Question about Ibanez TS9 and 6505+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Ibanez TS9 and 6505+

I guess I'm missing something 'cause there were mentions of using less gain from the amp and using the OD to push it more. I can see how that would work. However, a few of you mention leaving the drive on zero... how do you boost and amp with no drive from the pedal?

I can understand how it's used as an "eq" (mid increase) in that situation but overdrive??

And yes, I down own high-gain amps (rectoverb for example) and a bunch of ODs, including a few TS so it's not like I don't know how they sound...

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
      I guess I'm missing something 'cause there were mentions of using less gain from the amp and using the OD to push it more. I can see how that would work. However, a few of you mention leaving the drive on zero... how do you boost and amp with no drive from the pedal?
      The increase in volume alone will cause the amp to clip at the input stage. Kinda like the difference between high output pickups and vintage output ones.
      This way you can keep the amps gain lower which can yield a more defined and articulate tone, in theory that is.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
        The increase in volume alone will cause the amp to clip at the input stage. Kinda like the difference between high output pickups and vintage output ones.
        This way you can keep the amps gain lower which can yield a more defined and articulate tone, in theory that is.
        Oh ok, so basically the gain increase should be modest... basically a boost with a midrange prominence...

Comment

I prefer running my 5150 without an OD pedal, the amp has a monstrous, crushing tone that IMO cant be beat. However the rest of my band want me to mellow my tone, so I drop the Pre Gain to 5 and put my Vix Ice 9 in front, switched to Vintage. I dont overtake the room that way.
          Ibanez RG7620 and RG1527 w/ SD Nazgūl/Sentient pickups.
          Ibanez Jem 555 x2 (White Black)
          Epiphone Custom Alpine White
          Epiphone LP standard with SD Alnico Slash Pickup
          Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
          PRS SE Paul Allender
          Peavey 5150II

Www.soundcloud.com/fyregods singer and drummer wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
            Oh ok, so basically the gain increase should be modest... basically a boost with a midrange prominence...
            Yup, I'd use just a little depending on the guitar. It's mostly about clarity, tightness and cut of your rhythm playing in this case (assuming we're not talking singer/songwriter applications here). For solo's some added gain is nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
              I typically use an OD pedal with just about any amp that I try. Even with amps that have more gain than you'll ever need like the 5150/6505. The trick is to use about half the gain on the amp that you typically would, and then take the OD and crank the output, have the drive on 0 or 1, depending on how much you think you need, and then adjust the tone knob to taste, and you're golden!

It just adds some midrange to it, add some nice sizzle on the top, but not too much, and tightens up the low end. Really works for any type of music that requires an articulate tone.
              This +1.

Before I made the mistake of using too much gain on the amp, had pre-gain on 6 and maxed out the ts9. Feedback and noise everywhere!

Then dialled it back to 5 but still had to back off the level on the tubescreamer. It was a trade off, you either have the pre-gain high or or the level on the pedal high but not both.

Now its pre-gain on 4, and the level on the pedal about 1 o'clock...and it sounds great! More clarity in chords, tighter low end and more mids, squealies sound great too!!

Comment

Also, has anyone got or ever tried the hand-wired tubescreamers? I'm curious to know if the extra money is worth it, these things cost £300+ in GBP!

Comment

Working...
                X