Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JMP-1 Preamp in a pedal?

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
    How about a fender blender into a cranked tube amp? That's capable of killing small animals in a 5 mile radius. The Fender Blender was also used pretty heavily by SP.
    Originally posted by dominus View Post
    Throw an overdrive into the Bogner to slam it a little harder.
    The blender is a monster, I didn't even think about it, I'll have to check it.

I was listening to samples of the box of rock, and when using the built in boost, it can get pretty heavy. Fizzy and heavy like a Marshall, I'm thinking I might like that more than the bogner.

Comment

AMT S1, P1, or R1 should do that for you. That's definitely a layered sound with bass, but the AMT pedals should get you close.

Might sound heavier and faster than you'd like, but try to listen for the tone.
      +1 to that. AMT pedals will do the trick. If you want to emulate of how Smashing Pumpkins guys created juicy sounds you might also want to consider an AMT M1 with a Big Muff before and experiment with the sweet spot gain setting on both. The AMT M1 is very friendly with overdrive pedals, just like the original JCM800.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

Hmmm... this thread is a clusterf**k of advice.

FWIW, don't ever buy a pedal based on consensus on this site.

Billy Corgan's sound is an insane collection of expensive amps.

As far as Marshalls go, it's a JCM800 (with KT88s), Marshall Super Lead and Marshall Super Tremolo. None of these are high gain brootal amps except for the JCM800 which can get to the brutez.

Early stuff has fuzz all over it... the later stuff uses the fuzz too although Billy claims he doesn't use it much anymore.

The AMT stuff is a budget alternative... not the best emulations around but the best cost to quality ratio.

Whoever got to talking about Bogners was well meaning but it sort of rabbit hole to get lost in as far as looking for the tone you are seeking.

An ADA MP-1 Preamp is 90% or more of the tone of a JMP-1 preamp... and they can be bought on eBay for less than the cost of a Weehbo pedal. It's not a pedal but is a lot of fun for JMP/JCM800 tones.

Of course, the Weehbo stuff are the finest overdrive/distortion pedals made on the market today... the fact that they haven't caught on here on the states is largely due to their massive price tags which put them in the realm of the most expensive boutique drives. I don't recommend them because I own one... they are just simply the best. They are a cut above Menatone and two cuts above Wampler... the only problem is which model one to choose?
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
          Billy Corgan's sound is an insane collection of expensive amps.

As far as Marshalls go, it's a JCM800 (with KT88s), Marshall Super Lead and Marshall Super Tremolo. None of these are high gain brootal amps except for the JCM800 which can get to the brutez.
          It' true that Billy's using a rack of Salvation preamps now, but many of those are used to cop tones from the most recent Pumpkins album. Earlier stuff was a combination of fuzz / distortion pedals through the 'Soul' JCM800 augmented by ADA MP-1 (Gish & SD), Marshall JMP-1 (SD & MCIS), and an ADA MP-2 (MCIS). Adore was a ridiculous array of guitars and amps while Machina & Zeitgeist are mostly Diezel (VH4 & Herbert respectively).

An ADA MP-1 Preamp is 90% or more of the tone of a JMP-1 preamp... and they can be bought on eBay for less than the cost of a Weehbo pedal. It's not a pedal but is a lot of fun for JMP/JCM800 tones.
          The ADA MP-1 may cop 90% of the JMP-1 tone, but IMO they differ in ways than even a non-educated listener would be able to notice.

Just out of curiosity, how familiar are you with those preamps? I've had both, and found the gain character to be pretty different, in addition to the difference in frequency focus. IME the MP-1 was bright and grainy with plenty of gain on tap. OTOH the JMP-1 was fatter, had less gain, and had a smooth, diode-clipped sort of fuzz/buzz going on.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            It' true that Billy's using a rack of Salvation preamps now, but many of those are used to cop tones from the most recent Pumpkins album. Earlier stuff was a combination of fuzz / distortion pedals through the 'Soul' JCM800 augmented by ADA MP-1 (Gish & SD), Marshall JMP-1 (SD & MCIS), and an ADA MP-2 (MCIS). Adore was a ridiculous array of guitars and amps while Machina & Zeitgeist are mostly Diezel (VH4 & Herbert respectively).

The ADA MP-1 may cop 90% of the JMP-1 tone, but IMO they differ in ways than even a non-educated listener would be able to notice.

Just out of curiosity, how familiar are you with those preamps? I've had both, and found the gain character to be pretty different, in addition to the difference in frequency focus. IME the MP-1 was bright and grainy with plenty of gain on tap. OTOH the JMP-1 was fatter, had less gain, and had a smooth, diode-clipped sort of fuzz/buzz going on.
            I've always loved the ADA MP-1's grainy sound... that's sort of where the Bogner direction was going IMHO. I've only played the JMP-1 in music stores (a long time ago).

Personally, I've always thought that Billy Corgan's overdriven sound was horrible for rhythm... it worked great for leads.

As you can remember, Gish was the dawn of daisy chaining distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals into already overdriven/distorted amps. Everyone looked to J. Mascis for tone tips and he was cascading dirt pedal after dirt pedal into his already overdriven Marshalls. When the gain gets too much... the signal shrinks and gets farty. J. Mascis and Billy Corgan both had that problem, they truly had horrible rhythm guitar sounds.

What they had going for them was great clean tones, a good band, interesting vocals and GREAT songs. Of course, in J and Billy's defense... their cascaded tinny fart sounds complimented the songs they wrote.

Billy was a massive guitar hero but he couldn't play worth a ****... he was all hype. That era wasn't about technical skill anyways... it was about emotion and Billy BROUGHT IT!!!!!
            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

no offense gents, but the bogner red is far far from high gain. I played one in my rig for a few days, even boosted it with another pedal, and it was no where near high gain that I wanted. Even the uberschall doesn't quite sound like it has enough gain. And personally, a marshall has an extremely different tone than a bogner. Bogner's seem to be very transparent and have its own midrange thing going on. I actually wouldn't recommend the red to anyone unless they were looking for a hot rodded plexi tone.

I checked the amt pedals, the marshall ones I checked sounded interesting. But there isn't enough reviews or demos for me to make a decision, and I refuse to deal with buying then selling or returns. The pedal that caught my attention was the box rock. It emulated the jtm45, which doesn't have much in common with a jcm or a jtm1, but when boosted it can get really fat and fizzy like a marshall. I'm thinking that may be the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                no offense gents, but the bogner red is far far from high gain. I played one in my rig for a few days, even boosted it with another pedal, and it was no where near high gain that I wanted. Even the uberschall doesn't quite sound like it has enough gain. And personally, a marshall has an extremely different tone than a bogner. Bogner's seem to be very transparent and have its own midrange thing going on. I actually wouldn't recommend the red to anyone unless they were looking for a hot rodded plexi tone.
                Not sure why it was recommended or why you bought it.

Comment

FWIW, don't ever buy a pedal based on consensus on this site.

Whoever got to talking about Bogners was well meaning but it sort of rabbit hole to get lost in as far as looking for the tone you are seeking.

I hate to say it, but your right. I'm not trying to bash anyone, I appreciate everyone's time and effort on this thread, their intention was to help me out. But, I pulled the trigger on the bogner red and it was far from what I wanted. My fault as well, I should have listened to more samples. But I'm not mad about it or anything.

The MP-1 is 90% or more of the JMP-1 tone????? I'd have to ask Dystrust to elaborate further. He know the MCIS tones I seek, and he has an MP-1. His statement would be more than sufficient in my opinion, and he said it was very different tone. So I'm not sure that would be the correct route.

Personally, I've always thought that Billy Corgan's overdriven sound was horrible for rhythm... it worked great for leads.

As you can remember, Gish was the dawn of daisy chaining distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals into already overdriven/distorted amps. Everyone looked to J. Mascis for tone tips and he was cascading dirt pedal after dirt pedal into his already overdriven Marshalls. When the gain gets too much... the signal shrinks and gets farty. J. Mascis and Billy Corgan both had that problem, they truly had horrible rhythm guitar sounds.

What they had going for them was great clean tones, a good band, interesting vocals and GREAT songs. Of course, in J and Billy's defense... their cascaded tinny fart sounds complimented the songs they wrote.

Billy was a massive guitar hero but he couldn't play worth a ****... he was all hype. That era wasn't about technical skill anyways... it was about emotion and Billy BROUGHT IT!!!!!
                  Interesting. Personally, Billy and J are 2 of my favorites. I love both of their lead and rhythm tones, for the most part. They aren't shredders by any means, but the high gain and fuzzes they use are tonal heaven for me, sometimes. J Mascis has the signature double rock pedal out, which is what I was looking into. It sounds amazing, based on the samples I've heard thus far.

Comment

I checked the amt pedals, the marshall ones I checked sounded interesting. But there isn't enough reviews or demos for me to make a decision, and I refuse to deal with buying then selling or returns. The pedal that caught my attention was the box rock. It emulated the jtm45, which doesn't have much in common with a jcm or a jtm1, but when boosted it can get really fat and fizzy like a marshall. I'm thinking that may be the ticket.
                    The AMT pedals do take overdrives well. I haven't played the M1 though, so I can't recommend it. I wonder how it'd sound with a Rat in front. Musician's Friend does pretty well on returns, so really you'd only be out the return shipping if you went through them. Granted, you could probably get it cheaper on eBay. If you get a used one and don't care for it, let me know, I'll buy it from you.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

But there isn't enough reviews or demos for me to make a decision, and I refuse to deal with buying then selling or returns.
                      The "try first - decide second" policy seemed to work to me all the time. You can't taste a cake without eating it.

The AMT pedals do take overdrives well. I haven't played the M1 though, so I can't recommend it. I wonder how it'd sound with a Rat in front.
                      No RAT around but it eats Super Overdrive, TS808 / 909, Maxon TS, Big Muff and Blues Driver like the big boys.

C'mon man. I never recommend anything that I don't have experience with. Cheepo or not, classy or not, hyped or not, this little stomper outsounded my 2 fav Marshall heads during a reamping session 2 years ago in A/B test. As a Marshall player since the early '90s I was sceptical like hell when I started using the M1 and started to use this unit because of necessity (my spine gave up on me) but in the practice it prove to be just as useful as the real thing. Without the heavy load. It eats stompboxes nicely and with a Big Muff you can get Smashing Pumpkin sounds with it. OP question was, "Marshall JMP-1 Preamp in a pedal?" I answered that, based on my experience with this pedal that fits in. Ende
                      Last edited by NecroPolo; 07-15-2014, 11:26 PM.
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                        C'mon man. I never recommend anything that I don't have experience with. Cheepo or not, classy or not, hyped or not, this little stomper outsounded my 2 fav Marshall heads during a reamping session 2 years ago in A/B test. As a Marshall player since the early '90s I was sceptical like hell when I started using the M1 and started to use this unit because of necessity (my spine gave up on me) but in the practice it prove to be just as useful as the real thing. Without the heavy load. It eats stompboxes nicely and with a Big Muff you can get Smashing Pumpkin sounds with it. OP question was, "Marshall JMP-1 Preamp in a pedal?" I answered that, based on my experience with this pedal that fits in. Ende
                        AMT stuff is really interesting... your advice is always good.

Comment

AMT stuff is really interesting... your advice is always good.
                          All budget Cheers!
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

i sold the jvm drive
                            it was not good at all