Maximum delay, minimum space/cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maximum delay, minimum space/cost

^ I was joking with that, but I'm liking the demos.. Sounds like an impressive little box.

I got one in storage - I must dig it out!

Comment

Ace,
      one more I forgot about. I own this little unit and it does a great job, little is not quite the right word. Vox DelayLab. Look it up.
      Oh one more thing,....its really cheap now, GC was blowing them out for $100 bucks just last week.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_DelayLab_Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	5777597
      Last edited by briggleman; 05-20-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

ooh - I saw that on the bay but wasn't sure what it was!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I bet you'd like me to bend over...

She's going to get the golden lasso after you!

Comment

Tc Nova Delay gives 10 presets but not sure if its easy to toggle through them live, but its small(almost) although 12V Dc & 300mA ratings might be a problem. If you can run it through its own PSU then it should work out fine.

Comment

I've been running two delays at times. The mainstay of my board has been the Rocktron Short-Timer. I like this pedal A LOT. It's digital, but sounds analog to me. Since we do a lot of '50s oldies, the short days, "slapback", are darn good. But even though the price was right it is a big pedal. I am thinking about trying out a Carbon Copy, to see if that smaller pedal will get me close to those tones.

Right now, another option would be a BBE Two-Timer; I won this in a contest a few months ago--haven't put it on my board--yet. It is similar to the Rocktron; big, but not as big as the Rocktron, and it does have the ability to footswitch between two delay times. A tap-tempo option would be nice, but it doesn't have that. Built like a tank, and it does sound good. And the price was even better!

I also have a DD-3. I was going to use this on my acoustic pedal board, but after attending a Yamaha clinic with Mike Stern and Lee Ritenour (who both used the DD-3), I realized that this pedal is often over-looked as a basic delay--and it's got me re-thinking my electric board. Look at some of the guitar mags, and you'll see this pedal in the rigs of many, many pros. It WORKS.

I used a Line 6 Echo Park for a while. This small pedal has an amazing amount of processing power in it--it can do darn near everything--maybe too much. Does have a lot of different delay effects, and built in modulation effects. Tap-tempo, too! But mine has a bit of clock noise that I hear, and the thing is a five-pound brick--got to be the heaviest small pedal I have EVER seen. If I could figure out how get rid of the clock noise this could work very well as a second pedal for longer delays--though I don't use them very often. It's in the drawer--I may have to get it out and experiment with it again.

And then there is a DD-20, just sitting there. It is big. It is complicated. I gotta admit, it is a little intimidating, but it might be all I would need. It does sound good though, and would be ideal to use in the EFX loops of my Mesas, with its switchable levels. WAAAAY more delay time than I need. If I can't make it sit up and behave, I'll probably just sell it.

And if I do wind up using the DD-20, I'd have to switch out the Rocktron; but I'd still be tempted to use something like the Carbon Copy for shorter analog sounds.

Ace, I realize this probably won't help you much, LOL, but at least it's helping me clarify some of the things I've been pondering for a few months. Thanks for the thread!

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                I've been running two delays at times. The mainstay of my board has been the Rocktron Short-Timer. I like this pedal A LOT. It's digital, but sounds analog to me. Since we do a lot of '50s oldies, the short days, "slapback", are darn good. But even though the price was right it is a big pedal. I am thinking about trying out a Carbon Copy, to see if that smaller pedal will get me close to those tones.
                I love my Carbon Copy, but if it has one weak spot, it is slapback. Not to say that it doesn't do a great slapback, but I've gotten better slapback tones from an AquaPuss and a Mooer AnaEcho (based on the Boss DM-2). The difference between the CC and the other two isn't big, but it's noticeable (at least to me). If I could only have one delay, it would be the Carbon Copy hands down, but my ideal set up would have a CC for longer modulated delays and an AnaEcho for slapback.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Vox Time Machine

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                    I love my Carbon Copy, but if it has one weak spot, it is slapback. Not to say that it doesn't do a great slapback, but I've gotten better slapback tones from an AquaPuss and a Mooer AnaEcho (based on the Boss DM-2). The difference between the CC and the other two isn't big, but it's noticeable (at least to me). If I could only have one delay, it would be the Carbon Copy hands down, but my ideal set up would have a CC for longer modulated delays and an AnaEcho for slapback.
                    Wow I thought that was just me. I use the DD6 for slapback and the Carbon Copy for just about everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                      Good to know. Thanks.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I REALLY like the very over-looked Boss RE-20 !!!

That thing is MUCH better than most people give it credit !
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I really think I need to get back to my Ibanez AD-9…..

But some contestants include:

Line6 Delay Modeller
                          Boss DD-20
                          Vox Delay Lab
                          And maybe the TC Nova

All of those things = Maximum delay presets!

Or perhaps a Garagetone and a Modtone Analog….
                          Last edited by Aceman; 05-25-2014, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Fantastic post Bill! We all need to step back and reflect on our experience from time to time. A few comments;

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                            I'm gonna check out the short timer. Some good reviews, and good buys. I'll take cheap and good vs size.

Right now, another option would be a BBE Two-Timer; I won this in a contest a few months ago--haven't put it on my board--yet. It is similar to the Rocktron; big, but not as big as the Rocktron, and it does have the ability to footswitch between two delay times. A tap-tempo option would be nice, but it doesn't have that. Built like a tank, and it does sound good. And the price was even better!
                            I have thought hard about the Two-timer. Not a ton of love out there, and I don't know if I dig JSUT changing the time with same level/repeats… But again, nice size. If the price was right.

I also have a DD-3. I was going to use this on my acoustic pedal board, but after attending a Yamaha clinic with Mike Stern and Lee Ritenour (who both used the DD-3), I realized that this pedal is often over-looked as a basic delay--and it's got me re-thinking my electric board. Look at some of the guitar mags, and you'll see this pedal in the rigs of many, many pros. It WORKS.
                            My mainstay for 30 years. Every guitar should come with one!

And then there is a DD-20, just sitting there. It is big. It is complicated. I gotta admit, it is a little intimidating, but it might be all I would need. It does sound good though, and would be ideal to use in the EFX loops of my Mesas, with its switchable levels. WAAAAY more delay time than I need. If I can't make it sit up and behave, I'll probably just sell it.
                            This may be my best deal for presets where I can manipulate time/repeats/level

Ace, I realize this probably won't help you much, LOL, but at least it's helping me clarify some of the things I've been pondering for a few months. Thanks for the thread!
                            Hey - good stuff anyway Bill!

And my Analog of choice is an AD-9. Hate myself for getting rid of that….

Comment

Working...
                            X