banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Companies that are dishonest about true bypass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Companies that are dishonest about true bypass.

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    But that means that, even in bypass mode, it is still an active element.
    I guess not. At least not in the sense of having an active element in the signal path. To me it looks like it just acts like a small resistor and capacitance, just like any cable would. However the resistance is somewhat higher than normal. Too me that's it. I'm not completely sure though, I haven't looked into the internal workings of this device.
    To ask differently, if you were to place a load capacitor to lower the pickup's resonance peak frequency before and after such a bypass, it wouldn't work after it, no?
    I think it would... But again, I'm not sure.
    Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
      True bypass is called a guitar cable plugged from amp to guitar with nothing in between!
      A purely mechanical switch in a shielded enclosure is true enough by me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
        I guess not. At least not in the sense of having an active element in the signal path. To me it looks like it just acts like a small resistor and capacitance, just like any cable would. However the resistance is somewhat higher than normal. Too me that's it. I'm not completely sure though, I haven't looked into the internal workings of this device.

I think it would... But again, I'm not sure.
        Hmm, hold on. The capacitance is in series (the signal flows through it), no?

The cable's capacitance is parallel to the signal, it is a load capacitance.

If I wanted to test this, can somebody point me to buy this element somewhere?

Comment

Hmm, hold on. The capacitance is in series (the signal flows through it), no?
          No way, a pf range capacitance in series would be a highpass-filter that would only let all the really high frequencies through. The listed capacitance will surely be parallel as well. So it really is like a cable.
          Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

No way, a pf range capacitance in series would be a highpass-filter that would only let all the really high frequencies through. The listed capacitance will surely be parallel as well. So it really is like a cable.
            Fair enough then. 20 pF would be acceptable as an additional load.

My Vox guitar cable has 0.41 nF, so that would be 5% more load.

Comment

Fair enough then. 20 pF would be acceptable as an additional load.

My Vox guitar cable has 0.41 nF, so that would be 5% more load.
              Yes, in effect it is comparable to using an extra patch cable, which also has something like 80pf/meter = 25pf/ft.

To fully do an honest comparison you'd also have to measure the resistance and capacitance of an average true bypass guitar pedal and compare. The 3pdt switch can have some capacitance, but the good ones usually do not...

Comment

Yes, in effect it is comparable to using an extra patch cable, which also has something like 80pf/meter = 25pf/ft.

To fully do an honest comparison you'd also have to measure the resistance and capacitance of an average true bypass guitar pedal and compare. The 3pdt switch can have some capacitance, but the good ones usually do not...
                Now, a bit of load is OK with me.

I just can't wrap my head about the concept that impedance after this circuit is the same.

If you were to put load capacitors before or after this bypass, would they behave the same way?

Comment

Now, a bit of load is OK with me.

I just can't wrap my head about the concept that impedance after this circuit is the same.

If you were to put load capacitors before or after this bypass, would they behave the same way?
                  To me that's basically asking, does putting it after or before a long cable make a difference. If yes, then yes it may (although it is more comparable to a short cable) make a difference.

I feel the thing that gets to you is: 'it's active'. But it is not really. In the end you can view it as a simple diode put in line with your signal, when bypassed. That's about it. In reality diodes have a stray capacitance and series resistance, so they are not theoretical, ideal diodes. That about the comparison between a real shorting switch = true bypass and a 'diode' short = this 'chip-bypass'. I hope that comparison helps a little bit

Comment

To me that's basically asking, does putting it after or before a long cable make a difference. If yes, then yes it may (although it is more comparable to a short cable) make a difference.
                    Still want to test

I feel the thing that gets to you is: 'it's active'. But it is not really. In the end you can view it as a simple diode put in line with your signal, when bypassed. That's about it. In reality diodes have a stray capacitance and series resistance, so they are not theoretical, ideal diodes. That about the comparison between a real shorting switch = true bypass and a 'diode' short = this 'chip-bypass'. I hope that comparison helps a little bit
                    OK, but that doesn't mix with saying that the load capacitance is parallel to the signal. How can a diode in series have a capacitance in parallel?

Comment

OK, but that doesn't mix with saying that the load capacitance is parallel to the signal. How can a diode in series have a capacitance in parallel?
                      That's indeed where the comparison is not quite sufficient. In the end it functions as a diode with an added (non-used) electrode when in bypass mode. Hence the capacitance in parallel. The electrode is not 'functional' in the bypass mode, but it lead to some capacitance none the less.

Comment

Working...
                      X