Suggest me a chorus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Suggest me a chorus

I have an old analog Ibanez CS-505 stereo chorus that I dearly love. I believe the Danelectro "Cool Cat" chorus is a clone of the Ibanez CS-505 (at least the 18V power supply section is).

Comment

One of the best analog choruses ever made...

Comment

My CF7 is dead quiet. Try it with a battery, then make sure you have the correct adapter.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Suggest me a chorus

Got the Lovepedal Butterfly kiss. At first I didn't like it. But once I spent some time learning the controls, I realized it was really well done. I had it next to the Voodoo Labs analog chorus which I already like a lot. Got the both at the same speed and intensity. The tone Knob on the BK has got a very large range of tones in the sweep and a little adjustment goes a long way. Then just hit up the mix Knob to add just what you want. Much more "airy and transparent" than the VL.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            My CF7 is dead quiet. Try it with a battery, then make sure you have the correct adapter.
            Yeah, Im guessing the adapter wasnt compatible. Dead quiet with a battery, but I tried to plug it up and noise city
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ive had this chorus pedal for years and really like it, but the switch is going bad and so its very iffy whether itll come on or not..

Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

What kind of adapter are you using with the CF7? It is a digital pedal so it will draw a lot more current than an analog pedal, so if you are daisy chaining your pedals on a PS that is only rated for 200mA or something, you may be getting near it's limit.

I also mentioned that I've had issues with some of the Digitech digital "7" pedals introducing noise into my chain when daisy chained on the same power supply (I think it was in this thread). They are great pedals, but I have had to run them on separate supplies to keep things quiet.

Comment

I used an adapter straight to the pedal.. no chain... was a boss aca 120.. worked fine with the keeley seafoam plus. figured it would work with the cf7 too.. I could see if it was in a chain or something. perhaps the adapter is the wrong + O - reading.. just trying to rush and its a 9 volt and not one of my 18v, so I figured.. Used the pedal again today with a new battery and its fine. But not going to be able to put it on the board if it doesnt play nice with electricity...
                  Last edited by BloodRose; 08-16-2016, 05:49 PM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The adapter is your problem, the ACA-120 is an old adapter and actually puts out 12V but it's unregulated, as you draw more current, the voltage drops and being unregulated, has quite a bit of noise in it. The old Boss pedals that were made to work with the ACA adapter had a diode in the circuit that dropped the voltage down to 9V before it got to the circuit, it also probably got rid of a lot of the noise. Those old pedals were also analog and drew less than 10mA, probably more like 5mA each.

The ACA is also only rated at 250mA (edit, some are rated 200mA). The Keeley pedal draws less than 65mA (from the instructions), and is probably built to deal with more than 9V although it does call out a 9V adapter.

I couldn't find what the current draw was for the CF7, but I'm sure it is well over 100mA, lots of computer-y stuff going on inside. The digital stuff can also create noise on the power lines and since the ACA is unregulated, the power will get noisier.

FWIW, if the + and - had been reversed, it wouldn't have worked at all, and could have fried the pedal, so that's not the problem.

I always ran the Digitech pedals off of a OneSpot or a Modtone Power Plant with isolated outputs.

Sorry for the long post, but, it's not you, it's your power... I'm guessing if you tried a newer 9V OD/Distortion pedal on the ACA it will be really noisy, especially when it is on.
                    Last edited by devastone; 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Did you get a chance to try the CF7 with a different adapter?

Comment

thanks for the info! yeah, thats what i figured. No, havent yet. will try to dig up some other adapters later today. played with it again last night thru my lil headphone amp before bed with a battery in it, and it was fine

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          thanks for the info! yeah, thats what i figured. No, havent yet. will try to dig up some other adapters later today. played with it again last night thru my lil headphone amp before bed with a battery in it, and it was fine
                          Tried it today with a onespot adapter. whisper quiet. what I figured., Again, funny thing... with the CF7, I find the setting I like best is the boss CE5 (i think it is). What makes that so amusing is the Boss CE5 is what I have on my board..

Anyhow, tween the digitech CF7 and the Keeley Seafoam plus, Im very pleased with my chorus tones... I still want to try the new Duncan Catalina pedal. One day when all my projects are done and I get some of these medical bills caught up, Im def going to get a Retro Sonic Chorus. Its pricey, but it is VERY close to the orig Boss chorus pedal. (see below) But for now, my chorus need is filled.
                          Now just have to get the right Delay....

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I liked the TC Chorus/Flange setting a lot too, mostly on the chorus setting.

Hard to go wrong with the TC Flashback for delay, especially for in the loop. The Digitech Hardwire delay is nice too.

Comment

Doh!!! Yeah, I keep meaning to try that... I NEED to try running em in the loop before I rule em out. I have a hardwire and CC. probably make a huge diff in the loop.. Id rather not spend anymore money..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I thought you meant you were looking for a delay, you have 2 great delays. The Hardwire will work great in the loop. The CC can is instrument level only, so depends on how hot the fx loop is.

Comment

Working...
                                X