New Pedal Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pedal Day

So I got one of these today. It's super rad. Jafeel?

I want to really open it up at proper playing volume before I dig in to a review. But here are a few observations:

Construction is top notch. The roller bar is a brilliant addition that's not just for aesthetics - you can't touch the eq sliders with your feet unless you're trying to (which I would definitely not advocate).

The hi mode has, IMO, the perfect amount gain boost pre set. You can tailor the amount of volume boost for hi mode with the trim. The two channels balance very well with each other.

The 5-band is exactly like on a Mark series. Seriously, it's incredible. there are so many tones in the 5 band alone. And then, the cherry on top - having the eq channel assignable allows you to effectively have two radically different channels if you should so choose.

Stay tuned for more! I hope to have a full review up next week. I may even have full band clips if I play my cards right.
    Last edited by Agileguy_101; 10-25-2014, 10:56 AM.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: New Pedal Day

Interesting that they would add bass/treble controls to a graphic EQ. Oh well, looks sweet anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Interesting that they would add bass/treble controls to a graphic EQ. Oh well, looks sweet anyway.
      I typically dial in a bit more bass at lower volumes and adjust treble to taste depending on venue/volume. That whilst keeping your preffered EQ curve is very convenient to me.

Comment

Looks quite intense! What's the low gain like?
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I think these are pretty cool...great concept. If I didn't already have Mesa amps, it's definitely a pedal I would look into.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Oh my, that is impressive. Can't wait to hear a clip.

Comment

I prefer Throttle Box EQ.

Comment

Well that's because the EQ is channel assignable, just like a real Mesa amp. That way if I want to have it off on the low channel, I still have EQ controls.

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                Looks quite intense! What's the low gain like?
                I don't really want to comment too much on the tone before I really get to open it up at a good volume, but it's very nice, just like a Mesa IMO. Dynamic and very responsive to pick attack. It's got a nice clean up too.

Originally posted by afhazairin View Post
                I prefer Throttle Box EQ.
                Okay? Not sure what your point is here.
                Last edited by Agileguy_101; 10-25-2014, 02:36 PM.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these since they came out. I finally had a chance to play one at a local shop, and while I liked it, I wasn't as floored by it as I had hoped. There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of tones to be had here, and a lot of nice variety with the assignable EQs, but it felt a little stiff or flat to me. It responded to my picking dynamics and the volume knob OK, but not nearly as well as my Bluesbreaker clone. Granted I wasn't playing it at a super high volume, so perhaps some of that would disappear when it was really opened up. After playing with it, though, I'm leaning more toward getting the 5-band stand alone EQ.

Congrats on a nice score though. I'm looking forward to the review.
                  Go Packers!

Comment

I can understand why you would say that about the Flux Five playing it at low volumes. I get the same impression, but I can tell from my second or two of accidentally having the volume too high that it will really open up once you get to gigging volumes. I'm going to take my board, amp, and a few axes to work with me tomorrow so I can crank it after work at my boss's warehouse. That will give me a great idea of what sounds and feels like at gigging volumes. And hopefully I'll be jamming on tuesday, so I'll find out how it works in a band mix. I'll report back after each of the experiences.

And yeah, it's just awesome having the Mesa EQ in a pedal. If I had the space, I'd love to have the standalone eq.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Essentially what it does is allow you to bypass the slider EQ using the standard two tone knob EQ on either/both the low or/and high gain channels. There are pros and cons of both designs. I, personally, use the low side without the slider EQ since it's a bit fatter that way and set the higher gain side to cut with the EQ on. Nice flexibility with this one.

You can also considerably roll back the gain and have almost a clean boost thing happening with it and still have plenty of gain on tap if you wanted to kick it in. The volume knob itself is at unity at around 9 o'clock so there's a heck of a lot even on just the low side to make your notes jump out.

I'm looking forward to hear how it cuts in the band mix Jordan
                      Last edited by That90'sGuy; 10-25-2014, 06:59 PM.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                        I can understand why you would say that about the Flux Five playing it at low volumes. I get the same impression, but I can tell from my second or two of accidentally having the volume too high that it will really open up once you get to gigging volumes. I'm going to take my board, amp, and a few axes to work with me tomorrow so I can crank it after work at my boss's warehouse. That will give me a great idea of what sounds and feels like at gigging volumes. And hopefully I'll be jamming on tuesday, so I'll find out how it works in a band mix. I'll report back after each of the experiences.

And yeah, it's just awesome having the Mesa EQ in a pedal. If I had the space, I'd love to have the standalone eq.

That's good to hear. I really liked what I heard when I played it. But it was with an unfamiliar guitar through an Express 5:25+ at the shop, and I was keeping it pretty low (it still sounded really good).
                        Go Packers!

Comment

I wasn't able to get my rig together in time for work, so it looks like I'll just have to wait until Tuesday to really open up the Mesa. Oh well, I can wait two days.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

what is the difference between the Mesa 5 band EQ and say a Boss Graphic EQ ???

Don't need another gain pedal as I am happy with my Bass Big Muff PI + Malekko Sloika stack but I have been interested in getting an EQ for awhile for fine tuning or even as a huge mid boost option.
                            Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                            Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                            Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
                              what is the difference between the Mesa 5 band EQ and say a Boss Graphic EQ ???

Don't need another gain pedal as I am happy with my Bass Big Muff PI + Malekko Sloika stack but I have been interested in getting an EQ for awhile for fine tuning or even as a huge mid boost option.
                              The frequencies and bandwith. It's pretty hard getting a crappy sound with the Mesa EQ, something the Boss can do a lot better and easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X