banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Companies that are dishonest about true bypass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies that are dishonest about true bypass.

I bought an MXR Submachine fuzz pedal recently. While I love it, the box, websites, and demo videos advertise that it is true bypass, however the back of the user's manual says that it is buffered bypass in the specs.

When I tested the pedal in person, I discovered that it is not true bypass. I personally don't really care about whether a pedal is buffered or has true bypass, but some people do care.

And regardless of the timeless debate on the issue, I think MXR should be more honest about their products. Still an awesome pedal, though.

Have you guys ever caught B.S. like this from a guitar, amp, or pedal company? Do you think they're deliberately misleading people, or do you think they are just uneducated about their own products?
    Last edited by wickenspoet; 03-03-2015, 05:20 AM.

Re: Companies that are dishonest about true bypass.

The whole business is BS in the third degree!
    Organic, better, studio quality, meticoulus, handpicked, NOS, 3D sounding, transparent, upgraded, hotrodded, modded, and it keeps going on!

Comment

Marketing people will say anything to sell a product, even if they don't know what it means. I use a Loop-master strip for all of my pedals, it makes the whole buffer/bypass thing irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by wickenspoet View Post
        When I tested the pedal in person, I discovered that it is not true bypass. I personally don't really care about whether a pedal is buffered or has true bypass, but some people do care.
        How did you discover this? Was your signal flow interupted when you unplugged the power?
        I like having a buffer early in the chain myself. One of the reasons I got the MXR Analog Chorus.

Comment

If you think true bypass marketing is BS, they're squeaky clean compared to the amp manufacturers who describe their cathode biased amps as "Class A". Very few amps with that designation (and almost none with two or more power tubes) actually meet the proper definition of Class A.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

How about the fact that if the word "tube" or "valve" appears anywhere in the model name of the amp, there's a 75% chance it's solid state?

Yeah, what up Transtube, Valvestate, Valve Reactor, etc?
            Last edited by St_Genesius; 03-03-2015, 02:28 PM.
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
              If you think true bypass marketing is BS, they're squeaky clean compared to the amp manufacturers who describe their cathode biased amps as "Class A". Very few amps with that designation (and almost none with two or more power tubes) actually meet the proper definition of Class A.
              Very true! However, what percentage of guitarist actually know the true definition of Class A operation?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                The whole business is BS in the third degree!
                Organic, better, studio quality, meticoulus, handpicked, NOS, 3D sounding, transparent, upgraded, hotrodded, modded, and it keeps going on!
                Dude you forgot: dynamic, responsive, articulate, amazing clarity, and "reissue".

Comment

I find Blackstars marketing of the HT series dishonest. They advertise them as tube amps, but there are a whole lot of solid state components going on in there. They sound good, but I think they are more of a hybrid than full tube amp.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                    How did you discover this? Was your signal flow interupted when you unplugged the power?
                    Yep. Tried toggling the bypass switch after the pedal was unplugged from power. No signal came through, unlike my other pedals that are true bypass.

Comment

"True bypass" is probably enforceable.

Tube is a lot fuzzier since they say "tube <something>".

Which pedal is that? I feel like smacking some corporate dorks anyway. Is the company otherwise well-behaved?

Comment

Never had a problem with my Keeleys or my SD TT-Mayhem. Even unplugged, they send a signal if they are switched off. I have an Ibanez Weeping Demon and TS-7, both of which I love, that are buffered. I run them all together and don't have any issues. Well, from the boxes. My playing...

Comment

It really depends on your definition of true bypass... If you think it is fully the same as hard-bypass (i.e. by mechanical switching), then you are right.

However true-bypass can also be electronically switched. Also in this way no part of the effect-circuit is electrically active/connected when in bypass mode (not half-connected when bypassed like the tone-sucking buffered-pedals we don't like). Basically electronic true-bypass forces all the signal (without any buffering) to go through one wire without the need for an extra pole on your mechanical switch. All you need for this is power. The benifit of this way of switching usually is less switch-pop, which is why some companies use it... To me electronically it is the same thing, so I am inclined to also call this true-bypass. But for the average player it may not be that obvious anymore, since indeed when you unplug the power the signal is gone... like with a buffered bypass pedal.
                          Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                            How about the fact that if the word "tube" or "valve" appears anywhere in the model name of the amp, there's a 75% chance it's solid state?

Yeah, what up Transtube, Valvestate, Valve Reactor, etc?
                            Mostly your right but i give Marshall a pass with valvestate since they do have a preamp tube and the name was suppose to represent this combination.

But this is a sin that many have commited... look at the pedal manufacturers. Tube screamer? Dod's Classic Tube?

Even many amps described as "all tube" have diodes somewhere in the circuit. So there is a lot of blurriness with the terms.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
                              It really depends on your definition of true bypass... If you think it is fully the same as hard-bypass (i.e. by mechanical switching), then you are right.

However true-bypass can also be electronically switched. Also in this way no part of the effect-circuit is electrically active/connected when in bypass mode (not half-connected when bypassed like the tone-sucking buffered-pedals we don't like). Basically electronic true-bypass forces all the signal (without any buffering) to go through one wire without the need for an extra pole on your mechanical switch. All you need for this is power. The benifit of this way of switching usually is less switch-pop, which is why some companies use it... To me electronically it is the same thing, so I am inclined to also call this true-bypass. But for the average player it may not be that obvious anymore, since indeed when you unplug the power the signal is gone... like with a buffered bypass pedal.
                              How is that supposed to work, exactly?

Comment

Working...
                              X