1 or Marshall JMP-1.
        Last edited by AcidBurn; 06-02-2004, 06:54 PM.
        MIM Fender Strat-stock
        Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
        Dean V X- 85/81
        Crybaby From Hell
        Ibanez DE7
        ADA MP-1
        Furman EQ
        Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

In that price range I would recommend the ADA MP-1 if you need midi and lots of presets or a Soldano SP-77 if you only need a few basic sounds.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

right now im in the process of going back to stomp boxes and a combo amp, the rack just had to much versatilty for me. I was always tweaking my sound more than i was playing. Anyways, heres what i have for sale now : digitech 2101 fully loaded tube preamp/effects processor, digitech control one floorboard (not a midi pedal, only works with the 2101 and some other digitech products) rocktron voodu valve, and carvin t-100 tube steroe 50watts per side or mono 100 watts poweramp. i also have a digitech rp20 thats will be going. oh, and a rocktron 1x12 velocity cab, and a peavey 4x12ms cab (pickup only)

Comment

Originally posted by AcidBurn
              Sounds like the pre/poweramp is the way to go.

Any suggestions for a pre around $500. I was thinking a voodoo modded ADA MP-1 or Marshall JMP-1.
              Randall RM4! At least look into it.
              Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
              VHT 2502
              (2) Randal XLT 4X12
              (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
              Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
              Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
              http://www.robertkeeley.com
              Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
              Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

one thing ive heard from many sources is the diff in tone generated from preamp-->poweramp
                as compared to just a head
                the difference is the head shares a COMMON transformer. its noted that sharing it provides more interaction between the pre and power amp of a head -->giving a more natural and better tone
                thats why apparenlty rack setups sound a bit more sterile
                does somebody kno wat im tallking about here? ive heard it from many ppl , but i dont kno the tech talk behind it
                currently, i run a mesa boogie mark3 HEAD and a tc electronic Gmajor rack unit - ive been wanting to convert my head (which is a short head) into my rack case for easier setting up therefore creating a plug and play situation live

but, racks do allow sooo much flexibility, its up to u to figure out whether that flexibility outweighs the slightly more sterile tone overal
                Guitars:
                Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
                Amps:
                Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

Originally posted by Burkwieser
                  Randall RM4! At least look into it.
                  I wouldn't mind getting one of those but there not in my price range ...unless you wanna lower your price

parabola: how much for the 2101 and what version is it
                  Last edited by AcidBurn; 06-03-2004, 07:16 PM.
                  MIM Fender Strat-stock
                  Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
                  Dean V X- 85/81
                  Crybaby From Hell
                  Ibanez DE7
                  ADA MP-1
                  Furman EQ
                  Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

acidburn,
                    the 2101 is version 3.00a, it has both pc210 cards so you have the option of 2 s disks or seamless patch changing, its also been upgraded with processing speed (2x faster). Im asking $400 for it and the floorboard ... im the orignal owner, ive taken great care of it, and ive invested over a grand in this thing...plus i just got two new jj's from eurotubes 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X