Engl 520 Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl 520 Preamp

I found this online and I thought it looked pretty cool. Any opinions and/or info on this preamp?

Thanks!

Re: Engl 520 Preamp

ENGL is top notch, there are some clips of them and other ENGL stuff here:

My Soundclick page.

Comment

Re: Engl 520 Preamp

I use the floor switch version of the 520, called the Tube Toner, which is now disco'd ... The 520 is GREAT!! I can post some raw (ie unmixed) clips from my upcoming album if you like, so you can hear it. There are 2 channels to the preamp, each with 2 gain stages.

The 1st is totally 'clean', but a high output humbucker will still distort a bit. The 2nd is a mild crunch; PERFECT if you wanna do a Jimmy Page style thing. I can't help but rip into Heartbreaker every time I play on this channel! The 3rd is a mild 80's type distortion, and the 4th is pure mayhem distortion.

2x12AX7's, lots of EQ and volume options. TONS of Gain! I play old school NWOBHM style, and I only set the gain to 4 on the 'Hard Lead' channel (ch4). The only downside to the 520 is that you need a midi controller to switch channels, which is why I went with the footswitch version ...

I'm using a Marshall EL34 100/100, but I've heard that it also sounds amazing with a Mesa power amp. I'm sure the Engl amp sounds great too.

One of the best features of the preamp is that it has a 1W SS power amp on it, making it a VERY high end practice amp. I plug it staight into a 1x12 cabinet, turn the gain all the way up, and it's PERFECT for quiet practice (tho it can still get fairly loud).

For my purposes, I give it a total 10 out of 10. I've played about a dozen gigs with the Engl and have only changed the tubes once. If the price is good, BUY IT!!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
      X