Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss ES-5

Hello all,
    Finally after decades of trying to figure out how to manage my rig, I finally got an ES-5. This is what I needed and never got.

Short Story.
    I picked up a Boss GT-8 back when it came out. I was floored on what it could do amp control etc. Built on volume pedal and so many effects. Shorty after owning it and the excitement wore off, I noticed it changed my amps natural tone.
    So after trying to get it right, I sold it and went back to pedals. Now I feel lost and have to manually control all these pedals and my amp.
    I wrote this sone that required Delay, Chorus and Reverb for clean but then switched to the Drive channel with only Delay. Well that sucked to manage and click all those pedals.
    Boss Released the GT-10 and talked about how improved it was over the GT-8 so I ran out and got one. Yes it was much better then the GT-8, it has an easier way of setting up and man I really liked it for a while. But it still altered my amps natural tone.
    Went back to pedals
    Boss released the GT-100 and talked about the nature sound and now it sounds better then anything they ever built etc etc etc. So what did I do? Ran out and got one.
    This thing is even better then the GT-10 and it didn't alter my amps nature tone that much. It retained it much better then the 8 and 10. But now it adds some fuzzy tone to it and I had a terrible time trying to dial it out. I fought with it for a few years I'd say. Then it finally wore me out and I sold it and yet again went back to pedals.
    Boss Released the MS-3 and I figured FINALLY this is it, this is the product I have been waiting for. I hybrid wired it into my system , I tried the 4 cable method with it as I've been using the 4 cable method since the GT-8 and my volume dropped out and my tone slightly changed, even less then the GT-100 but still did it.
    Talked to Boss about it and they instructed me how to get around it. The delay not carrying over to other patches bothered me so I wired in my Flashback Delay outside the MS-3 and it just stayed on in my effects loop which I also removed from the MS-3 and had the Delay in there by it self.
    I found myself putting Reverb and my Waza Chorus in the loop with it and started using the MS-3 less and less.
    I had the 3 loops with my drive pedals and found I was basically using the MS-3 as a amp switcher. I didn't even use the internal Noise gate as I hybrid wired up my Sentry noise gate.
    After thinking about it, I should have asked for a ES-5 or ES-8. Bam Billie steered me to a thread over at the gear forum and made the swap with a member for a ES-5.

The ES-5 is simply hands down amazing. IT DOES NOT alter my tone at all. You can plug directly into your amp or go through the ES-5 and I hear NO DIFFERENCE. I so love that. Boss built this thing almost perfectly.
    The switching is lighting fast, there is no hard click when you do so, it just goes into the next patch effortlessly.
    It's crazy easy to program and setup, I haven't even used the editor yet which I always have found incredibly useful but I was able to setup 5 patches in minutes as it's that easy from the front controls.

The Only thing I think Boss could have done with the ES-5 to make it better is to have the same Volume effects loop like the ES-8 does. Most people who use pedals probably put the Modulation effects in their effects loops as it just sounds so much better there. You have to lose a Loop to wire in the 4 cable method so you can place effects in front of your amp and ones in the effects loop.
    I have to share 2 loops . Loop 1 I share a Spark Booster and a Dark Matter distortion pedal and have to manually turn on and off which one I want.
    I also have to Share Loop 5 which has my Flashback Delay and Hall of Fame reverb, same thing manual control.

I probably Should consider down the road the ES-8 as it has 8 full loops plus the Volume loop so it really has 9 loops. But for now I'm tickled pink with the ES-5 and don't need to upgrade. I don't use a tone of effects so my board will probably not get any bigger then what it is now. One good thing about the Multi effects units is you get to try out 100's of effects and find the ones useful to you.
    I just use OD Distortion , Chorus , Delay and reverb. I'm good with just them.

Boss ES-5

Congrats!

Pictures or it didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blille; 08-19-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Re: Boss ES-5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	5801288

Comment

Here is the MS-3

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f92.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	5801289

Comment

There you go, Pic's and it happened LOL

Comment

Before either switch I was running just pedals no switcherClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2762.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	5801290

Comment

Rig shot ever earlier LOL. This is the GT-100 before I went back to Pedals.

Name:	IMG_1589.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	5801291

Comment

I can go back even further to the GT-10

Comment

I might even have a pic of when I was just using pedals before the GT's

Comment

Congrats, I figured the ES line would work out for you.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                      I can go back even further to the GT-10[ATTACH=CONFIG]82511[/ATTACH]
                      Ya know what, today(well yesterday now) evening after a long time, I was sitting with the gt10 trying to get some useable direct sounds. The cleans ended up sounding gorgeous with the tone modify-resonator 1 placed after the amp block(clean twin/tweed). Slightly dirty sounds were also acceptable(boss crunch/wildstack). Anything beyond & it sounded pathetic/artificial/digital. Even using a OD/Dist block in front of the clean amps wasn't helping.

That got me thinking, it's about time boss came out with a fx only unit, like the gsystem etc. Basically takeout the digital amp & od section and divert that horsepower towards the rest of the blocks, 'cause face it, the gt100 also wasn't a big improvement in the modelling section. Boss either needs a high end processor or new programmers, even zoom seems to be getting more love with their budget mfxs.

Anyways, glad the es5 works as it should with your rig this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                        Ya know what, today(well yesterday now) evening after a long time, I was sitting with the gt10 trying to get some useable direct sounds. The cleans ended up sounding gorgeous with the tone modify-resonator 1 placed after the amp block(clean twin/tweed). Slightly dirty sounds were also acceptable(boss crunch/wildstack). Anything beyond & it sounded pathetic/artificial/digital. Even using a OD/Dist block in front of the clean amps wasn't helping.

That got me thinking, it's about time boss came out with a fx only unit, like the gsystem etc. Basically takeout the digital amp & od section and divert that horsepower towards the rest of the blocks, 'cause face it, the gt100 also wasn't a big improvement in the modelling section. Boss either needs a high end processor or new programmers, even zoom seems to be getting more love with their budget mfxs.

Anyways, glad the es5 works as it should with your rig this time.
                        Boss from the start up to the Current offerings SUCK at amp modeling. They sound nothing like the originals. I have owned many different amps and none of them in the GT's sound anything like them. Mesa isn't Mesa at all , not even close.

The Effects however they do a decent job.

They absolutely need to come out with a high end processor as they are slipping away in this area. I will never own another Boss Multi effects unit unless they come out with a High end model like Waza or better. I can't stand these things especially the 2 new Models.

The MS-3 is a step in the right direction but they should have poured higher end components into it and try to preserve tone better. The ES-5 does a wonderful job at that.
                        They should really consider using more analog internals and retaining them for as long as possible.
                        I also agree they need some new Programers. I want higher end from them or nothing at all.

Having pedals or having a multi effects unit I want them to sound the same or actually better with the Multi effects as you can eliminate the needs for patch cables and power supplies. Build a Multi effects unit with the Ultimate in clarity and reaction time. Make it so much more then the MS-3. The MS-s as I said is a great step in the right direction, now take off the limitations and go for broke.

Comment

I was never impressed with Boss amp models. You are right, they are years behind what is currently out there. I have found, though, that if you are after new, creative sounds (that doesn't try to sound like a currentl
                          y available amp), you can come up with great stuff, even with old amp modeling. I used a Roland GP-100 for years. It still has good sounds, just don't compare the models to actual amps.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I was never impressed with Boss amp models. You are right, they are years behind what is currently out there. I have found, though, that if you are after new, creative sounds (that doesn't try to sound like a currentl
                            y available amp), you can come up with great stuff, even with old amp modeling. I used a Roland GP-100 for years. It still has good sounds, just don't compare the models to actual amps.
                            Their algos sound like they borrowed them from some synth units & then tweaked a bit before putting them in their guitar processors. The models have sort of odd smoothness & clarity to their distortion that it sounds unusual when compared to real world units. While that can fit in a mix but for standalone practice & stuff, it gets tiring quickly.

Comment

Many people seem really happy with their Boss Katana amps. I'm afraid it takes about 10 years to change the opinion of the average guitar player though. Maybe 20 years for the average forum guitar player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X