Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube Driven OD Pedals

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    My Moen Raw Tube is awesome as an overdrive in front of the dirty channel...really thickens/tightens things up & sweetens solo's a lot too..plus it's the size of a regular Boss pedal. Runs with a 15V wallwart.

The Behringer Vintage Tube Monster is really raunchy/fat/sweet and great for blues/hard rock...even 80's metal, especially after I swapped the stock tube for a JJ.

They're not the same thing as a regular SS OD/Distortion pedal.

As for high gain...this is a real beast! Wish I could get my hands on one

Yeah dont get me started on the SVS stuff. That video has been around a few uses yet no one can get a hold of one. I had my Ukrainian friend try for me for over a year and they kept jerking him around.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      There are actual tonal qualities associated with tube power amps in contrast with solid state amp, I think the question of whether those actual differences translate in the pre-amp only / pedal context that goes beyond subjective preference, which if you had fancy oscilloscopes and spectrometers you could see directly. Is there an audible impact on the compression characteristics and attack, is my question.
      How a tube clips the signal is different from how a transistor does. There are many things that can be heard and more importantly felt when you play that you CAN NOT measure on an oscilloscope. The downfall to tube pedals are usually the other associated tone networks or their power supplies. Much more to a circuit than just the diodes that are used for clipping.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm tempted to get the Behringer VT999 tube overdrive, but it's so outrageously large that I worry that if I love the sound, I'll be condemning myself to the hassle of always making room for it. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
          I'm tempted to get the Behringer VT999 tube overdrive, but it's so outrageously large that I worry that if I love the sound, I'll be condemning myself to the hassle of always making room for it. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
          Ever tried one? I recall it being noisy and nasty (not in a good way). Looks good on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
            Ever tried one? I recall it being noisy and nasty (not in a good way). Looks good on paper.
            Swap the tube...experiment a little with them..it makes a big difference. You probably had a microphonic/noisy tube in the one you tried. They do have an open, fat, raunchy kind of sound though..I liked that about them..
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              Yeah dont get me started on the SVS stuff. That video has been around a few uses yet no one can get a hold of one. I had my Ukrainian friend try for me for over a year and they kept jerking him around.
              Yeah, that seems to be a problem. I've come across the big Diesel preamp they make up for sale in a local auction in New Zealand though, so they definately do exist/build//ship a few (lol!)
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                Swap the tube...experiment a little with them..it makes a big difference. You probably had a microphonic/noisy tube in the one you tried. They do have an open, fat, raunchy kind of sound though..I liked that about them..
                Ah - I tried in a store once.

Comment

I just picked up TT Mayhem off of ebay a few weeks ago. It's now my main pedal. I can't for the life of me imagine why they discontinued it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    They're more fragile, usually large, and require an AC cable or DC wallwart. There's no generalities about the tone because some may sound really good and some don't at all.

I personally don't care for them, because there's a zillion solid state OD's that sound great and require no maintenance.

I'd suggest finding a Bogner Ecstasy Blue pedal. It sounds like a real channel added to your amp, plus it's own boost. It's got a lot of tweakability, so if you can't find a great sound with it, the problem isn't the pedal.

I like the XTC Red just as much as the Blue. It's higher in gain, but also sounds great at what it does. These pedals aren't cheap, but they're far more advanced than your typical OD/Dist pedals. You'll know why they cost more once you have it in your hands.
                    I decided to actually look up the XTC Blue pedal, because you are doing a real good job of making me want it, and I liked what I heard. So I checked the price and shouted out loud, "HOLY SH!T!". That is one expensive pedal haha. I don't know if I should save up for the pedal, or just save up for a new amp at $300 haha.

Comment

Half that used

Comment

I have a Blackstar Drive. It's a great pedal but I don't need an o/d for gigs because I get what I want from my amp. I'll often use an o/d at rehearsals but I find that I always take my Boss OD3. It's incredibly versatile, battery driven and can coax usable tones out of really bad amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                          I decided to actually look up the XTC Blue pedal, because you are doing a real good job of making me want it, and I liked what I heard. So I checked the price and shouted out loud "HOLY FR!JOLE!" That is one expensive pedal haha. I don't know if I should save up for the pedal, or just save up for a new amp at $300 haha.
                          I recently got myself the Ecstasy Blue. That thing sounds pretty darn amazing. Put the Blue in front of a $300 amp, and you've got yourself a setup that sounds like $1800. Don't forget to spend an extra $30 on some decent ear plugs.
                          Originally posted by DreX
                          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                            I recently got myself the Ecstasy Blue. That thing sounds pretty darn amazing. Put the Blue in front of a $300 amp, and you've got yourself a setup that sounds like $1800. Don't forget to spend an extra $30 on some decent ear plugs.
                            I'd be able to afford it soon, and I wonder how it would sound in front of a Vox Night Train. If it can sound like a Bogner with a Vox clean channel, I'd be very happy.

Comment

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...tion=used#used used gear at MF Google will find things
                              Originally posted by Oinkus
                              I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Working...
                              X