• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free the Tone build your own Patch cable kit

Hello everyone,
    Anyone try these out?

Re: Free the Tone build your own Patch cable kit

No, but they seem to make a quality product.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I don't have experience with them, but there is an amazing array of solderless cables now. Check them all out before committing to a system since they are so expensive...
      Incomplete list:
      George L's
      Planet Waves
      Lava (3 systems)
      Evidence Audio (2 systems)
      Free the Tone
      Disaster Area
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I currently have the Planet Waves Kit well kits. I have the older kit with the larger ends and the newer one with the smaller ends.
        They work nicely but tend to darken up your tone just a bit when you start using a lot of Planet waves cables. I found the Mogami Patch cords to sound way better and they are much longer. I wish Mogami would make a solder less kit. They told me that those style of kits go bad over time and are not the ideal for max tone so they don't make one. I find that bull crap as many wire companies use solder less connections and when done right can last a lifetime. Audioquest is one of them as I have cables I build for home audio going on 12 years old and they are perfect fine and sound as good as new ones do. So it's all about the quality of connector and keeping air out. Mogami should be able to do such as Audioquest does.

The Free the Tone seem very nice just no one carries them around me to check them out. I would have to order online which is fine I guess but I was just looking to hear from some people who have them to give me the pro's and cons.

Thanks for the list dude.

Comment

I look forward to your review if you pull the trigger.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Solderless cables remind me of the Snap-Tite models I built as a kid. Once I was ready for glue, my models started looking and holding up better.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              I look forward to your review if you pull the trigger.
              If I find it around, I'm gonna buy it. I might just order it online and test drive it. I'm all about testing and cables are a huge part of ones rig.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Solderless cables remind me of the Snap-Tite models I built as a kid. Once I was ready for glue, my models started looking and holding up better.
                I get what your saying but it's not like that. Solderless has been around for a very long time and there is no need for it when solder less is done correctly. The Planet Waves minus the darker tone go together perfectly and test out good every single time.

Comment

I just buy quality cable and ends, then solder them myself. I've witnessed way too many failures of solderless cables to trust them, and it's not all that much work to make them. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that have never had a problem, but I just prefer to eliminate as many potential issues as possible.

Comment

I used lava cables for a while but the suckers kept on letting me down at gigs. Ive since reverted to buying quality cable and ends and soldering them.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                      I just buy quality cable and ends, then solder them myself. I've witnessed way too many failures of solderless cables to trust them, and it's not all that much work to make them. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that have never had a problem, but I just prefer to eliminate as many potential issues as possible.
                      Thats never a bad approach and if you have soldering skills, why not use them right? Nothing worse then a bad patch cable on a board with 10 pedals.

Comment

I've used George L's, Planet Waves, and Lava solderless kits. Of them, George Ls were my favorite.

That said, I believe my sound and confidence are both improved since I started using high quality cables with high quality soldered connectors. The added benefit is that I get to play with tools.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I rarely read reviews of solderless cables that are glowingly positive. Most of what I read are not favorable.

I equate them to the damn yard lights we had years ago that had these connectors that pushed two little pointy copper shivs into the big cable. They could be a royal PITA.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've had positive experiences with the Bill Lawrence solderless cables- don't know if they are available anymore. George L's always vibrated loose on me. Let us know how the Free the Tone ones are...I am curious, too.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X