Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeadandBuried
    replied
    Re: Anyone else have to use TWO noisegates?

Yeah its important for break downs and stuff that after the chugged note its a clean silence.

The NS-2 dampens clean channels as well I've read, and I don't want that, not that I use LOADS of cleans but I switch regularly via the footswitch to a crunchy sound for dynamics.

I could just get another ISP then? Not the G-string version though but the normal one for the front end of the amp? This shouldn't affect my tone too much?

And will it affect channel changes?

Leave a comment:

• everdrone
    replied

decimator gstring2 was built for two noisegate pedals, check out their instruction manual. as said, periphery does this with 2 noisegates; I bet using the TS digital pedal in axefx would reduce noise even more

other sources of noise include the guitar / pickup wiring, and the electricity not being processed by furman and ???

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

lotsa people use two noise gates exactly like you're doing, one in front to tame the noise from pedals, and another in the loop to tame noise from the preamp.

If you don't like the NS-2's slight dampening of the signal, get another ISP. There are several ways to use the NS-2 though, and I found that the most effective is like so:

guitar -> input
    send -> pedals
    pedals -> return
    output -> amp

it does introduce a slight dampening effect on the highs but I don't mind too much.

Leave a comment:

• DeadandBuried
    started a topic Anyone else have to use TWO noisegates?

Anyone else have to use TWO noisegates?

I have the Peavey 6505+ head, which I love, the lead channel is insane and perfect for the style we play, think ADTR, Chunk No Captain Chunk, Devil Wears Prada, Bring Me The Horizon, etc etc you get the idea.

However its REALLY noisy on the lead channel, I have the ISP Decimator G string which is in the FX loop to stop this, dial the knob in at about 11 o'clock and it seems to do the trick.

Another problem is I run an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 in front of the amp to give it a bit more of a kick, which is the reputable tried and tested setup for these modern metalcore type bands. The TS9 is noisy as well and causes unwanted squealing when doing the chuggy stop starty riffs.

The drive is on zero and the level is about 12 noon, turn it up any higher and it'll start making noise.

So I inserted a Boss NS-2 after the TS9 and in front of the amp. Seems to cut it out but I think it sucks tone. Never thought I'd have to use TWO noise gates in my setup! Before I owned a Marshall JCM2000 and didn't need to use anything.

I did read Misha Mansoor uses THREE noisegates in his setup, which is pretty crazy!

I've seen rig rundowns of The Devil Wears Prada and Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine, both use NS-2's and ISP's in both the FX loop and in front of the amp.

So would this set up of 2 noisegates seem to solve the issue? And I will suffer tone loss inevitably.

Shall I keep the NS-2 before the amp or get another ISP (the first one) and run that between the TS9 and amp?
    Last edited by DeadandBuried; 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM.
Working...
X