Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss ES-5

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
    Their algos sound like they borrowed them from some synth units & then tweaked a bit before putting them in their guitar processors. The models have sort of odd smoothness & clarity to their distortion that it sounds unusual when compared to real world units. While that can fit in a mix but for standalone practice & stuff, it gets tiring quickly.
    Yes! That is exactly right. The Roland company makes some great stuff. The effects on their old units are still really great. I wonder why they lagged so far behind on modeling? I am sure the Katana sounds good in a room, but the demos I have heard still have a little ways to go to get to Helix/Fractal land.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Yes! That is exactly right. The Roland company makes some great stuff. The effects on their old units are still really great. I wonder why they lagged so far behind on modeling? I am sure the Katana sounds good in a room, but the demos I have heard still have a little ways to go to get to Helix/Fractal land.
      I think they keep trying to hit price points instead of building a higher quality unit. I'm willing to bet Boss could build the worlds best Modeling and effects Multi Processors if they felt they could sell them.
      Think about this. The New MS-3 is $399. You get a 3 loop pedal switcher and 100+ effects amp control, Midi etc. All of that for only $399. Now think about if they doubled the quality and charged $699 for the same exact thing just high quality. Would it still sell? I would buy one if it sounded better was more analog and preserved your guitar and amps natural tone and added a dedicated loop for your amps effects loop. That to me would be well worth $699 even $799 would still be fine.
      Think about now much it costs to build a nice pedal board. You can easily spend $2000.00 right? Thats pretty easy to do considering what a nice pedal switcher, cables , and all the effects your gonna want. Why not build a MS-3 like product of much higher quality? I know in my heart once people started using it and it can rival or even sound better then stand alone pedals, they would fly off the shelf.
      The sheer weight of a fully loaded pedal board can get up there. Boss could build a MS-3 like product with no loops other then the loop for your amps effects loop and have all effects built in of the highest quality available and still sell a product like that for like lets say $999.99. Would you buy one IF it sounded as good as stand alone pedals or better? I sure would.
      They could make the front of the switcher pure analog and send everything to the front of the amp in analog for drives OD type stuff even an analog buffer circuit. Then in the effects loop have the option to use analog or digital modulation effects. A built on Matrix switch for a built on volume and express pedals so you can move the volume pedal where you want it in pure analog form low impedance and the expression pedal to be matrix to any effect like OD level or Delay time.

If I worked for Boss I would propose this type of product and market it as the ULTIMATE PEDAL BOARD. I would make a carrying case for it and have it setup as a stage ready board with lights and a bigger more clear high quality screen. Have the case as optional but I'm sure most would use it as I would design it to make the most sense for use at home and on stage.

So who would seriously consider a product like this? What on the market would you say is the closest to something of this caliber?

Comment

I will say, they have great ideas. I would hire a modern industrial designer, though. Roland/Boss products aren't 'pretty' and for a generation brought up on slick phones, and other tech, they are firmly stuck in what passed for modern in 1985.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X