Pedal Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Order

Just curious, how do you all order [placement order] your pedals?

I currently have been going Guitar to Volume Pedal to Dirt Boxes to Chorus Pedal to Amp. I now have 2 overdrives and 2 high gain pedals, any suggestions on how to order them?

Currently my setup includes Ernie Ball VP Jr. VP, Mad Professor Golden Cello and Stone Grey Distortion, MXR Analog Chorus, Suhr Riot and Shiba Drive going through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (with an Eminence Legend Speaker FWIW.) I have a ProCo Rat and ProCo Solo that are awesome but those two pair great together as a rhythm and lead combo but don't necessarily want them in the chain with the others.
    Last edited by treyhaislip; 07-31-2015, 12:42 PM. Reason: Edit: Placement Order not Buying Order :D

Re: Pedal Order

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    Just curious, how do you all order your pedals?

I currently have been going Guitar to Volume Pedal to Dirt Boxes to Chorus Pedal to Amp. I now have 2 overdrives and 2 high gain pedals, any suggestions on how to order them?
    I often order mine by calling Musician's Friend and requesting a better price from the CSR than what's posted online.

Honestly, I don't think there is a better way than just trying all the order options until you find the one that works best/yields the sounds and functionality you're after.

The board I am currently building includes two ODs and a Fuzz. Hopefully tonight I'll have an opportunity to try all six possible combinations through a typical range of amp volumes.

I don't currently use a chorus, but when I did I preferred it before the dirt pedals with delay(s) and/or reverb after the ODs and Distortion boxes.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      I often order mine by calling Musician's Friend and requesting a better price from the CSR than what's posted online.
      Ha!

Honestly, I don't think there is a better way than just trying all the order options until you find the one that works best/yields the sounds and functionality you're after.

The board I am currently building includes two ODs and a Fuzz. Hopefully tonight I'll have an opportunity to try all six possible combinations through a typical range of amp volumes.

I don't currently use a chorus, but when I did I preferred it before the dirt pedals with delay(s) and/or reverb after the ODs and Distortion boxes.
      And I would agree on re-organizing until you find what works–thanks!

Comment

Just curious, how do you all order your pedals?

Currently my setup includes Ernie Ball VP Jr. VP, Mad Professor Golden Cello and Stone Grey Distortion, MXR Analog Chorus, Suhr Riot and Shiba Drive going through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (with an Eminence Legend Speaker FWIW.) I have a ProCo Rat and ProCo Solo that are awesome but those two pair great together as a rhythm and lead combo but don't necessarily want them in the chain with the others.

Please excuse me if I misunderstood the question. Your asking advice about the pedal placement order of the pedals on the floor and not how to order them from stores right? Sorry if I sound a bit slow, very little sleep last night, sick babies suck!!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
          Please excuse me if I misunderstood the question. Your asking advice about the pedal placement order of the pedals on the floor and not how to order them from stores right? Sorry if I sound a bit slow, very little sleep last night, sick babies suck!!!!
          Haha! So sorry! I didn't even think of that when I put order

Yes, I meant placement order And no sorries dude, you aren't the first to comment on it

Comment

The lazy answer is "it depends, try them out".

But you didn't post the question to be told that, nor did you post to have someone dictate how your pedals should be ordered.

I seem to run a guitar rig in one of two manners. Either a high gain amp with a few effects, or a clean amp with an enormous number of effects. For my pedals into clean setup I've found that I like wah and volume first, then phase type modulation (Uni-Vibe, Phaser) then overdrive/boost, then time based modulation (chorus, flanger) then Distortion, then delay, then reverb

I like to set the distortion gain a little lower, then boost with the overdrive or boost, giving a more saturated, cutting tone. With two gain pedals I can get light OD, mid level crunch and boosted distortion, all with an easily controlled volume level at the amp. Also, I like delay and reverb after all gain pedals, phase modulation before all gain pedals, but it seems that chorus/flanger after light OD are more "apparent" but before distortion so it isn't over the top jet plane or 80's sheen.

Fuzz goes wherever it plays nicely, and that's very pedal dependent.

I'd start with one distortion and one OD with your amp, and really learn all the tones available, including volume knob manipulation. Try high levels from each box, unity levels, varying gain levels, just really understand how they interact before adding in more pedals.

Good luck and have fun!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              The lazy answer is "it depends, try them out".

But you didn't post the question to be told that, nor did you post to have someone dictate how your pedals should be ordered.

I seem to run a guitar rig in one of two manners. Either a high gain amp with a few effects, or a clean amp with an enormous number of effects. For my pedals into clean setup I've found that I like wah and volume first, then phase type modulation (Uni-Vibe, Phaser) then overdrive/boost, then time based modulation (chorus, flanger) then Distortion, then delay, then reverb

I like to set the distortion gain a little lower, then boost with the overdrive or boost, giving a more saturated, cutting tone. With two gain pedals I can get light OD, mid level crunch and boosted distortion, all with an easily controlled volume level at the amp. Also, I like delay and reverb after all gain pedals, phase modulation before all gain pedals, but it seems that chorus/flanger after light OD are more "apparent" but before distortion so it isn't over the top jet plane or 80's sheen.

Fuzz goes wherever it plays nicely, and that's very pedal dependent.

I'd start with one distortion and one OD with your amp, and really learn all the tones available, including volume knob manipulation. Try high levels from each box, unity levels, varying gain levels, just really understand how they interact before adding in more pedals.

Good luck and have fun!
              Thanks for the info! And I will definitely have fun–between the Riot and the Stone Grey lots of fun to be had! lol

Comment

I would play with it and find out what sounds the best since not every pedal is the same. You'll hear it when it's right. You probbably want your chorus after gain (EVH for example puts it infront of his distorzed amp along with his flanger and phaser). Delays and reverbs should go in fx loop or just before amp in the chain if you have no fx loop. Again, just try everything and to what sounds the best to you.

I sound like lazy guy lol. But there are some "rules" that you have to look at or your tone will suck.
                Last edited by guitarplayer100; 07-31-2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer100 View Post
                  I would play with it and find out what sounds the best since not every pedal is the same. You'll hear it when it's right. You probbably want your chorus after gain (EVH for example puts it infront of his distorzed amp along with his flanger and phaser). Delays and reverbs should go in fx loop or just before amp in the chain if you have no fx loop. Again, just try everything and to what sounds the best to you.
                  The MXR Analog Chorus when at the end of the chain really boosts the signal...really good for the clean tones but not so hot on the gains. lol Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer100 View Post
                    I just want to point out that "Classic" EVH was delay (Echoplex) into gain as well. (Plate reverb added at the desk)
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For the record, I never misunderstood your intent when you asked about ordering pedals. I entertain myself by looking for ways anything might be legitimately misunderstood.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

For the record, I never misunderstood your intent when you asked about ordering pedals. I entertain myself by looking for ways anything might be legitimately misunderstood.
                        Ha! No worries! I find it humorous as well!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang floor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	5788144
                          No pedal order needed with this thing at my feet..
                          sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]65595[/ATTACH]
                            No pedal order needed with this thing at my feet..
                            Ha! I use to use a Line 6 POD and had the pedal board (with Wah and Volume pedal) but found that I really love the tone and response of pedals through a tube amp more than any amp modeling device has been able to conjure up. lol To each his/her own–just personally I love a tube amp.

Comment

The MXR Analog Chorus when at the end of the chain really boosts the signal...really good for the clean tones but not so hot on the gains. lol Thanks!
                              That happens with my Micro Flanger too but it will sound a lot different if you put it before gain and use it with distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X