Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the best fuzz for a Marshall

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Fuzzes are notoriously sensitive to transistor types, gain and biasing. Hendrix went through aFuzz Faces by the box to pick the good ones. They are ultra simple circuits, so the only difference between an awesome one and a crappy one is component type and values. Frank's probably used hand picked transistors (vintage NOS germanium transistors are what we are used to hearing, but even with Silicon there is a wide range of tones available) with matched Hfe values and appropriately selected bias resistors for his specific transistors.

Fuzz prices remind me of the story of the Engineer that visited Edison's generator and fixed it. You're not paying for the components, you're paying for the knowledge on how to use the components and the time it took to acquire and sort transistors for gain values in the correct range.
    Yeah yeah i know all about fuzz's and how they came about. Ive even suffered the up and downs of my own white dot sunface that essentially is so finicky that I have a rig built around it.

Even with the hand picked nos transistors they are still picking through what were off the shelf no nothing components. Now they might be rare and valuable and difficult to find in the particular range they want... But they are still cheesy lo fi components.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Ok, we're on the same page. Those definitely weren't military grade transistors and capacitors.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

zz top fuzz tone on the solo of ........whats up with that......is a cool fuzz tone

Comment

Something like this is in my ballpark

Comment

the best fuzz box i tried was the big muff pi.

Comment

Working...
            X