banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truetone Jeckyl & Hyde V3 - HOLY SNOT BALLS BATMAN!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truetone Jeckyl & Hyde V3 - HOLY SNOT BALLS BATMAN!!!

Traded a V2 series Son of Hyde and a Japanese Boss Turbo Overdrive and financed the difference to get a start on rebuilding my credit after a bankruptcy a few years ago.

I'm blown away by this pedal. It actually sounds like the Truetone made demos. Even more surprising, it matches my amp's own dirty tone quite well... Like having 2 more amp channels. Distortion sounds like my amp but with a to be more dirt (impressive since the Rebel 30 is already considered a high gain amp). Sound I got with dirty channel and Hyde side together reminded me of Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains' Dirt album.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	5841350

With this and the other dirt pedals on my board, I think I pretty well have all my bases covered. Other than a Big Muff and maybe a Fuzz Face, I'm not interested in much else. Now to start the process of figuring out the best placement on the board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	5841351

Re: Truetone Jeckyl & Hyde V3 - HOLY SNOT BALLS BATMAN!!!

So how versatily you think it is? Is Jeckyl+Hyde just a rythm+lead or can the Hyde also be used as high gain rythm? What generes you think you can play using in the front end of a clean channels? Do you play strats, les pauls, superstrats?
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      So how versatily you think it is? Is Jeckyl+Hyde just a rythm+lead or can the Hyde also be used as high gain rythm? What generes you think you can play using in the front end of a clean channels? Do you play strats, les pauls, superstrats?
      I haven't had much chance to really experiment with it, but it is pretty versatile. You can use either distortion or overdrive by themselves, or use them together. They each have their own input and output for each circuit so can change the order of the circuits, insert other pedals between the circuits, run just one, or with a bypass looper/pedal switcher you can assign each circuit individually (you can program banks of effects with either circuit or both at a single button press with a programmable switcher).

As for sounds, it works great both with the clean and dirty channels. Overdrive is not necessarily a tubescreamer but can go from clean boost to transparent overdrive (to me it seems pretty transparent at least) to a sort of tube screamer type tone (mid bump). I can see this working well for softer rock, blues, or classic rock by itself on the clean channel or to boost a dirty amp over the edge.

Distortion side has two modes. "A" is similar to the classic Hyde distortion of the older versions, "B" is a newer sound. Goes from late 70's dirt to modern high gain.

Internally, there are switches to turn the buffers (one on each circuit) on and off so you can have eith buffered or true bypass as well as choose where the buffer is placed in the signal path (overdrive, distortion or both). Same with the noise reduction circuit.

As for what guitars I'm using, I have 2 Gibson SG's and a Strat. So far I've only tried it with my 1973 SG Standard. The other SG is on the work bench waiting for me to finish a pickup swap.

Truetone have upped their game. They've looked at what people disliked, what people liked and what people wished they had in their older pedals and have added a lot of improvements and new features.

Comment

Thanks, I have an H2O v3 myself and like it so far, that made me put attention to other pedals by Trutone.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I have owned almost every V2 series one and a couple of the original versions. They're one of my favorite pedal makers.

This is my first V3 series. I'm thinking if going after the V3 H2O or trying to find a used Dual Tap Delay next. Or maybe a Route 66.

Comment

Actually, the Overdrive on these is basically a Tubescreamer plus the bass switch and if i remember correctly the Distortion is an old Marshall pedal, but i don't remember which one. Not saying that to bash it. These pedals are awesome and i know a lot of working musicians who swear by them.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The current version has moved away from the Tube Screamer based design to something else. It more closely resembles their Open Road now but with a few new features added like a bass knob and clean mix knob.

I really loved the TS-808 based design though. More clean boost available on the volume knob than a real TS and more dirt on tap too.

Comment

The distortion side is still based on the 80's/90's era Marshall Shredmaster though.

Comment

Other Truetone pedals - HOLY SNOT BALLS BATMAN!!!

Truetone has two other pedals worth mentioning.

Have both the V2 and V3 H20s. Thee V3 is a significant improvement over the V2.

Bought a Jekyll and Hyde awhile back and realized that I was staying on the distortion side with the gain tuned down and using the OD side as a boost. So, I tried their OD pedal. The left side is open and the right side can be compressed. This is a great alternative to my Fulldrive 2 when I want different OD flavors.
                  Attached Files
                  That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                  And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

The H2O is great. I have the V2 version. I'm also considering the V3 Route 66. At first I thought the OD was the same as the J&H but it's got a different feature set. I'm wondering if the OD's on each of these pedals is opposite sides of the VSXO? ...but then I noticed these OD's are not laid out identical to either the J&H or the R66 ones.

It makes me wonder if there is enough difference in their voicings to make it worth buying the VSXO if you already own the other two.

Comment

How does that sweet parquet affect the tone?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        How does that sweet parquet affect the tone?
                        I don't think it really does much. It's vinyl stick on tile. One of these days I'd like to pull it all up and refinish the hardwood flooring underneath.

Comment

I don't hear the open road pedal in any of the v3 stuff. Its still the 808 circuit but refined/modded. The XO has the drivetrain on the left side with little less mids, while the right is the 808 with bunch of modern options added like clipping choice & the clean mix knob. Actually they might be using a modded chainsaw circuit there instead of the drivetrain, that was a nice sounding mid gain od pedal poorly named though, similar level of bass as the open road but tighter and with a more open midrange than the drivetrain. Shame they discontinued all the garagetone lineup, some of those were great, would love the phaser & tremolo introduced in the v3 package. Even the fuzz & open road are gone, would have loved to add the fuzz to my collection.

I love that they ditched the v2 shape, its more practical now & not toyish with the v3 edition.

Comment

Working...
                          X