Fuzz Pedal - Iron Butterfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuzz Pedal - Iron Butterfly

Thanks. I wondered if it might have been an amp distortion effect, but wasn't sure if he was using solid-state Vox, Kustom or Acoustic Control amps.

Like I originally posted, the EHX Satisfaction pedal got that tone. A lot of fuzz boxes are just too nice sounding...I like the nasty!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I love that gritty Norman Greenbaum/Iron Butterfly type of fuzz. I got the Morley Fuzz and finally I am in the ball park of that tone.

Comment

Originally posted by BVC View Post
        Hi everyone on this page! So sorry, I'm YEARS behind any kind of "current answer" on the Big Question of Erik Braunn's "fuzz box," but I just found this page with so many suppositions and questions, and fwiw, have a definitive answer for you. Some of you may find it surprising, some disappointing, and maybe some not. I was a huge Iron Butterfly/Erik Braunn fan after they came out with "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which I purchased solely on the basis of the front cover photo featuring that backline of Vox Super-Beatle amps (w a couple of Marshalls) across the stage. Had never heard 'em, nor OF 'em, but being a huge Vox fan (from The Beatles, of course, still AM... have 6 Vox amps now), that was enough to listen. Of course, I LOVED the record. Not too long after, I was able to buy my own Super-Beatle amp (which I still have, and it's still pretty clean, too, even after much dragging around to shows for many years!) and eventually a Mosrite "Ventures model" guitar. My band played "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" for a couple of years, and I saw Butterfly perform it, as well, many times. Very simple: plugging straight into the amp's Brilliant channel, or bridging Brilliant and Normal channels, and using the distinctive internal Vox Super-Beatle distortion IS the sound of Erik B. and Iron Butterfly. It's less the guitar, too, than just the amp. I got basically the same sound with the guitar I used before the Mosrite, too. I guess I had a Vox wah-wah and a couple other irrelevant things, but THAT was the definitive, super-raspy Butterfly distortion. Turn off the distortion and you get the clean, clear sound someone had remarked on as well. (Listening thru headphones, I believe you can actually hear EB clicking the footswitch [on left side], picked up by his amp mic!) I could fire it up right now and it would sound the same. Long time coming, but that's the answer. I hope it reaches SOMEONE! Please let me know, eh?
        Cheers!
        Wow, welcome to the forum, and very cool awesome first post!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X