Boss SD-1 mod suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss SD-1 mod suggestions

Add another diode to the clippers so you have four of em running in two pairs, symmetrically if you want more headroom and output and less of that signature sd-1 "rip".
    Change c3 to .1uf if you really feel the need for a more fulldrive like low end.
    Don't spend more than a buck on parts.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by raistlin View Post
      Thanks , I will give it a whirl tomorrow. I should also mention that my pup height (all vintage output SDs) is rather low (almost flush) and am using moderate action.
      Yes, it could. You may not be feeding enough signal to anything. General rule of thumb for the bridge pickup (as a starting point), hold down the strings at the highest fret, adjust the treble side to about the thickness of a nickel from the strings and about the thickness of 2 nickels stacked on the low e string.

And as mentioned, you can't get power tube saturation at low volumes, volume is what causes power tube saturation. Not turning up the MV and turning down the preamp, it has to be actual signal pushing the power tubes past their limits.

I have an SD-1 that I have done a bunch of mods to, not even sure exactly which ones, but it can be a great pedal, although, it might not be what you are looking for(?). I would probably recommend the OD-3 over the SD-1 for low volume blues tones out of a clean-ish amp.

Comment

Thanks for everyone that replied.

I have replaced the resistors and the diodes (2 LEDs in D4 and D6, D5 jumpered) according to the CJOD mod, and it gives much more gain and volume (though more trebly) that I can use it on the clean setting. Doesn't sound like a Vox anymore though, more like a high-gain Marshall.

The caps haven't arrived yet unfortunately, so it's still pending.

Can't wait.

Comment

All wired up!

First impressions: much more adjustability compared to stock. Stock was raspy, the od was rather subtle, so much so there was barely preceptible difference in the clean channel.

Now on the clean, level at 9 o clock I get this almost Marshall like roar! Still not a power tube OD but I can get two tones from my Vox now; the Vox chime and when I want to rock out , the modded Boss.
          Thanks for everyone's comments , you guys are the best!

Comment

Working...
          X