banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a higher gain overdrive pedal (MXR sized)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a higher gain overdrive pedal (MXR sized)

The current version of my pedal board is using a Road Rage loop switcher to give me a clean and drive sound into a clean-ish single channel amplifier. The current OD I am using is the Xotic BB preamp. I am looking for something with just a little more gain. The only caveat is that it has to be MXR/BOSS sized because the board (Pedaltrain Nano) is full.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Need a higher gain overdrive pedal (MXR sized)

Freidman BE-od, Fantastic od pedal, Highly recommend
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
    Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
    Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
    Jackson dx10d
    DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
    MXR Carbon Copy
    MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Thanks, I will check them out!

Comment

MXR Badass 78? If it has to MXR sized...
        Boss OD3? Highly underrated and Boss sized, obviously...

I am also endorsing the Ibanez SD9m on it's lower gain and mod settings for a higher gain OD these days
        Last edited by Aceman; 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Check out the Andy Timmons Signature @ pedal, I think it's JHS. I saw him last year, and he was using it into a Mesa LoneStar. Sounded great.

Fulltone has some nice products, too.

Bill
          Last edited by Boogie Bill; 01-13-2018, 05:02 PM.
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Marshall jack hammer, or roll your own.

Comment

Waza Craft SD-1W. Oh yeah baby, asymmetrical clipping and all that jazz, and only $149 - REAL good tone... and you're talking to a boutique overdrive snob collector. If you can afford just a little bit more room, then forget what anyone else said and get the Xotic BB+. It's a relatively small pedal, but a little bigger than a Boss. You like the BB, need just a little more gain, but the BB+ is SO dang good it will blow your mind. You can control compression and you can blend the boost and the overdrive for a terrific range of gain. It's relatively simple, but with enough control to plug into any amp and get exactly what you want. It's one of the best pedals there are PERIOD.
              Last edited by SavageRiffer; 01-13-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                MXR Badass 78?
                Totally forgot about this one; I remember really liking the clips I heard of that pedal -- will have to re visit it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                  Check out the Andy Timmons Signature @ pedal, I think it's JHS.
                  Do you know how much gain it has on tap? My amp is fairly clean so I need a medium to high gain option. I will check it out ...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
                    Marshall jack hammer, or roll your own.
                    I have zero building skills or desire; I am strictly a player. But thanks for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by SavageRiffer View Post
                      Waza Craft SD-1W. Oh yeah baby, asymmetrical clipping and all that jazz, and only $149 - REAL good tone...
                      I will check it out, thanks!

get the Xotic BB+
                      If I had the room, I would probably go with this or the D&M Drive. The BB Preamp is my favourite overdrive, but the board is PACKED so it has to be strictly single-sized.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57534DFF-9ACC-4A1F-B8CD-C82ED37FD478.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	5804861

Comment

Might I suggest....and I know this will sound crazy....

A bigger board?
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

No can do, unfortunately. I have to carry my guitar, pedal board, synths, sequencer, and backpack on the subway.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                            I will check it out, thanks!
                            Oh yeah, you won't be disappointed with the Waza Craft SD-1W. It has a real appealing flavor and just the way it way it interacts with your amp and signal chain, and it has a natural touch response. It's not a lot more gain than the BB, but a little bit more. Here's the deal though...

There is a mini toggle switch that sets it in classic mode and in modded mode. I've been through so many BOSS pedals, owned all the Waza Craft and love them all, but the SD-1W is my favorite. I was fawning over my Waza BD-1W for the past year. Then finally took the SD-1W for a spin and was an easy decision to replace the BD-1W. Not that it's better, I just like it overall and it either has a tad bit more gain or feels like it does. It's just a really friendly pedal. It doesn't sound fuzzy, and it doesn't have a muddy asymmetrical clipping like some boutique pedals.

You can stack it with a real clean, transparent boost. What that does is let you use a clean, single channel amp more flexibly. Just leave the transparent clean boost on all the time so when you're playing clean, it's got more balls and cuts through and can match the level of your drive volume. Then when you click the SD-1W on, it adds a little more gain to the SD-W, so you basically switch on and off the SD-1W like you're clicking between a clean and dirty channel. So far, I've really liked my Klon KTR, Fulltone Fulldrive, Keeley Java Boost. and Maxon OD820 for pure clean boosts to to with the SD-1W (and yeah, the OD820 has an amazing clean boost built in. You just leave the gain at 0).

Two more positive things I can tell you about it. I hate pedals that don't blend too well with your amp gain. I really love the BB and BB+, but sometimes it takes a little work to get it mixing in my signal the way I like my distortion to sound. When the blend the left and right side of the BB+ at higher gain settings, it's a little tricky to get the right mix. What I hate is when you can hear kind of a transparent signal riding your distortion. I like it to be mixed all in so it sounds like it's saturating the signal. The SD-1W mixes so well. It's no problem to work with.

Lastly, there are some BOSS pedals I just hate like the DS-1 and the Metal Zone. Some of the BOSS pedals have a sucky bypass. I bought one of those cool looking anniversary editions of the DS-1 and the bypass was poor. You could hear it and it feel it even with the pedal bypassed. It has a cruddy bright edge. Some of the BOSS pedals are pretty good overall, like the Blues Driver. However, the Waza Craft Blues Driver is so much better. When I had mine, I never used it in standard mode. When it comes to the SD-1W, it's actually really good both ways. It has a greater bypass than any of the other BOSS pedals I've owned for whatever reason.

Like I said, if you're looking for a tad more gain, the SD-1W will do it. If you're looking for more gain than that and don't have room for the BB+, then get a JHS Moonshine. I can fawn over that pedal all day too because it's amazing and the gain is significantly more, but it's not a distortion. You can get them used for a great price or new for around $190-200.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageRiffer View Post
                              [lots of interesting stuff] ... SD-1W will do it. If you're looking for more gain than that and don't have room for the BB+, then get a JHS Moonshine.
                              Thanks for the additional info, appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X