No announcement yet.

Factory Reset Roland GP-8 via PC/MAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Factory Reset Roland GP-8 via PC/MAC?

Been looking into MIDI Quest. Don't know if I wanna shell out 150.00 for just the GP8 yet. Know of any alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I would try and see if you can send a program change (a very simple midi message) to the GP-8 from your computer or another controller. It will let you know if the Midi In is working.

Ahhhhh. I have a "Midi Buddy" coming in for my ADA this Saturday. When it gets here, I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by revolution View Post
        Been looking into MIDI Quest. Don't know if I wanna shell out 150.00 for just the GP8 yet. Know of any alternatives?
        Is MidiQuest an editor? I would just learn to program from the front panel. I can't imagine paying that much for an editor- things like that are included free with modern devices. Maybe someone on some forum created an editor specifically for it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is MidiQuest an editor? I would just learn to program from the front panel. I can't imagine paying that much for an editor- things like that are included free with modern devices. Maybe someone on some forum created an editor specifically for it.

Right? Look at this guy...he makes it look easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9kjaQFEYM

And yes, MQ is an editor.

Edit: UPDATE! The MIDI in of the GP-8 works!! I just used a MIDI Buddy to send simple control commands and it worked. So, now, I am either doing something wrong with the software or my USB-MIDI cable is half-bad, but my cable will send MIDI info to a computer just fine (MIDI OUT to USB) as I use it to trigger drums and keys on GBand and Mainstage. I think I am not using the midi software correctly. I don't even know how to change the MIDI number on SendSX, so maybe I am doing something wrong there.
          Last edited by revolution; 03-03-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

The next step is to check the OUT of the midi/USB cable. Try to send a program change from within a DAW to any midi device and see if it works.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The next step is to check the OUT of the midi/USB cable. Try to send a program change from within a DAW to any midi device and see if it works.

Yes! Testing that tonight...thanks again!

Comment

At the bottom of a Roland download file is a txt file that has this to say about the GP8. The file can be found on the Roland website.

Loading Instructions for the GP-8 Guitar Effects Processor
                1) Make certain that the toggle switch on the back of the unit is set to MIDI.
                2) Press the MIDI button so that the display reads)[MIDI CHANNEL / CHANNEL = ?].Use the Alpha dial to set the MIDI channel
                to [1].
                3) Play the file in from the MicroComposer, and the LED display will change to [Ld], indicating that the unit is receiving
                sys ex data.

Comment

Yes, true...I got a new cable so that may work!

Comment

I also had this same problem when I tried to load the GP8_ORID.MID file that Roland provides on their site. I inspected the hex values using powershell Format-Hex and found this file does not conform to the sysex standard for the GP8 but it does contain the preset code. I was able to modify the sysex hex commands around each preset and was then able to load my modified file into my GP8 and restored all presets. I"ve attached my modified .syx file in case anyone else needs it. It would not let me add a .syx file so I zipped it up.

The process I used for updating is:
                    1. Download MIDI-OX and install on computer with MIDI interface.
                    2. Connect Midi cable from output midi on interface to the GP8 input midi. Setup Midi devices to use your interface for input and output.
                    3. Set switch on GP8 to use MIDI ports.
                    4. Open MIDI-OX. Goto View --> Sysex which will open a sysex window.
                    5. In that window select File --> Send Sysex file. Choose file.
                    6. You should see the GP8 change to 'Ld' on the screen and a file progress bar in the sysexe MIDIOX window.
                    7. Power cycle your GP8 once the 'Ld' is gone and the file progress bar is gone on the computer.
                    8. You should now have all factory presets!

You may want to backup your current presets before doing the restore. This can also be done in MIDI-OX
                    1. Connect your midi cable from the output of the GP8 to the input of your computer interface.
                    2. Open MIDI-OX. Goto View --> Sysex which will open a sysex window.
                    3. In the sysexe window Goto Sysex --> Recieve Manual Dump. The midi-ox program will now wait for data.
                    4. On GP8 you click MIDI button. Move dial to right until you get to Bulk Dump.
                    5. Click value and change to ALL.
                    6. Click MIDI to save.
                    7. Click Write to send. At this point you will see the data streaming in MIDI-OX.
                    8. When MIDI-OX indicates it is done ( about 7552 bytes) then right click on the hex output in the sys ex window and click save as.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by sovtek; 01-23-2023, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Wow...did I post this here? I'm wondering why I would do that on th SD forum. I ended up with a Kemper! Love it! Thanks for all the replies!!

Comment

Working...
                      X