• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueman335
    replied
    Re: Favorite wah

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I'm gonna try to make it out to Music Go Round next week. They have a Vox 847 for $50.

They're easy to wire for true bypass (lots of online instruction); are you going to do that?

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I'm gonna try to make it out to Music Go Round next week. They have a Vox 847 for $50.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

These days, I honestly wouldn't ever recommend a "specific" Wah. 535Q is the way to go for new Wah users

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied

I’ve never been a big user of Wah pedals but I got a Dunlop McCoy last year and sold my Teese Wizard and Area 51. It just sounds how I expect a Wah to sound.... whatever the hell that is I still don’t know but it does?

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    replied

I like the sound of the original Crybaby (stock).. noise & all..

I also like the sound of the Rocktron Black Cat Moan (with & without the 'moan' engaged )

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    First pedal I ever bought was a late 70's Thomas Organ CryBaby for $65.
    I have an earlier Stereo/Volume/Fuzz/Wah that I LOVE. It is instant Hendrix.

That said - I really really like my Weeping Demon. Took me a while to get into the rocker action, but now I really dig it. Still prefer my Thomas Organ Co though....

Leave a comment:

• Wishbone Ash
    replied

I used a lot of different wahs and when I got my Fulltone Clyde, I was satisfied and have used it ever since. Great quality construction, great sweep and great tone!

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Does the Cantrell wah sound like the AIC song "Grind"?
    You probably know this, but there's a lot more than just the wah going on there.

Does the Cantrell wah sound like Grind? On it's own, no.

Could it be used as part of the chain to create Grind? Yes, I think so.

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Not all advertising is hype. Some of these boutique builders are real geeks that deliver the goods.

True, there are a number of very sharp guys today building wahs, that are doing incredible things, whether it's recreating the best of the original wahs, making them more versatile, or coming up new ideas altogether. Like you, I got away from wahs for decades, and last year after listening to a lot of Hendrix, I decided I needed to get a good wah or two. I was blown away by what's being built now, and how many guys are modding theirs to dial in the precise sounds they want, just like we're doing with pickups. This is the best time ever for wahs. There's a whole range of high-quality expensive ones, but there's a lot of pretty good ones that are more affordable too, and some them can easily be modded. GCB-95's and 845's/847's are an artist's palette to create with. You can turn those into anything you want.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

First pedal I ever bought was a late 70's Thomas Organ CryBaby for $65. I thought I found a screamin deal on a secret holy Hendrix grail. But it was noisy and sounded awful. It didn't sound like any record I'd ever heard. I swore off ever wanting or needing a wah for decades.

Years later I needed a wah for a recording session. I ponied up the money for a Fulltone Clyde, convinced I was wasting my money and regretting it wholly before I even put the money down. When I plugged it in and heard it back, it was like James Brown's gold cape had been thrown over me and I was the king of all things funk and wah. It sounded like every record I'd ever heard with wah on it.

I learned you get what you pay for. Not all advertising is hype. Some of these boutique builders are real geeks that deliver the goods.

Leave a comment:

• Boogie Bill
    replied

I have three wahs at the moment.

The Crybaby Classic is my "jam bag" pedal (for when I don't want to take my full pedalboard.) I think it is a good all-around pedal, definitely a step above the basic model.

I also have a VOX Clyde McCoy Reissue. It is very clean and clear, making it perfect for funk rhythms ala "Shaft".

But neither one has replaced my 1972 Thomas Organ Crybaby on my pedalboard. Terry Kath of Chicago was one of the best with a wah, and this one really captures his gritty tone. Maybe it's the DOD boost in front of it, maybe it because I have it wired to a power supply using a battery clip adaptor, or maybe it's just that I've had it for so long...but this one has that sound.

If only I had Terry's speed in my fingers. (sigh!)

Bill

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
    My favourite is the Cantrell wah. Has a nice midrange with a narrow sweep... never gets too trebly or too bassy.
    Does the Cantrell wah sound like the AIC song "Grind"?

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

I'm a big fan of Teese. My RMC3 more tuning options than the Dunlops, true bypass, Fuzz Friendly output buffer so you can actually use it with fuzz and it drives high gain well. You can go as throaty as a Bass wah, Hendrix Wah or Cantrell wah and as bright as you want.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

My favourite is the Cantrell wah. Has a nice midrange with a narrow sweep... never gets too trebly or too bassy.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

The Dunlop website has a chart listing all of their wah offerings in a nice and easy to compare chart.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X