Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on multi effects

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
    I did start from scratch by setting the tuner to bypass and matching the clean sound and level to the bypassed sound then copying that to the first three banks.my plan was to use the GT8 in manual mode with no preamp or cab sims into a Vox MV50 which doesnt have an effects loop But I found i n manual mode on the gt8 there is no good boost so I am forced to use it in patch mode with preamps cause the preamps have a solo boost feature. I can get them sounding pretty good through the front of the amp if the gains are set very low 5-10 range.
    I knew I should have waited for a Zoom G5 to turn up!
    There are 8 assigns available per patch in manual mode for the CTRL pedal & EXP pedal switch or the pedal itself. There are many ways I can think to have a solo boost without using the preamp solo A/B or solo OD feature. Easiest way would be to assign the patch volume level(& patch mids/bass/high) to the Ctrl Pedal(if it's free) or the EXP pedal switch or at the very bottom travel(toe down) position of the EXP pedal such that a little movement towards the heel position returns to normal levels. Actually that last trick is much useful for turning manual mode on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by frostopsy View Post
      Why would I want an "amp sim" and "cab sim" when I already have a great rig?
      Because 10 great rigs.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Then turn them off or get something like the Fractal FX8 or TC G-System which are high end effects only.
        That ship has sailed. I just did the old fashion pedal board. It's much more fun to put together your own setup.

Comment

FX - LESS IS BEST IMHO

Hey Gang :

This forum has taught me a lot about FX and how to use them . I have been playing now 18 years and when I got here to learn I was lost .

I had been playing since , around Oct98/Jan99 when I got my first acoustic nylon then a year later a steel dread , took 3 years to get to a
          decent level of proficiency , on my 4/5 year I got my first every electric a whammer jammer of a guitar , a Godin electric, acoustic electric/midi
          didn't have a clue on how or what to get to be able to get that electric [ TONE ] going not to mention the other two voices it has . The Godin has
          SD Custom Custom's II & III's, it rips serious tone .

To my Godin LGXSA I got for my first modeler , one that had the actual chip set(s) of the Tube Screamer , Univibe , DOD , and other heavy sounding
          FX units , and I learned to use them sparingly and to pay attention to the tone quality I was after before the FX , it being the objective and to stay
          close to it .

It was a Digitech GNX4 and I'd still play it if , it had not been stolen . It was an awesome thing , took me a long while to figure
          what I wanted to replace it with cause they are no longer made

I'm into my 6th. month with my T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X - it hiccup'd , and had to be sent in for a warranty repair , good news was it was only a
          week gone and returned to me fixed from here in so.Cal. to Las Vegas & back - one week turn around 2 caps & a new LED screen later and
          it works well again . I like the 3 year factory warranty it has big time .

I've listened to many T.C. stomps through the years while I had the GNX4 and always liked what I heard , they make good and solid sounding FX
          stomps to be sure . When I got to the final group of modeler's to review the VL3X came closest to the GNX4 . The VL3X has no drum machine like the
          GNX4 , so that's the last link to fill in my solo act .

I had been doing great with the solo act with the GNX4 - when my wife took ill and passed away I was away from the house a lot caring for her , that's
          when lot's of my stuff disappeared . No pity party here man- life goes on . I'm still inspired to play music & am , I just turned 67 .

I love the FX of the fifties tremolo , spring reverb , I have a factory installed original Leslie Spring Reverb in my Polytone Mini Brute , it's killer . I love when
          the new FX first started popping up in the mid to late 60's with fuzz , delay's , chorus , and all that stuff .

Takes a bit of time to realize how to dial these FX in so they don't detract but instead enhance your tone .

EZ :

HR
          Last edited by Hurricane; 09-15-2017, 09:24 PM.
          It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I had some meh experiences with cheap, old multiFX units you don't see around these days, from Zoom and Boss.
            I didn't like them all that much. A friend had a Boss ME-30 and that wasn't too bad if you really went for it and tweaked the presets to your rig.
            The default patches were ridiculous and I think that's a big culprit in the perception most of us have about multiFx units. The damn presets.

Anyway, I bought a used Line 6 M13 early this year for cheap and the damn thing is spectacular. It doesn't do shrill, thin or cheap sounding unless you want it to. And it's nearly 10 years old tech!
            I went from using 5-6 analog pedals to just my M13 into my amp and it's FX loop (4 cable method)

Some FX I don't really use (synths and flanger/phasers), some FX I don't think are that good (EQs, compressors)
            and some models are killer (Rotary Speaker/RAT/TubeScreamer/Boss CE-1/Mu-Tron III/Every freaking Reverb and Delay on it).

I don't know much about other multiFX units, but I have no doubt that more recent units from Boss, Digitech etc. will do just as good a job, not to mention devices like the Helix and the Fractal MultiFX unit (AX8 I think it is?) which are just insane.
            Last edited by Diego; 09-15-2017, 09:38 PM.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Update: Zoom G3n is on the way....

Going in the loop of my Mesa for chorus/delay/verb

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Update: Zoom G3n is on the way....

Going in the loop of my Mesa for chorus/delay/verb
                One of my students just got one. He likes it. You get out what you put into it, as opposed to it sounding wonderful right away. It's design is more of a traditional multi as opposed to something like an M9.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's exactly the one I need. Nothing more, nothing less. I have had multi-fx since ~97. They are ALL what you put into them, and as I have always said - less is more.

Comment

So, it has arrived. I'm already digging the footprint...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      So, it has arrived. I'm already digging the footprint...
                      Dial in a few sounds, and let's hear this thing!

Comment

I see you are familiar with the Boss GT 100, I've been thinking of getting one, seen some demos and it looks user friendly, with quite a few optional sounds. And apparently you can create or input your own from their supply of patches. A couple down sides from what I can see. Do you know if it has a 'pass through' option, I'd like to play acoustic through it and want to keep the clean acoustic sound at times. I saw somewhere a guy said, it does not have a pass through, that even with settings "turned down", it still alters the acoustic sound somewhat. That seems odd, is that true? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by beoj View Post
                          I see you are familiar with the Boss GT 100, I've been thinking of getting one, seen some demos and it looks user friendly, with quite a few optional sounds. And apparently you can create or input your own from their supply of patches. A couple down sides from what I can see. Do you know if it has a 'pass through' option, I'd like to play acoustic through it and want to keep the clean acoustic sound at times. I saw somewhere a guy said, it does not have a pass through, that even with settings "turned down", it still alters the acoustic sound somewhat. That seems odd, is that true? thanks
                          I am not familiar with that unit, but in my experience, Boss units are not true bypass...they are always going through some kind of circuitry or conversion when you are plugged into them.

Comment

I'm a gt100 nut. Its incredible. Not aware of altering acoustic sound. Only negative for me is classic crunch sounds are a bit nasal, scooped mids and took a bit if eq to thicken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                              I'm a gt100 nut. Its incredible. Not aware of altering acoustic sound. Only negative for me is classic crunch sounds are a bit nasal, scooped mids and took a bit if eq to thicken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                              As someone who used the grandfather of all Boss multis for years, the Roland GP-100, I can say all Roland-based units have this inherent sound. It isn't bad, but it is there, and some music can bebefit with it (mine did). You need some serious EQ (or, I did, at least) to make 'normal' guitar sound, but I was very happy with the sounds I got, which were decidedly not 'normal'.

Comment

My Thoughts (cause I matter):

-Not a fan of Multi-FX overall for me, BUT they do have their uses
                                -The cheap ones are usually garbage (I'm looking at you RP's!) BUT for someone starting out it's a great way to figure out what you like before spending a ton of money on your pedalboard just to throw half of it away...however with things like YouTube now this is less of a plus.
                                -The higher end ones do sound great, but I like to twist a few knobs and get playing rather than editing to death. And as someone mentioned before, sometimes the patch volume changes can be drastic, and changing say the send level on your preamp will change how it sounds etc. Lot's of potential gain staging headaches.
                                -If you need lots of sounds on a small footprint, it's great.

For my needs (hard rock, metal most of the time) a small pedal-board, good guitar and amp and I'm golden. If I was in some tribute or cover band where I needed lots of different sounds, I'd probably go grab myself an Axe-FX or Kemper or similar.
                                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X