banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest distortion pedal that can plausibly replace amp gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheapest distortion pedal that can plausibly replace amp gain?

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Im sure you mean that the other way round
    the Riot is a clone of the Screamer

the Green Joyo Vintage drive is a clone of the Screamer
    the Ultimate Drive by Joyo is supposed to be similar to the OCD
    Sorry, I wasn’t very clear there. The Tube Screamer can tighten up the Joyo US Dream. The US Dream is a clone of the Suhr Riot without the toggle switch, which might make the original Suhr pedal more versatile and more useful to the OP. Not sure what the Riot is based on—a Marshall Guv’ner, maybe?

I’ve never played the Joyo Tube Screamer clone, but I do like my Digitech Bad Monkey, which is very much in the Tube Screamer ballpark but with a bass knob.

Comment

The Bad Monkey is crazy expensive now that they stopped production

I liked the 808 much better than the ts9
      SD 805 is an 808 with extra knobs, right

Again crazy expensive
      Not at all " cheapest "

Joyo , Biyang, etc are going to be cheapest
      Biyang makes a distortion with swappable chips for different flavors of distortion
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have to laugh. The "bad monkey" was one of those pedals that they had 1000's in stock at like 29 bucks. Now you are saying they are some kinda rare vintage thing?

(however, I could see the benefit of the bass knob)

I want a time machine. I want to go back to before all this nonsense became so wildly popular, get a thousand of them, store 'em, sell them in this time and buy my own island.

Comment

Google one

I had one on my Amazon wishlist till they were discontinued
          Then used ones showed up at 89 bucks
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

That's just crazy to me. But then again, the "bass knob" does seem to have some extra value.

I remember many eons ago, there was an ibanez (multi pedal) that had a chorus setting that was very desirable and being bummed that people would pay mad-cash for one (like 20 years ago) and now it's like, please, 400+ for the boss "fender" reverb, stop it!

Comment

I bought my Bad Monkey from a pawn shop a few years ago for $20--I talked them down from $25. It's good to know that was a wise investment.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                now it's like, please, 400+ for the boss "fender" reverb, stop it!
                I saw that listing and thought the price was insanely high. A quick eBay search shows recently completed listings in the $180-200 range. I guess the $80 I paid about 6 months ago was a good investment. And to think I almost passed on it.

If I wanted that sound today, I'd drop $250 on a Strymon Flint instead.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                X