Klon centaur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klon centaur?

Guys, anyone have any thoughts on the Klon Centaur? Experiences? Recently read an article on John Mayer and he said he uses it as his main overdrive. I dig his tones but just wanted to get everyone elses thoughts.

As reference, I've used a Ibanez Tubey, currently have a G2D Creamtone and Crowther Hotcake, thinking of picking up a Tim Overdrive and an MJM Phantom.
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Klon centaur?

I am in the minority here but I think that the Klon is over hyped to say the least.

Before I start getting flammed all to hell and back...Yes I have tried one, with more than one amp and guitar set up and at various volumes both as an OD and as a boost and I was still unimpressed.

That said it does make a pretty cool boost for a lot of players but I have found that to get the best out of a Klon you have to really be pushing some volume.

That said, even at volume there are a LOT of things out there that I personally like better.

Also, know this...Klon's are currently out of production and are already running $600-$800+ on the second hand market...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Is the Klon amazing?

Yes!

Is it worth $600-1,500?

Depends on the person in question and how they value the item. It's subjective, to say the least.

I've spent MANY hrs playing my friend's original gold Klon and, to my ears and for my style, it has the goods .... but not enough goods to be part of my regular rig.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

i have a few friends that swear by them. they all play 20-50w tube amps and turn the amp up enough so its juicy all on its own. they play great gear, most of which is expensive and get great tone without the klon.

it sounds great when they use it. ive borrowed one and used it on a few gigs and it was nice but not $800 nice when i can use timmy which cost me $150. if some one gave me one, i would sell it. if you use it right it sounds great and does feel great too but i think there are other things that work better for me.

Comment

FWIW I think the Klon will be going back into production soon, or that's what I've been reading over at TGP.

From what I understand, the documentation that comes with the Klon explains that you really need to be pushing your amp to the point of getting some natural breakup anyways.
          After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
            FWIW I think the Klon will be going back into production soon, or that's what I've been reading over at TGP.

From what I understand, the documentation that comes with the Klon explains that you really need to be pushing your amp to the point of getting some natural breakup anyways.
            All true...

As for "soon"...thats all relative...I have a feeling it's gonna be a while...
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

This is a great watch if you're interested in the Klon Centaur.

There is no obvious product pitch, it really is a remarkably objective comparison, that paints a picture of a few good Klon style overdrives.

Last edited by ImmortalSix; 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM.
              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

No question it is one of the best. When I bought mine I read reviews comparing it to Maxon od820. I bought an od820 too. After 2 mo I kept the od820 and sold the Klon. I sold it for $499 and it did not take even 1 hour to sell. I still have a od820. It is individual preference. Neither pedal is better than the other. I like the Maxon more.

Comment

I wouldn't get rid of mine, just because it sounds and feels the way I want an OD pedal to be. Don't forget WHY everyone uses it as the benchmark for their comparisons.
                  In the shootout above; although it's a pretty fair comparison, doesn't give you every variable, which you'd only figure out after owning all of them for a year or so.
                  Also know, I bought mine used in the late 90's for $240.....not $600+.

That said, I'll admit that Visual Sound has made some very good products at a fairly cheap price. The Rt - 808 seems pretty solid for $110, and even more impressive is the Double Trouble pedal, which the demo guy holds up at 7:20. Basically, 2 Rt-808's in one box.

I'm no Klon snob, worried about it being #1, but I think it's in the top 3 of the best overdrive pedals ever made. It wouldn't be one of the most talked about OD pedals by every other manufacturer if it weren't.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

What the hell is in a Klon that makes it so expensive????
                    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
                      What the hell is in a Klon that makes it so expensive????
                      Nothing special really...I mean the PCB's are covered in goop so you can;t really see them but there is nothing there thaty really, IMHO justify's the price tag but remember...new (when you could get them new) they were only around $350 (actually a little less) but the second hand prices went up first when the wait time went up...the wait at one time was over a year and the price went up to over a grand.

Prices went up again when Bill switched form the gold to the silver enclosure...there is NO difference between the 2, and thats from Bills own mouth but people were just sure that the older ones sounded "better" so the second hand prices went up...

Now, they are discontinued, awaiting a redesign so the prices have gone up again.

When Bill was pretty mcuh caught up second hand prices were right around new prices and wait times at that time were less than 30 days.

Another factor has to do with hype and nothing more...there was actually a rumor a few years ago that Bill had stopped making them and was never going to build them again and prices skyrocketed. Bill has a crappy website, no email address contact and no dealers so when rumors like that pop up it takes a while for the truth to filter in and as it does prices go back to "normal"...

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        I wouldn't get rid of mine, just because it sounds and feels the way I want an OD pedal to be. Don't forget WHY everyone uses it as the benchmark for their comparisons.
                        In the shootout above; although it's a pretty fair comparison, doesn't give you every variable, which you'd only figure out after owning all of them for a year or so.
                        Also know, I bought mine used in the late 90's for $240.....not $600+.

That said, I'll admit that Visual Sound has made some very good products at a fairly cheap price. The Rt - 808 seems pretty solid for $110, and even more impressive is the Double Trouble pedal, which the demo guy holds up at 7:20. Basically, 2 Rt-808's in one box.

I'm no Klon snob, worried about it being #1, but I think it's in the top 3 of the best overdrive pedals ever made. It wouldn't be one of the most talked about OD pedals by every other manufacturer if it weren't.
                        I'm curious Joe...whats your other 2 choices for the top 3???

While Im at it you mentioned feel...thats a BIG thing!

While not my thing I for sure see the reasons people that like it do like it...

In my situation the King of Tone is a MUCH better fit for a Boost/OD and a good Rangemaster goes a LONG way in terms of boosts...

We're all different

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                          I'm curious Joe...whats your other 2 choices for the top 3???

While Im at it you mentioned feel...thats a BIG thing!

While not my thing I for sure see the reasons people that like it do like it...

In my situation the King of Tone is a MUCH better fit for a Boost/OD and a good Rangemaster goes a LONG way in terms of boosts...

We're all different
                          As we all know, OD pedals all mate differently with different gear, playing styles, and desired tone. I can only mention the ones I think are top notch all around.

Klon Centaur
                          King of Tone
                          Tim/Timmy
                          Zendrive
                          discontinued Menatone Fish Factory
                          Fulltone FDII. I think I liked the original orange one the best.
                          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-07-2015, 11:16 PM.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The Klon is one of those pieces of gear that has a certain hype and mystery about it. One of those pieces of gear that is sort of rare and hard to find locally, like a real Dumble amp or an original 59 Les Paul. It is very hard to convey what the Klon is as a whole without you actually hearing it and playing it in person. Not to say that the hype is totally unfounded, as it has been said before, there is a reason any other overdrive gets compared to it. On the other hand, it is not the end-all be-all OD pedal for everyone. Some people swear by it, other people could care less.
                            Beer me!
                            Originally posted by Kam
                            ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

I really dig the Klon. I've owned one for a couple years now. With a Klon, Analog Man King of Tone, and Ibanez TS-808, I feel I have all my overdrive needs covered. Still, I find I use treble boosts more than overdrives.

- Keith
                              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                              X