banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxon AD999 . . . what can you tell me about this delay ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxon AD999 . . . what can you tell me about this delay ?

Yes it is made by Maxon.

Yes it is 100% analog.

But what else can you folks tell me about this unit ?

100% Analog Delay with 900 mS delay time Gorgeous, warm, organic delay tone Dynamic distortion on Delay repeats Capable of self-oscillation effects Custom Maxon MC4107D Bucket Brigade IC’s Stereo (wet/dry) outputs True Bypass Switching *Please note: Maxon has discontinued the AC210 AC Adapter. Due to this, the Maxon Vi

Anyone tested one ? Own one ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Maxon AD999 . . . what can you tell me about this delay ?

Yes, I own one.

It is mounted on my board and I leave it on all the time set for a very faint, slight slap-back delay. I run a Strymon El Capistan in front of it, and the Maxon makes the Strymon sound more analog. The two of them together sound substantially better together than either alone even though the Maxon is adjusted to only effect tone and not the delay effect.

As a stand alone delay I was immediately impressed with the precision of the Maxon and with the very uniform way that the delays trail off. The only downside, as is to be expected of any analog delay with extended delay time capability, is that it is rather dark sounding. It cannot compare with my old Deluxe Memory Man with the apparently no longer available Panasonic bucket brigade chips with respect to high fidelity repeats.

Another thing that surprised me is that it (the AD999) is capable multiple repeats, that is long feedback settings, without going into self oscillation (which I've never had any use for). I mean, it will self-oscillate, but not as early as many others.

It is a great delay for adding thickness that doesn't get in your way and , as I said, it is very predictable ... just too dark for me ... not muddy, but the repeats are noticeably lacking in highs and each successive repeat gets darker.
    Last edited by Lazarus1140; 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Thank you very much Lazarus

A member on another forum (who owns one, and several other Maxon units) described the delay as "gritty & dirty".

Can you relate to that ?
      If so . . . can you perhaps expand on that description ?

Thanks
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

This is the youtube clip he made . . . but i can not watch any clips for the next few month

Comment

Well, I can't relate to what he is doing because he has the mix knob maxed out. That is probably responsible for the oversaturated sound. I doubt I ever run the mix past about 10:00.

I am not The Edge. I don't need or want repeats that compete with my original signal.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Pure awesome, as are all Maxon delays. Just awesome in a big can.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              Well, I can't relate to what he is doing because he has the mix knob maxed out. That is probably responsible for the oversaturated sound. I doubt I ever run the mix past about 10:00.

I am not The Edge. I don't need or want repeats that compete with my original signal.

. . . understood - thanks again !

Comment

I used to be a huge fan, but I have experienced problems with their footswtches. Thres a secondary big "clunk" on a couple of my Maxxons. Its somthing that hapeens after you depress the footswitch, and itys LOUD! I' was a huge Maxxon fan, but I'll pass now .
                I do have their new Delay. Maxon AD-9 Pro...Thats a jem.Its state of the art analog , and made with the old OOP chip( I think).It deosnt have a bad switch, not this one.
                Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-22-2014, 09:42 PM.
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

It does what a delay does but with a tone that makes it sound "Professional".
                  Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                  http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    I used to be a huge fan, but I have experienced problems with their footswtches. Thres a secondary big "clunk" on a couple of my Maxxons. Its somthing that hapeens after you depress the footswitch, and itys LOUD! I' was a huge Maxxon fan, but I'll pass now .
                    I do have their new Delay. Maxon AD-9 Pro...Thats a jem.Its state of the art analog , and made with the old OOP chip( I think).It deosnt have a bad switch, not this one.

Would you take the AD-9 Pro over the AD-999 Pro ?

Comment

Working...
                    X