New Echo Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Echo Day

Pulled the trigger on a Fulltone SSTE. (Solid State Tube Echo)

It's impressive. Dead quiet with the exception of the tape cartridge but even that's minimal.

Much smaller than an Echoplex.

Based on an EP-3 so you can chose from that preamp to a more full spectrum tone preamp.

Has two voicings: (bright and vintage)

On the negative side, the tape used is not interchangeable with my older echoplexs.

Has a record level which is very handy. One of the complaints I have with the Catalinbread Belle Epoch is how easily humbuckers can over saturate.

The SSTE allows you full control over the input record signal.

Great effort. Had some bugs early on but seems to have been corrected. I'm just under the 300th solids state unit made based on serial number.

I got notified on Fuller's email updates he has a few Blemished units for sale. I can't see any physical defects. Perhaps this is his way of having a "sale".

Good unit that's a quiet as a mouse fart

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: New Echo Day

Scott….let's don't turn this into an episode of "Tape-Echo Intervention"

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

compared to the echoplex, hows the sound?

Comment

New Echo Day

Let me get some more hours on it. The EP-2 is warmer overall. The SSTE gets warmer when you go from Ep-3 mode to "full" mode. The EP-3 preamp has a few less lows and more highs overall.

But as far as overall construction and noise issues, this new model is way ahead of the old tube model from the 60's.

However it's really an apples to oranges comparison. A better comparison would require a refurbished EP-3 or a Fulltone TTE.

Also the Fulltone only has 20 seconds of tape in the loop. That cuts down on wow and flutter a lot.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Hey brother, congrats. The SSTEs are nice! I love big pieces of hardware! FWIW, the Belle Epoch (being that it is a boost pedal and an echo) has an internal gain/trim pot for gain/volume. If you dial it back a bit those humbuckers will clean up and you don't lose any single coil warmth. 18v helps, but the internal controls really put you in charge. Cheers, RG
          Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

nice tip rodney, thanks.

think you can do some side by side clips scott?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
              Hey brother, congrats. The SSTEs are nice! I love big pieces of hardware! FWIW, the Belle Epoch (being that it is a boost pedal and an echo) has an internal gain/trim pot for gain/volume. If you dial it back a bit those humbuckers will clean up and you don't lose any single coil warmth. 18v helps, but the internal controls really put you in charge. Cheers, RG
              This.

18v.

AND BE CAREFUL ADJUSTING THE TRIMPOT. Its teeny and make sure you have the exact size screwdriver they recommend. I adjusted a few times per the manual, but one day I was in a rush, slipped using the wrong screwdriver and dinged something/messed up the pot and effed my unit up. It just howls now when I turn it on.

It will affect your levels quite a bit though when you stomp on it if you adjust from stock..either way.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Nice

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Drools.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                    After I got the real 65 EP-2, I sent the BE back.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

If anyone is interested in buying my 1969 era EP-2, I'm refurbishing it right now.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Uh cool!

Comment

Scott, 6 months later which echo units are you using?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

All three tape (2 ep2 and fulltone SSTE) plus vapor trails plus Boonar.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Nice.
                              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                              X