What fuzz do I want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fuzz do I want?

So here is a demo I just made, and I'd like to know what the best fuzz for getting that sound in real life would be (the rhythm tone, mainly). I recorded it on my PODxt, JTM45 amp model and "Octave Fuzz" fuzz model which is based on an Octavia. I don't expect the real-life counterparts to sound anything like the models, so I'm making this post. Rhythm tone is middle-bridge notch on an MIJ Strat with 2 SSL1s and a stock Fender bridge single, lead tone is the bridge only.

I don't know much about fuzzes at all, my best guess would be a Fuzz Factory. But its just a guess.
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Re: What fuzz do I want?

I'd be slightly wary of the Fuzz Factory, they can be quite tricky to set up (too many controls that interact with each other). Or at least that was my experience. It put me off fuzzes for a long time. To be honest, I'd start with what the model is supposedly based off - at least see if you can get to demo one in person somewhere.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Dunno but that was freakin cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
        To be honest, I'd start with what the model is supposedly based off - at least see if you can get to demo one in person somewhere.
        Yeah I'll try to find something similar. I'm just assuming the modeled version is a good deal different from the real thing, as the JTM45 model I use on there is a giant crushing doom/sludge monster with no pedals at all, and in real life…not quite. I might do the BYOC octave fuzz, it'd probably be a good experience even if I don't get that sound.
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

dude

for $30 you really should try this one before building one

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-12-Ult...ds=joyo+octave
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

cool recording! that modeler does the trick lol

black arts pharaoh has a lot of gain to it and works with high gain amps so I think it is a good start (and finish) to the fuzz world

Comment

That sounds a lot like a Boss FZ2.
              You have...a plethora of fuzz designs to choose from now. The Black Cat Bee Buzz might be something to look into. (3:25 or so)

The Univox/Shin-ei Companion fuzz is a good pedal clone to look for, but the Burns Buzzaround goes way too far. Satisfaction Fuzz from EHX is rather nasty and may be a good pedal in combination to a fuzz face to get there as well.
              Originally posted by Funkfingers
              Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I am pretty impressed with the pedals Jon recommends

I betta post this in case you are looking for this sound:

Comment

Try either the Joyo Octave (swapping the direction of the polarised caps is an easy mod that improves its octave sound) or Behringer FZ-2 Clone just to see if it gets in the ballpark before dropping hundreds on a boutique or vintage fuzz unless you can try out a whole lot of nice pedals with your rig.
                  Gondola Kid
                  Bandcamp
                  Facebook
                  JimijaymesGuitarist
                  Youtube

Comment

pharaoh is very hard to beat.
                    What amp will you be using tho? That's the biggest and most important key ingredient.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-17-2014, 09:23 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The behringer clone is the sf300.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

you still got the orange tiny terror?

Comment

Yeah still Tiny Terror, its what I use most of the time.

I might pick up the Joyo and Behringer, they're cheap enough trying both wouldn't be a problem at all.
                          My concern with the Pharaoh (which I've considered before for other purposes) is that it seems to be a traditional muffy fuzz at its core. At least on my modeled version I'm adding very very little gain to the sound, what I desire is that rattiness and and grit that the octave fuzz adds without being liquidy. And, of course, the cool subtle octaveness. I'm wary of anything without an octave up to it, I think thats the secret to success here.

In my searching I just discovered that Black Arts is making the Fnord again. I had no idea. I think that might be the one to go with. Its a little more chaotic sounding, but that could be fun. I also like what I'm hearing from the Earthquaker Hoof Reaper, its got a pretty mean octave mode on it. It may actually be the closest to what I'm looking for.

I was hoping this thread would result in one definite answer. The options are killing me, damn that wide world of fuzz.

Comment

I still vote for pharaoh. then try the others after...

unless you are looking for less rattiness and grit. then the other suggestions are better. to disclose my biansness, I would not be seeking the modeler tone in your original clip, but to each his own.

lots of adjustability, great for leaving on for the whole gig. I am not big into octaves except for effects on solos and other short term applications, as I prefer the natural primary frequencies of the amp/guitar, and that leaves the bass guitar in tact.

Comment

…how does an octave up harm the bassist?

At any rate what I think I need to do is spend my entire xmas bonus on fuzz pedals this year. Practical? Not at all. But it might be necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X