Questions about preamps and their pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about preamps and their pots

Get the guaranteed best price on Onboard Preamps & EQ like the Fender Pre-Amp Mid Boost Kit 25 DB at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

The EMG AB (Afterburner) is a boost you can use instead of your tone or volume knob (does not function as a tone or volume) and activate with our variable gain push/pull pot. When the Push-Pull pot is in the “down” position there is no boost and the control has no effect. In the “up” position, rotating the pot can boost the input by up to 20dB at full rotation. The AB has up to 20dB of available gain and is perfect for increasing the signal of your clean tone or pushing a tube amp into overdrive. This is a great option for players looking to maximize their output for leads. This boost works with both active and passive pickups. The AB does not function as a tone or volume, it is a boost control only. All EMG parts are built to order. Estimated shipping is between 3-5 business days.

I've recently been looking into different types of preamps and active tone controls and have a couple questions.

1. For those that have experience with any of these models please share.
    2. I've read that with a active gain boost or mid boost installed you have to switch out your 250k/500k vol pot for a 50k vol pot. Is it possible to use a regular 250k/500k pot instead?
    3. If you install a on/off active/bypass switch, once you turn the active controls off how will that 50k vol pot effect the signal?Will it act just like a regular 250k/500k pot?

I've looked around the net and found schematics to modify the Fender mid boost circuit board to make it be able to turn on and off completely with a switch or push pot.

My idea for this would be to install the EMG Afterburner as a clean boost, the Fender mid boost, and just use the active bass and treble add/cut from the GFS pre amp. The passive components installed would be a Bill Lawrence Q-filter and MAYBE a modified fender TBX to be a true treble and bass cut pot for when the active signal is off. I already know all the wiring would be a PITA.

All of this is for a Custom build in the far future from now but just looking at different things.
    Last edited by Rockstar216; 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: Questions about preamps and their pots

Bump
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Working...
    X