Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So... Tube Screamers.

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Most TS clones sound like a TS but not just like a TS...you need to decide how close you want to get.

The best TS I've ever used is my old AnalogMan TS-9/808...it's as good or better than a vintage 808 IMO but at a fraction of the price!
    That's very true...how vintage/exact do you want it to sound? My favorite TS types are the MI Blues Pro & Way Huge Green Rhino. I did have an HBE Power Screamer a long time ago, and I remember it being very nice as well.

I have a love/hate relationships with TS variants. I'll get one and then decide i can't find a sound that goes well with my rig. Then, a few months later, i think that i need something with a bit of a mid hump in it...it's an endless cycle...lol!

I'm actually thinking i need a Rook as I type this...haha!
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I agree with the guy who invented fire. Best TS pedal i have used was the analogman TS9 modded to 808 specs. Not a cheap pedal though. Even if you have the TS9 already the upgrade isnt super cheap. That said, behind that pedal i honestly like the stock TS9. Ive played with a bunch of TS clones and while most of them are good, im honestly not a big tweaker when it comes to pedal settings, so for me usually less is better. Ive found i can get a bunch of sounds from a stock TS9 from clean boost to higher OD that i am totally happy with.
      Originally posted by Empty Pockets
      yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

The only overdrives I've used were cheapies (Bad Monkey, Hardwire CM, Dano CTO v1, Joyo Ultimate Drive). I've been thinking about splurging on a used maxon od808 for boosting my Peavey xxx's gain channels but I'm not quite sure (money is tiiiight). I've noticed that a lot of the positive reviews for the 808-style OD's for metal purposes come from people that use them for recording, whereas I'm just dicking around at home. Should I stick with what I have?

Oh, and I love my 2 Digitechs, I don't think the Danelectro is working right anymore and the Joyo is the only cheap overdrive in my collection that sounds cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by p4vl View Post
          The only overdrives I've used were cheapies (Bad Monkey, Hardwire CM, Dano CTO v1, Joyo Ultimate Drive). I've been thinking about splurging on a used maxon od808 for boosting my Peavey xxx's gain channels but I'm not quite sure (money is tiiiight). I've noticed that a lot of the positive reviews for the 808-style OD's for metal purposes come from people that use them for recording, whereas I'm just dicking around at home. Should I stick with what I have?

Oh, and I love my 2 Digitechs, I don't think the Danelectro is working right anymore and the Joyo is the only cheap overdrive in my collection that sounds cheap.
          A TS type pedal is made for cutting through in a mix/live band setting. You may find them "harsh" at home playing by yourself...imho?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            A TS type pedal is made for cutting through in a mix/live band setting. You may find them "harsh" at home playing by yourself...imho?
            I wouldnt go as far as to single out TS style pedals in that sense. Yes they have the mid hump which is huge in cutting through but i find that most ODs/dist/etc dialed in for live playing in a band setting dont sound as pleasing to the ear playing at home.
            Originally posted by Empty Pockets
            yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

TS and clones come in a range of prices. You get what you pay for in terms of additional features, Eq'ing, mods, true-bypass, etc.

For the basic TS, I prefer the Maxon OD-808, because of its warm and smooth tone, and is hiss/noise-free when cascaded with another gain pedal. The Visual Sound Route 808 runs a close second to this in preference, for the same reasons. The latter has a noise gate and a bass boost.

The BYOC OD-2 is a bang for the buck option as it has a separate clean boost, aside from the tone mods.

Lately I've been loving the versatility of the MI Effects Super Blues Pro. Aside from the vintage TS tone, you can tweak for flat-mids, less compression, light fuzz, and my favorite - a mosfet setting which gives some Zendrive-like tones.

Good luck with your choice.
              Last edited by vegetablejoe; 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
                I wouldnt go as far as to single out TS style pedals in that sense. Yes they have the mid hump which is huge in cutting through but i find that most ODs/dist/etc dialed in for live playing in a band setting dont sound as pleasing to the ear playing at home.
                very true...

I have a Keisman Thunderbird on the way...one side is modded BD and one is a modded TS with a bass boost. My "love/hate" continues...lol!

Comment

How about upgrading to the Line 6 M9 or M13?

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                    How about upgrading to the Line 6 M9 or M13?
                    The OD sounds in those units are not near the quality you can get in nearly any TS standalone unit that i've ever tried.

At least that's been my personal experience...

Comment

Sure, but the OP has a sound he likes in his M5.

I have the M13. I like some of the ODs and distortions, but not others.

Comment

Exactly how do you want to use an overdrive?
                        I.E. are you going to use it through a clean channel as your dirty sound or are you going to put it in front of an already dirty amp for a way ballzier sound?

The Maxon OD820 is amazing if you want your amps tone....but more.

Lovepedal makes completely twisted sick overdrives. The Kalamazoo is a great transparent OD that will give you your tone....but more. Either the White or Black Kanji pedals are great through a clean channel or in front of a rock amp like a Marshall but get a little whacky sounding in front of a high gain amp.

If you can find one, The Jersey Girl Fulltender or Plusdriver are completely sick in front of everything.

Good luck with your search.
                        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Another vote for the TS-7.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcronin View Post
                            Best TS I have used is a TS9 modded by Analogman to 808 specs. Sounds like I think a TS should sound. The TS9 was way too harsh for me before he worked it.
                            ^This

I have the silver mod TS-9. Keeps chime and cut without tanking your low end and harshing your mello.

sigpic

Comment

Quick vote for the Way Huge Green Rhino. It's not outrageously priced and it has enough eq options to make it as transparent as you want, but can be a significant tone modifier if need be. I use it pretty much for straight-ahead boost, and it works wonderfully. The distortion side of the pedal is a little too gritty for me.

"Seven times down, eight times up."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubescreamers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	5782010

Comment

Working...
                                X