Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Klon centaur?

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    As we all know, OD pedals all mate differently with different gear, playing styles, and desired tone. I can only mention the ones I think are top notch all around.

Klon Centaur
    King of Tone
    Tim
    Zendrive
    discontinued Menatone Fish Factory
    Fulltone FDII. I think I liked the original orange one the best.
    Great list. That's pretty much the Who's Who of 'pedals to own'.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      I am in the minority here but I think that the Klon is over hyped to say the least.

Before I start getting flammed all to hell and back...Yes I have tried one, with more than one amp and guitar set up and at various volumes both as an OD and as a boost and I was still unimpressed.

That said it does make a pretty cool boost for a lot of players but I have found that to get the best out of a Klon you have to really be pushing some volume.

That said, even at volume there are a LOT of things out there that I personally like better.

Also, know this...Klon's are currently out of production and are already running $600-$800+ on the second hand market...

Then i am with you in that minority group

Disclaimer : i am NOT a BM fan either - not my a long shot.

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I'm just waiting for my Raptor from forum member ratherdashing.

I have a TS9 and then a raptor, as well as an OD-1 as part of my ME-70. I cannot imagine that I'd need anything else.
        Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
        I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
          I'm just waiting for my Raptor from forum member ratherdashing.

I have a TS9 and then a raptor, as well as an OD-1 as part of my ME-70. I cannot imagine that I'd need anything else.
          You always need something else!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Let me be real clear on this...

The Klon is a great unit and does what it does better than most other pedals out there, however what it does I cover with other pedals and IMO the pedals I use do what I want the Klon for better...if that makes sense.

It's all about finding gear that works for you as a player.

If I want a gritty boost or an od I have the King of Tone, an AnalogMan TS-9/808 the boost side of a Box of Rock and a Beano boost...thats all I need and more and like Keith, the treble booster for me is a much better choice, so I trend to use it most often.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

A friend of mine has one and raves about it. I tried it and was not overly impressed. Way overpriced - there are better pedals available for a lot less money.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
                Guys, anyone have any thoughts on the Klon Centaur? Experiences? Recently read an article on John Mayer and he said he uses it as his main overdrive. I dig his tones but just wanted to get everyone elses thoughts.

As reference, I've used a Ibanez Tubey, currently have a G2D Creamtone and Crowther Hotcake, thinking of picking up a Tim Overdrive and an MJM Phantom.
                I have a klon centaur which is a great clean/overdrive pedal. If you don't have $1000 to buy one on ebay no big deal. I also own a wampler ecstasy overdrive (now known as euphoria). In the smooth position i find it very similar to the klon centaur. The klon isn't as mid rangey as the TS808 either is the wampler ecstasy pedal. They run $199 great pedal. I think it's better than the timmy and phantom. Also remember john uses the keeley katana infront of his overdrives. If you like his live sound I'd go with a boost like the katana the wampler euphoria/ecstasy and a ts808. Don't worry about the true bypass if you don't have the true bypass ts808 ts9 or ts10 it's how you play. As a gear nut I have an original ts808 keeley modded one ts9 and a ts10, as long as you got a good signal chain and cables its very hard to know hear the difference. So get a boost run it before your overdrives and your set. Check out the wampler euphoria its very transparent and versatile.

Remember Johns live sound and studio are completely different he's a tone nut and combines a lot of stuff in the studio. Good luck man. Hope this helps.

Comment

In the 5 years since this thread, Bill has reissued the Klon and just about everyone has reversed it, from boutique (Mythical OD), to budget (Soul Food) to semi official (Rocket Archer) to BYOC (Silver Pony) and many others.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

One thing that hasn't changed since the original klon was issued, or in the five years since this thread got started then brought back from the grave is this:
                    Whatever mythical/semi mythical/standard boost or overdrive you use, it can only sound as good as whatever amp you are running it through.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I put germanium diodes into my EH Soul Food, $80 all in? It's not a Klon but it's pretty dang close! I owned a Klon for about a year and I did spend a redonkulious amount of money for it on Reverb, it was a freakishly good O.D. pedal! It was not $900+ good though & for the most part I only was using it as a clean boost so I ended up trading it out right for a AC-30 TB to someone who thought it was worth the money? It's a subjective opinion & I'm not saying my Soul Food sounds as good or even the same but it's close, suits me just fine for what I need it to do & a AC-30 loaded with blues is worth $900+ to me??? The Klon is a $200 pedal that became iconic & I expected something magical to come out of it but it's still just a O.D. Box, but now it's a $1200 pedal? That's just how things work in guitar world, a Nocaster or a 59 L.P. doesn't sound or play any better than a new Custom Shop Tele or even a 1990 L.P. Custom but it's a little piece of history so we'll spend tens of thousands of dollars on one if we have it to spend? When Clapton auctioned off Blacky it was nearly unplayable but it still fetched $959,500.00 @ auction because a lot of people think of it as history not a guitar? To some extent the same thing has happened to the Klon, especially the original sliver ones? The guy who has my old one is more of a collector than a guitarist, he's got some amazing vintage gear in his shop! Vintage Fenders & Gibson's, & the amps he has would put any of us on the floor! They're all for sale but they are priced so high that they really aren't for sale if you get me? He has a 61, i think, TV yellow double cut L.P. jr sitting behind glass but it's got a $28,000 price tag on it! Now you & I both know its not worth half of that but that's what it's worth to him & if you want it that's what you are going to spend? Even with the price tags that he has on them he's sold a few over the years, for some reason rich people like to spend a ton of money on things they don't really need too! Why, because a $28,000 61 L.P. jr is going to sound way better than a $9,800 one???
                      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

It is one of the more idiotic things in the world of gear....
                        Unbeliveable hype....

Comment

The funny thing is that I haven't heard one demo of a Klon or Klone where I thought the tone was actually good. LOL

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                          Nope...

Comment

my buddy still has his and it still sounds good but im still happier with my timmy

Comment

Mine is still for sale. Only $2500. Original gold horsey w/box, manual, power cable.

Now it's worth too much to step on it. Time to start stepping on a vintage muscle car's gas pedal instead.
                              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-04-2015, 02:21 PM.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                                Mine is still for sale. Only $2500. Original gold horsey w/box, manual, power cable.
                                Will you take my right arm? I figure I can at least tap on the fretboard and have a Klon.

The Rockett Archer I've heard is a great copy of the Klon. I'd be interested in trying it.
                                Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                                Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                                Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                                Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                                Line 6 Helix
                                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                                X