Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Metal Pedals?

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Save your money for a better amp. No pedal in front of that amp is going to sound great.
    Quote for truth. Once you go stack, you don't go back.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

nothing thru a fender mustang. its a small wattage modelling amp. If you cant get close enough using the presets, then you need a different amp - and preferably not a modeller so it will be a bit more pedal friendly if you want to experiment.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Pacifica View Post
        Would the EHX Metal Muff sound better than a unmodded Metal Zone?
        "Sound better" is subjective, you would have to try them both out to decide that for yourself. I used a Metal Muff W/Top Boost for a while and loved it. However, I had the distortion at about 7-8 o'clock (almost all the way down) so except for just messing around, I never pushed the distortion all the way.

My thoughts, it has a great drive sound with a huge supply of gain. The Top Boost is an awesome feature, great for switching between rhythm and solos. The Pedal was noisy though, IMO. I would say try a Rat Solo or a Turbo Rat over the Metal Muff but others might disagree with me.

Comment

Here's my rundown on some dirt boxes and floor preamps that I find to do very well

The Blackstar HT-Blackfire is pretty much the ultimate modern metal pedal with two modes, one being a tube like hi-gain metal rhythm sound (80s and beyond; clear, spongy and saturated with just enough sag going on. Very reactive and responds well to a heavy picking hand) and a super pushed and thick lead channel which is like playing with god mode engaged. They are discontinued and I use mine as a preamp integrated into my live rig. They might still crop up on Ebay but they are otherwise discontinued. I really wish I knew just how they worked and how much gain came from the tube and whether the rest was FET based or if there are diodes and op amps.

People seem to really love the AMT pedals. They copy the preamp layouts of many boutique tube amplifiers with FETs in place of the tubes, have built in clean channels modelled after a fender to use straight into the power section or effects return of an amp, a direct cab simulated out and can be used traditionally on a clean amp bypassing the built in clean mode. The series one versions of these allowed you to get the Vox or Fender based pedals as your clean preamp sound and then slave the footswitch into your high gain model box of choice and have a custom two channel setup right at your feet. They have some sweet floor based preamps too.

Some even tube driven but I hear the solid state versions are great for modern stuff. Also worth checking out is the stonehead. It is a solid state amp no bigger than a few Boss stomp boxes, lightweight, plenty of channels and surprisingly loud.

The Biyang metal end is an oddity. Very affordable and very adjustable.

People rave about the Emma Electronic PisdiYAUwot Metal as staying super tight and musical under a lot of gain.

The ISP Theta while pricey is a real gainiac with an in built decimator to control all that gain and the ability to run a built in preamp to boost the onboard gain. Probably has the most gain out of any preamp ever.

Elevate your performance with ISP Technologies' cutting-edge Pro Audio gear, including the groundbreaking Decimator guitar pedal, speakers, amplifiers, and effect processors. Experience unmatched sound clarity and control for musicians and sound engineers worldwide.

Honourable mentions include the Mooer solo distortion or the Mooer cruncher (which is a very convincing MI crunchbox copy if you like that cranked plexi sound that takes up barely any real-estate on your pedalboard).

Steer clear of metal pedals with scoop buttons because they seem as though they were designed by people who don't know much about guitar tone in a band setting.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
            Here's my rundown on some dirt boxes and floor preamps that I find to do very well

The Blackstar HT-Blackfire is pretty much the ultimate modern metal pedal with two modes, one being a tube like hi-gain metal rhythm sound (80s and beyond; clear, spongy and saturated with just enough sag going on. Very reactive and responds well to a heavy picking hand) and a super pushed and thick lead channel which is like playing with god mode engaged. They are discontinued and I use mine as a preamp integrated into my live rig. They might still crop up on Ebay but they are otherwise discontinued. I really wish I knew just how they worked and how much gain came from the tube and whether the rest was FET based or if there are diodes and op amps.
            That sounds like an awesome pedal, none on eBay currently lol

Comment

Your search ends...

here..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I found a solution! I managed to tweak my amp to sound more like Metallica!

Do you have any book that you can recommend that will help me learn music theory,i am a beginner?

Thanks!

Comment

The thing that will help you most as a guitar player is one on one lessons with a quality teacher. I could never have learned from just a book.

Yes, a better amp will make you much more happy than buying a pedal. Especially if you take playing seriously, it's more than worth it.

And try not to chase anybody's tone but your own

Comment

Now that we've covered good metal pedals, what are some good plastic pedals?
                    Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                      Now that we've covered good metal pedals, what are some good plastic pedals?
                      The Behringer HM300 is a plastic alternative to the Boss HM-2.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

the hardwire metal distortion and the mxr super badass distortion will get you solid metallica like tones
                        Quality riffs in about a minute...
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Working...
                        X